Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What are the top 3 things you look for in a flashlight for hunting? >

What are the top 3 things you look for in a flashlight for hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What are the top 3 things you look for in a flashlight for hunting?

Old 03-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What are the top 3 things you look for in a flashlight for hunting?

Maglite, Maglite, Maglite... I wish. I love those things.

Maglites add too much weight to my already often heavy pack, (All i have is the big one, I lostmy mini-maglite[:@])especiallybecause my favorite couple hot spots are on a shelf, on avery steep ridge. As already stated, any dependable and bright light will do, as long as it has some reach.

edit: I guess I'm confused about what the flashlight is needed for.. For tracking a deer/bloodtrail in the dark, I like a regular flashlight..To get in my stands in the morning, I use a green or red LED that attaches to my hat, but sometimes use a regular flashlight. In some spots, it is a lot safer touse the LED andbe hands-free in the dark.. I've busted my butt more than a few times.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

HEADLAMPS!!!!!

Being able to use both your hands and not having to worry about keeping the light positioned correctly!!!!
Old 03-31-2009, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like a flashlight that will last a long time an is bright enough to find blood. Sometimesexcess light is overkill when looking for blood an of course hands free.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:58 AM
Fork Horn

a bright headlamp is the main thing I carry then a back up 4D mag for bloodtrailing if needed
Old 04-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try not to use a light while going to stand, if I need one I usually use a headlight though. I have a princeton tec eos, the new one that is about 50 lumens on high but has dimmer settings as well..
I do have a Jet III M though, it's a tactical light. Small, waterproof, 225 Lumens and will shine 250 yds effectively. It's programmable, ya get high (225 lumen) then you can program from .3 lumen all the way up or choose a strobe, strobe speed etc.. Surefire started the whole thing with the small super lights (torches) but there are many top brands now. Including JetBeam and Olight, the big thing is the new Cree Led..

Anyway.. I like small, and durable with high burn times. When needed it's usually the headlight though, can't beat hands free..
Old 04-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

For the most part, I use headlamps. Keeps my hands free to carry stuff and climb. Always shining where I'm looking. I prefer the ones that have an elastic band and a second one running front to back. I look for bright ones and if its got a red light option the better. I also look for ones that have an on/off button that you can operate with gloves on. Some I've got are good lights but the push button is a bit inset and hard to push in with gloves on. They're small enough you can carry a second one in your pocket just in case the batteries die in the other. They pretty much serve all my needs. If I need to do more tracking, I'm usually taking my stuff back anyway and can get more or a bigger light.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use a Princeton Led head light for walking in and out...

For tracking...I want a focusing LED that uses AA or AAA batteries...I don't want it too bright because it can actually wash out the blood that you are looking for...We used to use a Coleman gas lantern because it made the blood glow...A few years ago, I noticed that a LED light could do the same...
After buying and trying several I found this one to be the best for my purposes:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=244292-13229-244292&lpage=none

The reason??? You can focus the beam, this helps tremendously...Too much light, like with a 2-D LED MagLight and you don't see the blood glowing back...
Old 04-02-2009, 04:47 AM

I just use them led cats eyes that mount on the brim of your hat. They are very light and inexpensive, they are also durable and last for along time. I think ive had the light for 2 years and havent ran out of battery. Use it for fishing and hunting.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a surefire and love it!!
Old 04-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mconwa951

a bright headlamp is the main thing I carry then a back up 4D mag for bloodtrailing if needed
Times 2 Same for me.

Quick Reply: What are the top 3 things you look for in a flashlight for hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.