Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is my arrow really heavy? >

Is my arrow really heavy?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is my arrow really heavy?

Old 04-07-2009, 06:56 AM
Banned

Default RE: Is my arrow really heavy?

GMMAT

Centershot is how the riser is cut - not the position of the arrow rest. Your rest can be off left/right/up/down

But yes, on a compound the flexing isn't going to be as dramatic because of the way the rests are set up. True.

Still, the correct spine arrows is going to make a difference, isn't it ?
Old 04-07-2009, 06:56 AM
Banned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archer's_paradox

Old 04-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Dominant Buck

IMO (speaking strictly compound bows)....It makes a difference if:

1. You're UNDERspined and shooting FP's/BH's.
2. You're over/underspined and shooting BH's.

FP's and overspined.....no problem.
Mech.'s and overspined.....no problem.

I've shot ridiculously overspined arrows and mechanicals with no issues at eastern hunting distances (out of a compound).
Old 04-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Banned

I'm of the opinions a bad flying arrow is bad flying and tipping them with mechanicals don't fix that problem, ever.

I know this - if its pouring rain and my feathers are wet flat to my shafts, i've got 100% confidence they'll shoot great with broadheads on them at a deer. Why? They're cut down and played with until they fit my bow and shooting style.

But like most things in compound hunting anymore, people will do it how they want to regardless .......

Old 04-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stealthycat II

I'm of the opinions a bad flying arrow is bad flying and tipping them with mechanicals don't fix that problem, ever.

I know this - if its pouring rain and my feathers are wet flat to my shafts, i've got 100% confidence they'll shoot great with broadheads on them at a deer. Why? They're cut down and played with until they fit my bow and shooting style.

But like most things in compound hunting anymore, people will do it how they want to regardless .......
I agree with all of this. If an arrow is not spined right then there won't be an efficient transfer of energy from the bow to the arrow and poor arrow flight. Bad flying arrow with less energy than it should have could cause penetration issues.

I had a similar conversation recently and was asked if I ever shot a bareshaft with a broadhead. I had but I did it again a few days ago after setting up the bow and arrow. I tuned them by adjusting DW and arrow tip weight so I didn't move my rest from centershot. At 20 yds the bareshaft with the BH(muzzy phantom)hit 1" left and 2" low from the POI of the fletched FP. I figured that was good enough for me.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Banned

FAST also means more finicky, either in bow design or tune-ability is also my experience.

So I don't mind 165 fps 700 gr arrows to be honest - of course I don't shoot 84 yards, I manage to bowhunt my way into the 10-12 yard range
Old 04-07-2009, 02:06 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Spine will depend on the length of the arrow and what weight you are using on the tip. The different companies have different designations for the spine. In an Easton you would probably need a 340 in a carbon or composite shaft.

Here is a good article on spine.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2007-Carbon-Arrows/arrow-selection-guide3.htm
Old 04-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

GMMAT

Centershot is how the riser is cut - not the position of the arrow rest. Your rest can be off left/right/up/down

But yes, on a compound the flexing isn't going to be as dramatic because of the way the rests are set up. True.

Still, the correct spine arrows is going to make a difference, isn't it ?

A bow's centershot is the power path of the cams and string.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

IMO (speaking strictly compound bows)....It makes a difference if:

1. You're UNDERspined and shooting FP's/BH's.
2. You're over/underspined and shooting BH's.

FP's and overspined.....no problem.
Mech.'s and overspined.....no problem.

I've shot ridiculously overspined arrows and mechanicals with no issues at eastern hunting distances (out of a compound).

Overspined makes a difference regardless of what the arrow is tipped with,just not as much difference as underspined.

You WILL NOT see a 70 meter compound person shooting grossly overspined arrows that are competitive in world competition.Even pro indoor spot shooters will increase point weight to get the dynamic spine on their oversppined arrows to within an acceptable range.

The grossly overspined arrow can cause forgiveness issues and even penetration issues,dependant upon which way the bow is tuned.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Everyone has THEIR ethics,stick to them and you will be an ethical hunter.
hmmmmmmmmmm

so if I go out and buy a setup compound tonight from a pawn shop, an odd mix of arrows and old broadheads, don't practice shoot and go out tomorrow morning and shoot at/wound a couple of big bucks you're fine with that, right ?

I mean, I'm legal in doing it, its my personal ethics, not yours - right ?

Ethics is taking shots you are comfortable taking and you believe you will make a killing shot.When we start imposing our ethics on others and the way we hunt is the only ethical way to hunt,then that is where we are overstepping our boundaries.

When you take shots you don't think you can make,then imo,that is when you become unethical but I am not your keeper.

Quick Reply: Is my arrow really heavy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.