HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Yo Rob got a ? on a dog (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/287846-yo-rob-got-dog.html)

TeeJay 02-27-2009 12:17 PM

Yo Rob got a ? on a dog

So MN is thinking about passing a tracking dog law. Never the less with puting my Shorthair down it is time for a family pet again. I am thinking about one of those mini tracking dogs. But I just dont remember what kind you had.

mfd1027 02-27-2009 02:24 PM

RE: Yo Rob got a ? on a dog

Wirehaired Dachshund. Man, I hope they pass the law in Minn. It's kind of ridiculous that there's any states that won't allow leashed tracking dogs.

Rob, sorry I hijacked this thread.

Dan

Rob/PA Bowyer 02-27-2009 04:05 PM

No issue on the "non"hijack, hell you answered his question right.

TeeJay, Axel is a Wire Haired Dachshund. It's a very, very popular breed for tracking. They are tremendously talented dogs and Axel is our loving pet.

I'd suggest John Jeanenney's book, Tracking Dog's for finding Wounded Deer. John is the one of the foremost leading experts on tracking dogs in the U.S. as far as many are concerned.

The book is easy to find with a google search. Also, the United Blood Trackers.org is a great way to gather information and point you in the right direct. John as well as his wife is a member there as am I.

Schultzy 02-27-2009 06:57 PM

So MN is thinking about passing a tracking dog law
No kidding? News to me.

TeeJay 03-01-2009 08:39 AM

It is beeing discussed as we talk.

TeeJay 03-01-2009 08:39 AM

BTW Thanks guys.

BowHuntingFool 03-01-2009 09:20 AM

Awesome dogs! Got to see one on the trail this past season! I located Steve and his dog on UBT they came out and helped track my buddies deer! I was pretty shocked at the hefty price tag but well worth it! He was saying that its a LOT and he stressed "a lot of work" and he puts in more time in training and tracking than he gets to hunt! He also said he enjoys it bigtime!

halfrack VIII 03-01-2009 01:47 PM

i heard the those wired dashhund were popular. My father and i trained one of our jack russells to trail blood we would use him if it were legal......if it were legal ;)

Rob/PA Bowyer 03-01-2009 03:43 PM

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

Awesome dogs! Got to see one on the trail this past season! I located Steve and his dog on UBT they came out and helped track my buddies deer! I was pretty shocked at the hefty price tag but well worth it! He was saying that its a LOT and he stressed "a lot of work" and he puts in more time in training and tracking than he gets to hunt! He also said he enjoys it bigtime!
It depends state to state as far as price if at all. There are many who track because of the love of it and the chance to work the dog. Many times all they ask is perhaps some gas money depending on how far they drive. Each state is different as far as regulations too. Like NY, the dog/handler must be licensed to do so and they can carry a weapon at any time to dispatch the animals when the shooter/hunter cannot.

In Maryland, a weapon cannot be carried after hours or out of season. PA will likely mirror that law. A bill has been in the process for years now and all but passed when some SOB Senator attached a handgun bill that nothing to do with tracking. Hmmppff, politicians. [:@]

Again, much can be found out at the United Blood Trackers. UBP, http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/

Here's my Axel when he was still a pup at my breeders. He was being trained from birth! He was the blue collar male. He's going on 3 now.

BowHuntingFool 03-01-2009 03:58 PM

Thats a cool pic Rob! Steve said he loves the tracking and working his dog. Remy is a great dog and was so eager to get on the trail he was shaking uncontrollably!!!!!! He came out late night and we were on the trail for hours and he wouldn't take a dime! I can't wait to see Remy on the trail again!