Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is my arrow really heavy? >

Is my arrow really heavy?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is my arrow really heavy?

Old 03-28-2009, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is my arrow really heavy?

I like that Arc, nothing like seeing your arrow drop right in the pocket!
Old 03-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

haha yea i dont know what im gonna do now?? I just think i like the way it shoots better with the lighter arrow
Old 03-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Dominant Buck

It's not terribly heavy, but heavy by most people today, but I think it's about perfect. LOL. I used to shoot 525 and found them great. Even now that I've gone to carbons I still shoot 473 or something like that. Don't worry if it's too heavy if you like them. It'll shoot through a Dodge.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

There should be balance in everything. Some go Heavy, heavy and won't shoot anything else.

Others shoot arrows extremely light and some even below IBO minimum weight. Not Good!!

I personally feel something in the middle gives you the best of both worlds. I prefer to shoot somewhere around 6 to 7 grains per pound, with a minimum FOC of at least 12%.A well tuned arrow at those specs will have more than adequate penetrating power for anything on North America.

Dan
Old 03-29-2009, 06:29 AM

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

There should be balance in everything. Some go Heavy, heavy and won't shoot anything else.

Others shoot arrows extremely light and some even below IBO minimum weight. Not Good!!

I personally feel something in the middle gives you the best of both worlds. I prefer to shoot somewhere around 6 to 7 grains per pound, with a minimum FOC of at least 12%.A well tuned arrow at those specs will have more than adequate penetrating power for anything on North America.

Dan
And the winner is....
Old 03-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a arrow that is 380, it is fast and it has past threw ever time. But i am shooting a dream season and it is a fast bow
Old 03-30-2009, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

First off, 510 gr is BAD MEDICINE !!!!!

If your main target is deer I am not sure you really NEED that heavy of an arrow.

If you dropped down to about 430-440gr you will still have plenty of juice + the performance boost from some more speed.

I think the sweet spot for many bows is about 270 FPS and I will usually tinker with arrow weight till I get close to the 270 mark.

This has worked on many different bows and may work for you.

I also (for hunting) prefer a heavier broad head/stiffer spine combination to a lite broad head/soft spine combination.

I believe stiffer spine arrows penetrate better.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

yea that what i was thinking id move down too... a 440 grain including a 100 grain broad head
Old 03-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Banned

I shoot 700 grain total arrow weight (not compound, a recurve)

I wish, looking back, I'd have shot that arrow weight with compounds. I think a 600 or even 700 mandatory arrow weight would do nothing but HELP archery
Old 03-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: stealthycat II
I think a 600 or even 700 mandatory arrow weight would do nothing but HELP archery
I respectfully disagree. Arrow weight will not fix idiots who do Not know how to select the proper shot.

Besides that kind of arrow weight out of a compound is totally unnessary.

Dan

Quick Reply: Is my arrow really heavy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.