Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is my thinking correct?? >

Is my thinking correct??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is my thinking correct??

Old 03-17-2009, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is my thinking correct??

I was just watching the nuge on the outdoor channel and he arrowed a doe and she starts running off. Well it wasn't a pass through and it sparked my thinking. If your using a fixed blade head and you don't get a pass through with that arrow being in the pump station isn't it just sitting in there thrashing around and cutting even more of the vital organs?? Seems to make sence everytime the deer moves it will move the arrow and it prolly has leverage Also because of the part sticking out?? Anyone shed some light on this one?

Ryan.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Is my thinking correct??

Yes Ryan, your thinking correctly however, I still feel it's better to have the broadhead pass through and exit the body cavity. That way it leaves an exit channel for a better blood trail. I can't imagine exactly how much damage it's actually doing by staying in the body. I'd imagine some but the exit wound I feel would serve a better end result.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah it will slice it up more due to it being thrashed around in the body. Even if it is a mechanical it would still cut because its being thrased. It doesnt matter what type of head it is. I think the only problem with the arrow being still inside of the deer is that typically the arrow stops the majority of the blood from escaping the body because the arrow, in essence, is blocking the wound. But either way if you hit the boiler room or not, and whether it thrashes around and cuts that deer up more, either way, its dead.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, you are right. But, it is a lot better to have a clean pass throughwith an injury all the way through both sides. Most of the time the lower exit wound createsan easier trailing job.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, what they said!!

And if your arrow is laying on the ground it won't get broken by a running deer and you can get valuable information from what you see and smell on the arrow.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Speaking of......... does anybody ever notice that the ol' Nuge doesnt seem to get many pass-thrus??? I dont know if its because of the Magnus Buzz Cuts that he is generally usingor if he is just shooting a low poundage/KE bow??
Old 03-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought I remember him saying that all his bows are setat 50lbs or something like that. Hey it works. I watched that episode tonight aswell and man did the blood pour out when that arrow hit the doe.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

A passthrough is much more important than any cutting the arrow might do inside the body. The passthrough hole allows for an excellent blood trail if needed.

Dan
Old 03-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pass-throughs are my desire as well. Certainly there is a possibility of the BH tearing stuff up a little while inside the body, but if you put it "WHERE IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE," that animal will be dead in short order anyhow.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

what they all said, pass through is the way to go, but if that arrow hits the pump house the deer is dead. The broadhead will thrash around and cut more but that arrow will block the hole and not blood will come out.

Quick Reply: Is my thinking correct??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.