Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 KY Elk Hunt...Help Me!?! >

KY Elk Hunt...Help Me!?!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

KY Elk Hunt...Help Me!?!

Old 03-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default KY Elk Hunt...Help Me!?!

Alright here is the deal, I just went and visited my dad who lives in kentucky and he showed me some of the free ranging elk there and said that they have been hunting there since 01' or something. That got me interested in hunting there as a non-resident, so I came home and just recently found all the lottery info and everything like that. But I have a few questions I couldn't find on the ky dnr page.

When they desginate you a area to hunt, does that area have public hunting or national forrest access for non-residents?

What are the odds of actually filling a elk tag in ky?

And basically that's all I can't figure out. I already know about the tag drawing, and non-resident license costs, and all the deadlines and season dates. I just couldn't figure out that if they designate you a area when you pick the three units you prefer if those units have public property. Because being a non-resident I wouldn't have much access to private property.

Also I'm asking here cause I figured someone on here has tried to get a tag and what not in Ky, and maybe hunted there, and just maybe was successful. Anyway, any help at all would be appreciated.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: KY Elk Hunt...Help Me!?!

Like winning the lottery, there ain't many tags put out down there.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ken it does say the succes rate on the site.It's up there in the 90's i think.Yes there is private property that is assigned to it.As it states no off-road type vehicals unless you get permission from the land owner.You have the area's they let you hunt and that's all.So being out of state or not the area you get picked for is the one you get to hunt.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

Like winning the lottery, there ain't many tags put out down there.

They raised it up to a 1,000 this year.Better i guess.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Me and my dad both have been putting in for it since the VERY first time they offered it and neither of us have ever gotten a tag Dont expect to get one the first try. Not trying to sound like Debbie Downer here, its just the truth lol! Ive wanted at least one of us to get it, and it just hasnt happened... yet
Derek
Old 03-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I drew a cow tag the 1st year as a NR - one of 40 (400 total).

They did raise it to 1000 this year.
No points - just a lotto with a $10 fee.

Steve
Old 03-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go for it man. I actually beat the odds 4 years ago and managed to fillmy tag.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alright. I was curious as to what was going on down there. I guess me and old man are in the lottery running this year. I kinda figured it was a far stretch to get a tag, but I wanted to make sure I could have a place to hunt...and I went over the ky dnr site a couple times and found out everything I needed to know. So I guess everyone has to cross their fingers and hope to get lucky.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

I was thinking of applying, but when you might draw a cow tag and have to pay the same amount as a bull tag, that turned me off.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

I was thinking of applying, but when you might draw a cow tag and have to pay the same amount as a bull tag, that turned me off.
Is there a cheaper cow tag in the US?

Quick Reply: KY Elk Hunt...Help Me!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.