HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Whats the deal? Quartering to shots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/289734-whats-deal-quartering-shots.html)

sr77 03-20-2009 07:31 PM

Whats the deal? Quartering to shots

I am noticing that on more and more shows on TV this is becoming an acceptable shot to take. What's the deal? Is this shot now all the sudden acceptable? I would never take it myself, but would like to hear what all of you think about it or have noticed the same thing I have on these shows.

Shane

fingerz42 03-20-2009 07:33 PM

RE: Whats the deal? Quartering to shots

I know! I see this all the time on TV now. I'll be watching saying no, no, no... and what do they do.. they shoot. What the hell?

drockw 03-20-2009 08:57 PM

Unless its a monster and I think its the last chance, there is NO WAY I would take a quartering to shot. To not hit the shoulder, and get a good vital shot, the margin of error is soooo small its ridiculous. I thinksome of it is over confidence in large diameter cutting broadheads.

derek

Huntinman23 03-20-2009 09:33 PM

ORIGINAL: drockw

Unless its a monster and I think its the last chance, there is NO WAY I would take a quartering to shot. To not hit the shoulder, and get a good vital shot, the margin of error is soooo small its ridiculous. I thinksome of it is over confidence in large diameter cutting broadheads.

derek
I completely agree with this, with all the "pros" shooting large diameter cutting heads they probably think that it will do the trick and they don't care where they hit the deer.

OHbowhntr 03-20-2009 09:44 PM

It depends on the angle to me. A mild quarter-to, is ok, but a sharp quarter-to is a mistake, especially with a mechanical as the ribs are designed to have a better tolerance of a "frontal" attack, and you're less likely to get good penetration and more likely to have a glancing wound based purely on the way the ribs themselves are designed.

tky1187 03-21-2009 04:04 AM

They are taking the shots but they are also getting the deer. I think it's hare to argue with that.

Tribal 03-21-2009 05:34 AM

To me this would be the exact reason not to risk the shot on a animal especially a rare trophy. Why in the heck would I want to wound it if that small margine of error becomes a reality? Just cause you see it on shows does not mean you have to be a risk taker. Wait for the shot! If you don't have it the deer lives another day. If all your worried about is a monster then wait for rifle season. This is why we bowhunt. Right? MAny times I would believe the camera angle is different from the hunters actual view.

BGfisher 03-21-2009 06:03 AM

derek
Although I agree with most of this I have to say it doesn't matter whether it's a monster or not. My ethics remain the same.

You guys have to consider that most of these guys are not hunting for the meat or even a trophy. They are doing so to make and sell videos and get on TV. Therefore they have to shoot something. There's big money involved.

fingerz42 03-21-2009 06:18 AM

ORIGINAL: tky1187

They are taking the shots but they are also getting the deer. I think it's hare to argue with that.
That right there is a poor way to think of it. Just because it works once or on camera, does not mean it should be done. Just because the end result is what you want does not mean that it was done the right way. If my mind could remember philosophy right now, there is a saying about "does the end result justify the mean"... something of the sort. To say just do it because you've seen it work a few times on TV is obsurd. Besides, do you think they would show the shots they took quartering to and lost the deer? No. You want to bet it happened. Oh yeah.

hardcorehunter 03-21-2009 06:21 AM

I rarely watch bowhunting shows, but Iknow what you are saying..last several shows they have done that. Experience longtime ago taught me not to do it