Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is my arrow really heavy? >

Is my arrow really heavy?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is my arrow really heavy?

Old 04-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is my arrow really heavy?

ORIGINAL: TFOX

Even if an elk takes a step at 84 yards,he is still dead,he has a freaking kill zone the size of a satelite dish.An arrow will cover that distance in well under a second.

Deer move at 15 yards as much or more than an elk will at 80 if he is feeding and relaxed.

Everyone has THEIR ethics,stick to them and you will be an ethical hunter.
Wow, will all due respect I have to disagree, sure elk are huge but not that huge, an average mature bull weighs in between 650 to 850 pounds. The vital area (broadside dubble lung, or bilateralphumothorax) formost mature bullsis on average between 13" and 16" just depending upon the size of the bull. Of couse cows and smaller bulls have smallervital areas andyou can have bulls that would be bigger than that. When elk walk they move at average speed of 9 miles/hour becasue they have a long stride, better than most horses.As far as when they are feeding sure they could just move a few inches at most but they can also move up 2 to 3 feet with ease in less than a second or in less time it takes for a arrow to get there.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MathewsShooter30

i do not know what spine of an arrow is????

I am shooting 65-70 draw weight and a 29.5 draw length with a 2005 Mathews LX bow...

With a 440 grain arrow it shot 265 something

what spine should I get? What arrow is suggested?
Lets get back on track here all this pissing and moaning about ethics, this and that are not helping the original poster 1 bit.

MS30.

What arrows are you currently using and what arrows is your Dad shooting.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Kanga!

I do want help finding arrows!!! Dad has the Carbon Express 6075 in a 350 shaft

Old 04-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

ttt
Old 04-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

please help with the arrow question!!!

post #72
Old 04-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot a similar bow to your Mathews and like my arrows around 425 grains.

I have XX75s 2219s that weigh over well over 500 grains and dont like the way they fly out of my bow. They are quiet though. My Axis 340s weigh about 425 and are quiet with good penetration. My Maxima 350s weigh about 375 and fly well and shoot flat but I notice they are a bit louder at the shot.

I use the Axis arrows most of the time and have tuned the bow and rest for those arrows. When I shoot the 2219s I use my 50 yard pin on 40 yard shots. When I shoot the Maximas at 40 yards I split the pins between the 30 and 50 yard pins.

No harm in getting a half dozen lighter carbons and giving them a try. Just make sure they are spined right.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:38 AM
Fork Horn

what do you guys mean when you say "make sure there spined right"?
Old 04-07-2009, 03:56 AM
Banned

what do you guys mean when you say "make sure there spined right"?

STATIC SPINE is the stiffness of the arrow and its resistance to bending. To determine statice spine, the arrow is supported a two points a known distance apart and a force is applied to the center of the distance, usually through a weight. The amount of displacement of the center point, how far it drops, determines the spine. Arrows with a high spine will not sag as much as arrows with a low spine.

With a compound, I liked shooting paper, that is, a large piece of paper set up to shoot your arrows through, maybe 5-10 yards from the shooter.

When you do this, your arrow SHOULD tear a "perfect" hole, right? It should punch a nice, pretty hole, with the fletching tears in the right place etc.

That's the goal, that's rarely where you'll start at.

Your arrows can rip/tear holes up, down, left and right, and its in large part due to arrow spine (assuming your rest is set up correctly)

Your arrows flex (archer's paradox) when you shoot - but there are some arrows that don't flex enough or flex too much, depending on spine.

You can affect the spine of your arrows by cutting them shorter ( increases spine, you're making them stiffer) or adding weight to the points (weakens the stiffness) or a variety of other ways too.

I'm shooting a recurve, fingers, instinctive, so paper shooting doesn't work well for me. For me, I shoot bare shaft, and I cut 1/2" at a time off new arrows, or I can add weight to the points by going from 125 gr points to 150 to 200 etc .... and there will be one spot (like right now I think I shoot 29 1/2" ICS400 shafts, weight tubes, 5" feathers, 100 gr inserts and 160 gr head) and they are GORGEOUS in flight.

Go to 125 grains up front instead of the 260 I have and I'v just stiffened up the arrow a LOT - and I won't get as good a flight as I did.

Your fletching will stabilize your arrows a LOT - however starting with arrows that fly really well and THEN adding the fletching is the way you really want to go.

There are a lot of spine charts that will give you an idea of where to start on arrow selection/choice

Old 04-07-2009, 03:59 AM
Banned

I use aluminum arrows still and had it weighed the other day... it weighs 510 grains!!![:@] I picked up over 30 feet per second shooting my dads 440 grain arrows!
Don't use the angry symbol - speed isn't near all its cracked up to be. In fact, its a selling point to dupe most archers into buying new equipment IMO.

And those 440 gr arrows with a nice 3 blade fixed head would have likely hit all over the place. Why?

Spine

Old 04-07-2009, 06:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Stealthy:

Explain archer's paradox, as it pertains to the compound shooter, utilizng a center shot bow.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Is my arrow really heavy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.