Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is my arrow really heavy? >

Is my arrow really heavy?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is my arrow really heavy?

Old 04-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Is my arrow really heavy?

i do not know what spine of an arrow is????

I am shooting 65-70 draw weight and a 29.5 draw length with a 2005 Mathews LX bow...

With a 440 grain arrow it shot 265 something

what spine should I get? What arrow is suggested?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

So, even the "best" bowhunters make poor shots . Imagine that .
Old 04-02-2009, 11:31 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

What I asked was:

Have you ever made a poor shot in your 40 years of hunting?

Simple enough question. Really, it only takes a yes or no.
Since you can't figure it out. I'll say yes I have made a poor shot, but one a heavier arrow would have fixed? No definitely not!!

Matter of fact the shoot that comes to mind might have been fixed with a lighter arrow. I was shooting logs back then and did not have a range finder. I missed the yardage and hit the deer high in the leg.

Boy! Wish I'd been shooting a heavier arrowThose only weighed about 550 grains.

Pardon me while I press the ITI button and go get my 458 Mag out to shoot a few Starlings.

The rest of you can build compensating arrows for poor shots.

Dan
I thought you just used a X-bow/ arrow gun?

Old 04-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Shot an Elk at 84 yards with a 400 grain arrow, and blew clean through him. It was wide open country and I had stalked this Bull for 3 hours. We had been shooting up to 90 yards all summer and I felt confident in the shot.

I never did find the arrow, but the Bull only went 60 yards.

Did I hit major bone? Nope! but if I had it would have been a poor shot. A poor shot is a poor shot, and IMHO another 100 to 150 grains on the arrow would not have made a difference if the shot was poor.

I've been chasing critters all over the US and Canada for over 40 years. A medium weight arrow 6 to 7 grains per pound is adequate for anything I hunt, although like I stated I will under certain circumstances use a heavier arrow as I am not really Pro light or Pro Heavy.

I had rather match the setup for the game intended.

One mind set that is totally wrong IMO is that Big broadheads or Heavy arrows will fix poor shots. They will NOT!! Only take a shot where you know you can place the arrow where it needs to be.

I will not use expandables because of things seen and experienced.

Dan
Heavy arrow or light I would suggest that you work on your stalking skills and or calling skills, sure elk are a big target but 84 yards is stupid IMO. Yes you and I and most otherarchers can learn to hit a 6" bulls eye out to 100 yards, but even with the fastes bows andarrow set up it takes some time for a arrow to travel 80 yards. Enough time for a elk or any other animal to move and have that vital hit become a wounding hit. Not saying it can't be done, you and othersprove that point. But I would bet that for every animal killed over 60 yards that one or maybe two are wounded.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I hunted Elk in Idaho or many places I have been a shot of that distance would have been out of the question. The Elk in the Desert regions inhabit areas more like an Antelope would.

My Stalking skills are very adequate Thank You![8D]but I'm sure you could have stalked right up on himor hid behind that Tumbleweed and called him inEver hunted Desert Elk?

I was prepared to shoot out to that range on advice from the natives in the area. I'm glad I listened. The Bull was a 6X6 that scored over 300" and adorns my wall. The other guy in my party that shot an Elk had a close shot. I think it was only 71 yards.

When I hunt I go to Kill something. If I loved camping, and bird watching that's what I'd be into.

Dan
Old 04-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

No I have never hunted elk in the dessert but here in south Idaho we do have high dessert areas such as the snake river valley where I live. And with that said I have hunted antelope and have seen many elk on the dessert area's while antelope hunting. I alsoknow and agree it can bevery hard to stalk when the grass in 4" high at most but it can be done wtih decoys and calling usinggood camo with natural blinds or ground blinds,much like antelpe hunting. But that isn't my point my point is that 84 yards is too far to be a 100% sure thing. And posting and bragging about it on the internet for some newby to read isn't a goodidea. I still think that it isa stupid idea and not wise to shoot that far, and yes I have argued with many of folks over this including some friends.Also I still stick to my guns on believing that for every animal killed at those ranges that one or two are wounded.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also I hate to bring this up, but you are the type of hunter that I warn my studends aboutduring archey ed class. Meaning that you were quick to bring up that it was a 300 plus 6 point bull. Like that justifies the distance that the shot was taken at. I tell my studends that is sad that some archeys throw thier ethics out the window when a big trophy or mature animal is on the line.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: idahoelkinstructor

Also I hate to bring this up, but you are the type of hunter that I warn my studends aboutduring archey ed class. Meaning that you were quick to bring up that it was a 300 plus 6 point bull. Like that justifies the distance that the shot was taken at. I tell my studends that is sad that some archeys throw thier ethics out the window when a big trophy or mature animal is on the line.
Wouldn't matter to me whether it's a trophy or not. If I want to kill it and the shot is one I'm confident in I'll take it. Cow, Bull, Raghorn, whatever.

I passed a 170 class Whitetail year before last at 8 yards because the shot was not right. It's not all about distanceSure everyone has an effective range that's different, but they should know what that range is. Mine is around 50 yards now. Eyes are not what they used to be.

You told me I should learn to stalk or call better. Maybe I should tell you to learn to shoot better[8D]

There are more Deer wounded and not found every year shot at 25 yards or less than there are shot at 50 yards or more.

Having the right shot is about a lot of things. Only one of which is being in that individual archers effective rangebut then distance is easy to preach on, and say if you shoot farther than me then you are not ethical

Dan
Old 04-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wouldn't matter to me whether it's a trophy or not. If I want to kill it and the shot is one I'm confident in I'll take it. Cow, Bull, Raghorn, whatever.

I passed a 170 class Whitetail year before last at 8 yards because the shot was not right. It's not all about distanceSure everyone has an effective range that's different, but they should know what that range is. Mine is around 50 yards now. Eyes are not what they used to be.

You told me I should learn to stalk or call better. Maybe I should tell you to learn to shoot better[8D]

There are more Deer wounded and not found every year shot at 25 yards or less than there are shot at 50 yards or more.

Having the right shot is about a lot of things. Only one of which is being in that individual archers effective rangebut then distance is easy to preach on, and say if you shoot farther than me then you are not ethical

Dan
[/quote]

Dan first of all please don't think that I am saying your a bad person or anything like that, like I said I have had this dissussion with many of people and close friends who believe it or not are still friends lol. And your right about one thing too I too need to practice shooting, I admit I am a good shot but with that said our shop shooters kick my butt! But then again they also rank high in Vegas and also in Redding cal, but just one day I would love to kick there butts on the 3-d range, so yes i too need to practice. Ok now I got a question for you. Being compleatly honest how do you have total confidence in a 84 yard shot. Sure at a 3d target I myself have confidence too, but only becasue the target can't move. My whole point is even if everything is pefect, at 84 yards that a animal has time to move and the shot therfore will be off its intended mark. I don't care who is holding the bow, the best of the best in the world can still end up wounding a animal becaue its simply out of thier control. And that is why I say its a stupid shot an a decision. And I will climb down off my soap box and will not speak about this again, so we can go back to arguing about either a light or heavy arrow.

I should also add that I was wrong about about you, if you will truly shoot that distance at any animal and not just big or trohpy size animalsthe you are not that type of hunter after all. As already mentioned I of course don't agree with you about that point, so I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only way possible that would be Is because allot less people take 50 yard shots. If there was just as many shots at 50 that there's at 25, that's a no brainer on what yardage will have better stats.

Quick Reply: Is my arrow really heavy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.