Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is my thinking correct?? >

Is my thinking correct??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is my thinking correct??

Old 03-18-2009, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Is my thinking correct??

So to answer, yes it will do more damage, but dead is dead. The problem then becomes finding the deer. That is why you want the pass thru, for the blood trail. That is also why you want broadside or quartering away, for the blood trail. if you have a quartering too and it comes out the guts, you may have only one lung and the guts plug thw hole. Still a dead deer, but hard to find. Wait for the right shot or wait for the next deer.
Dandbuck
Old 03-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

Personally,I'm more concerned about the actual point of impact than whether or not the shot will result in a complete pass thru. I concentrate soley on hitting vitals, primarily the heart. Usually that will result in a double lung shot as well in almost all hunting situations. If that angle takes the arrow to the off shoulder then so be it. If it is a pass thru then even better, but with a heart shot deer the amount of blood trail isnot a huge issueas it isn't going to travel very far at all.
That being said, most all of my shots result in a pass thru anyway. Lastyears deer was not a pass thru and resulted in the situation you describe. The broadhead ended up just above the heart and absolutely sliced and diced everything in a 6 inch radiusasthe deer ran andfell over 30 yards away.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

The new question is does it counter act the fact of the lack of a blood trail?

What I mean by this is, If the arrow is thrasing about inside the animals chest cavity causing more damage than what was originally caused Wont that mean a faster Expiration. Possiablly a better chance to watch it fall.... Then removing the fact of needing the blood trail. Just my way of thinking

Ryan.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

The new question is does it counter act the fact of the lack of a blood trail?

What I mean by this is, If the arrow is thrasing about inside the animals chest cavity causing more damage than what was originally caused Wont that mean a faster Expiration. Possiablly a better chance to watch it fall.... Then removing the fact of needing the blood trail. Just my way of thinking

Ryan.
IMHO No, You either make a good shot or you don't. You always want a good Blood trail just in case. The difference in all probability would only be a second or less.

I shot a Mulie Buck this past Dec. right through the heart, complete passthrough.He ran Full Bore and expired in less than 40 yards. If the arrow had stayed in him, do you really think he would have fell quicker?

As he turned to run I could see the Blood pouring out, like water out of a faucet.

Dan

Old 03-20-2009, 11:28 PM

No exit wound is especially a problem with deer shot from treestand. The blood just pools up in the body cavity, as the higher entrance wound keeps it there. I'll take an exit wound everytime.
I love Uncle Ted and all, but if he's not getting passthrus with Buzzcuts out of a 50lb bow, what's he doing? Is he clipping the scap or perhaps a hard quartering away shot?
Old 03-21-2009, 01:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

No exit wound is especially a problem with deer shot from treestand. The blood just pools up in the body cavity, as the higher entrance wound keeps it there. I'll take an exit wound everytime.
I love Uncle Ted and all, but if he's not getting passthrus with Buzzcuts out of a 50lb bow, what's he doing? Is he clipping the scap or perhaps a hard quartering away shot?
I agree and you are right on all counts.

Dan