HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Jan 27 ice storm (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/290093-jan-27-ice-storm.html)

lnen#1 03-24-2009 09:08 PM

Jan 27 ice storm

Had a recent horrific ice storm recently. Me and gri22ly went shed hunting to find out ourwoods we hunt are in total dissaray, treetops scatter our landscape and is obvious that things are going to be tough due to all the clutter on the forest floor. I've read in the past that blow overs are the hardest to hunt. Were trying a new tactic this upcoming season. Our primary trails are going to be totally different. Just wonder with our new problem , how should we approach this upcoming season. We know the big boys are still there. Navigating in and out of this mess has us concerned. What I'm wondering if any one has dealt with this prediciment, what you guys would do to comprimise our situation. Our big ones are still there, we hope. Just wondering how you guys would approach this dramatically changed landscape. We know they will be keeing on the obvious, food shelter and protection will utimatly be the deciding factors. It is freaking mess here in west KY, just looking for some other avenues we could adress to our problem. Any possible soulutions you may have will help tremendously. Thanks guys!!

gregrn43 03-24-2009 11:57 PM

RE: Jan 27 ice storm

Its the same here in northeast Arkansas. Our woods got shattered, hard to believe ice can cause so much damage. I just finished cleaning up my food plots. One plot I cut 4 rick of wood out of it. All the trails have changed, its gonna be different hunting next season thats for certain. If a person had been in the woods when all this happened, I really dont think you would have walked out alive. In all my years of hunting this is the worst that I have ever seen.

LittleChief 03-25-2009 04:21 AM

I know what you're talking about. I spent weekend before last on our lease in Ravenden, AR working like a dog just trying to cut the trees that had fallen across the roads. I don't think there's a tree on that 530 acres that didn't have some kind of damage. A lot of the trees that are downare huge red oaks, white oaks and a butt-load of cedars. Cutting these things is dangerous considering the pressure that's on them. I'll be going back next weekend to try to finish. At this point, all we're trying to accomplish is getting the downed trees on the road cut so the owner can bring in a dozer and push the roads clear.I know that normally a deer will take the path of lease resistance.I'd be willing to bet that those deer will be using those roads this coming season. Unless scouting reveals something different, you can bet that I'll be setting up within bow range of the road.

On another note, those woods will still be dangerous for some time to come. There are "widow makers" hanging in so many trees. At some point those things will fall, and I'd be willing to bet that a windy day this fall will make the "pucker factor" high when hunting those woods. Pick yourroutes in and stand sitescarefully.;)

gregrn43 03-25-2009 07:15 PM

I hear ya little chief. The woods are still dangerous. The treesdont want to fall like you want them to. Lots of limbs putting pressure on some of the trees making them do the twist when they fall. I for one am glad were getting close to being done. Still have a few more logging roads to clear out, but were getting close. I was tickled to death just to get my plots cleaned up. Good luck to ya.

drockw 03-25-2009 08:00 PM

I dont even want to see what our hunting spots look like right now:eek: We worked real hard last year gettin it all right and now all of this happens. We spent alot of hours cuttin and pickin the best spots etc and it all payed off. Its gonna be even harder this year.

Derek