HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How hard is it to put up hang on stands solo? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/290344-how-hard-put-up-hang-stands-solo.html)

saltflyz 03-27-2009 03:12 PM

How hard is it to put up hang on stands solo?

I have 2 hang ons, each with 3 feet of 5' climbing sticks. I assumethat I put sections on and work my way up and then hang the stand (with my harness on of course). Any tips?

Thx

Siman08/OH 03-27-2009 03:48 PM

RE: How hard is it to put up hang on stands solo?

I hang most of my stands by myself. I put the climbing sticks up one at a time then throw my stand over my should and climb up and hang it by holding on with my legs.

Cougar Mag 03-27-2009 03:55 PM

I tell everyone to have a safety belt or harness around the tree while hanging stands.

Having said that, I've hung and still hang stands unattached to the tree[X(]. I carry some of my stands with one hand while climbing with the other. But the tricky part is holding on to the tree, holding the stand with one hand and throwing the chain or strap around with the other, then fastening the chain or strap on while still holding on to the tree. I guess I have been lucky in that I haven't fallen..............so far.

Ben / PA 03-27-2009 04:09 PM

If you have an average amount of athletic ability, you will be fine. Just be careful.

early in 03-27-2009 05:03 PM

I put this safety belt together for just that purpose. It has two hooks, one on each side. One for the bow and the other for the stand. It features a lanyard with a prussic/carabiner to keep you secure and hands free to install the stand once you're at hunting height.

kwilson16 03-27-2009 05:26 PM

Use a lineman's belt and harness for safety.

Put a cheap hardware store hanger in the tree to hold the stand while you attach the straps.

NC hunter 03-27-2009 05:52 PM

Easiest,safest way I've seen is with a strap,rope and pully. Always attach steps as others have said while wearing saftey harness lineman style. Have a camlock strap with S-hooks rigged up with a pulley on one of the hooks with30 ft or so light ropeon the pully. Tie one end of the rope to the top of the stand before going up,tie a big knot in the other end so it can't fall out of pulley. Hook strap on a loop in saftey harness. Hang steps,while at top reach as high as safe,wrap strap around tree hooking bare hook into the eye of the pully hook adjust so pulley is offset to the side of steps (where you want the stand)and pull tight. Back down a few steps grab knotted end of rope hoist the stand to where you want it tie off to offside top step now both hands are free to fasten stand. Remove strap with pulley and move on to the next stand. One trip up the tree,no acrobatics or broken bones and with a little practice only a few minutes to get the job done.

early in 03-27-2009 05:58 PM

ORIGINAL: NC hunter

Easiest,safest way I've seen is with a strap,rope and pully. Always attach steps as others have said while wearing saftey harness lineman style. Have a camlock strap with S-hooks rigged up with a pulley on one of the hooks with 30 ft or so light rope on the pully. Tie one end of the rope to the top of the stand before going up,tie a big knot in the other end so it can't fall out of pulley. Hook strap on a loop in saftey harness. Hang steps,while at top reach as high as safe,wrap strap around tree hooking bare hook into the eye of the pully hook adjust so pulley is offset to the side of steps (where you want the stand)and pull tight. Back down a few steps grab knotted end of rope hoist the stand to where you want it tie off to offside top step now both hands are free to fasten stand. Remove strap with pulley and move on to the next stand. One trip up the tree,no acrobatics or broken bones and with a little practice only a few minutes to get the job done.
Do you know what KISS stands for?:eek::D:D:D

NC hunter 03-27-2009 06:02 PM

Sorry it won't let me edit. I just thought about the steps attach first one from the ground,have second and third rigged with a short rope loop and hang them on top step of first section. Climb up attach second section,hang third on top of it climb up hang third then stand. HTH

early in 03-27-2009 06:18 PM

NC, I was just messing with you. Your way is fine too.