Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowtech Dealership >

Bowtech Dealership

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowtech Dealership

Old 03-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Spike

Default Bowtech Dealership

Do you think in this current economic state the an upstart Bowtech dealership would be sustainable? The local Sportsmans wharehouse is closing and the oppoourtunity to get the dealership is there. Do you think us as bowhunters are going to spend less money on out equipment the we might normally? Are we going to just tune up our old bow? Let me know what you think.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowtech Dealership

You really need a very good population of Bowhunters/Archers in a fairly small area to support a Pro Shop. It can be a challenge to run a profitable shop in many areas, in others not so bad.

I have run a Proshop for years, but always had a second income to help pay the bills. It can lead to lots of hours to keep up with 2 jobs which can also lead to burnout. I'm sure in these economic times it is tougher than ever.

I'm not going to quote $$ but I do know it takes a good chunk of $$ to just buy intial stock for a BowTech dealership much less all the other goodies you need to stock.

Dan
Old 03-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talk to any hunter and most will tell you they will go without other things but hunting gear is one that they will still spend money on. I do taxidermy work and still get more than I want, even this year. I didn't take in as many deer but took in mamy bigger items, ie moose, bear, elk, and 2 bison!?!?! I live in NC so bison are not the norm. I have a feirnd getting ready to open a Pro Shop and he is going to carry Bowtech. I am leaving for Texas at the end of the month for Rio turkey, Audad and javelina, so I know that I am still spending and everyone I know is spending near the usual.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

On the other hand, BowTechhadits biggestJanuary ever this year ...

Old 03-15-2009, 05:41 AM
Spike

One of the guys I know, a very respected bowhunter around these parts, just opened up a Bowtech/Diamond dealership. Don't know how well he will do. He owns the shop, so there is no lease/rent on a building. He also is a sheriff in our county, so it's not like he is relying solely on the archery business to support his family. Nobody sells Bowtech anywhere even close to him either...that's a plus. All the other shops around have either gone under already, or are struggling to stay afloat.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:56 AM
Banned

WOW..a Sportsmans whse closing??!! They have gr8 prices and are a pretty good sporting goods store. Do they have competition? If they can't make it, I would be leary of opening a new bow shop. Even when the economy is bad, people will pay $$ to play...but some of us are playing by letting the 1st guy lose his ass on a new bow, and buying it from him used 2 months later for $300 less, cause he wants something different.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lose $on a 1 year old bow? I've sold lots of one year old bows in the past several years and it is rare indeed that I lose any more than $100 to $150. That's figuring buyingthe bow from another shop in my area. Most are happy to get a one year old bow and save $100 to $150 and my bows are always in like new condition.

Buying almost all my bows at dealer cost. I usually still make money or at least break even after shooting them a year then selling them.

Little price to pay to enjoy the new models out.

I can't even buy some of my sights for that price.

It doesn't surprise me that a SW is going out. I mean look how many stores are going out of business nation wide. It takes Fair prices and top notch customer service to succeed in these times and it still is not a cake walk.

BowTech has been the fastest growing Bow co. for several years now, and they just had their Best Jan. ever.

What's that tell you?

Dan
Old 03-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Spike

Thans Dan,

I really appriecate the imput. What does a corporate advisor do?
Old 03-15-2009, 07:45 AM
Spike

Well Im in a simular situation. I would be opening the shop with a fellow Firefighter. He was the archery manager at the Sportsman Wharehouse so he has a following. Sportsmans sold Bowtech 2-1 over the others there. So we wont be relying on the shop to feed ourselvs and we only work 10 days a month being Firefighters so we have the time. and Joe has the knowledge. Well see. It's up to Bowtech now. should know tommorow.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

WOW..a Sportsmans whse closing??!! They have gr8 prices and are a pretty good sporting goods store. Do they have competition? If they can't make it, I would be leary of opening a new bow shop. Even when the economy is bad, people will pay $$ to play...but some of us are playing by letting the 1st guy lose his ass on a new bow, and buying it from him used 2 months later for $300 less, cause he wants something different.
We have a Sportsmans closing in our area as well. I know several people that work there andwhat they were told was thatmany of the stores that are closingcouldstill be substainable, but that the way banks are loaning themmoneyto purchase new inventory and such, they were running at like 50% of the recommened inventory because they couldn't get any more money.....

Quick Reply: Bowtech Dealership

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.