Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Passing on it

Old 03-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default Passing on it

Last year on about sept 28, two weeks into the season I passed on a 8 pt. He wasn't a basket rack 14" maybe15" inside spread
he was 15 yards away.I drew on him put 20yrd pin on the spot then let him walk. I new I would see a bigger one, guess what
I never did, last two weeks of the season I started thinking maybe I should of shot him and while sitting in the stand those last couple of weeks
wishing he would walk by. Now that the season is over and I did shoot a few doe's I'm glade he didn't walk by those last couple week's be cause I would of shot him. If I would have shot him. I would look at him on the wall and say to myself I should have let him go besides he will be a nice buck next year and I gurantee I wont be passing on him.Have you ever second guessed yourself while hunting?
Old 03-22-2009, 04:43 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Passing on it

ORIGINAL: jag-mag

Have you ever second guessed yourself while hunting?
It still happens to me even after hunting for 18 years for big bucks. I just keep telling myself that I won't get a truly big buck if I shoot that medium one. Also, I do what you do and think about how happy I'll be if I do take him. I've taken quite a few big ones so it is easier for me to pass smaller ones now days, but second guessing still gets in my head once in a while.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto there i don't think you can really get comfortable with passing and not get that second chance feeling but in the end I always feel better..Because the old adage stills stands "You can't take back a shot after it is made", but you second guess a pass and right or wrong you still feel pretty good about yourself in the end.. Walt
ORIGINAL: GregH

Have you ever second guessed yourself while hunting?
It still happens to me even after hunting for 18 years for big bucks. I just keep telling myself that I won't get a truly big buck if I shoot that medium one. Also, I do what you do and think about how happy I'll be if I do take him. I've taken quite a few big ones so it is easier for me to pass smaller ones now days, but second guessing still gets in my head once in a while.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Last year on about sept 28, two weeks into the season I passed on a 8 pt. He wasn't a basket rack 14" maybe15" inside spread
he was 15 yards away.I drew on him put 20yrd pin on the spot then let him walk. I new I would see a bigger one, guess what
I never did, last two weeks of the season I started thinking maybe I should of shot him and while sitting in the stand those last couple of weeks
wishing he would walk by. Now that the season is over and I did shoot a few doe's I'm glade he didn't walk by those last couple week's be cause I would of shot him. If I would have shot him. I would look at him on the wall and say to myself I should have let him go besides he will be a nice buck next year and I gurantee I wont be passing on him.Have you ever second guessed yourself while hunting?
Yes I have. Above, you described almost exactly what happened to me early on in the season last year. Here's the buck, when I look back on it, that I should have shot. I had him at 10yrds, didn't shoothim and he walked right past my trail cam!

Old 03-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Passed on a 140ish inch 9 pt on Oct. 24 at 8:53 A.M. He looked to be only about 2 1/2 yr old. He hung around for 15 minutes and I let him walk and ended up not getting another big boy in range. I know he'll be a monster this year but I can still remember every detail of the hunt because I still second guess my decision since I dont know if Ill ever see him again.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

My experiance is similar, but different. I have not shot any real good deer with the bow yet. Some nice deer with the rifle though and i have passed on a lot of OK bucks with the rifle. Every year, if i passed up a buck, I've had a better one come out later that year except one year. If it's meat, I'll take a doe. If I want another buck, I want it for the wall. It is still a good hunt to pass on a buck. Smaller bucks are fun to mess with too.
Dandbuck