Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Learning about deer >

Learning about deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Learning about deer

Old 02-24-2009, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Learning about deer

Well Im deffinately learning about the deer behavior in my area. Right now the fields are fall plowed so its a bit harder for them to find food there. Ive been putting out grains and oats and some pellet looking crap that supposed to have lots of minerals and such in it. I put out this stuff in front of my cams and what Ive learned so far is that deer are stubborn. They wont readily take a free meal. They just kinda walk past and maybe get a bite or two then continue on there way. However the coons are loving the stuff. Glad Im bringin more of them in and fattenning em up!![:@] Im getting tons of pics of bucks and Im starting to recognize them in pics now and thats pretty awesome. I just thought with the conditions the way they are the deer would just feed in front of the cams on the bait but a bite or two is plenty I guess. I also found that they are mainly feeding on the tops of sapplings, primarily oak. Even though things arent going as I thought they would Im still excited to see what else I learn and get to know the deer in my woods.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Learning about deer

Good job! Keep it up, you will benefit greatly in the long run.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Learning about deer

spring is coming and that is what they are gonna be hitting the most is fresh sapling and sprouts and things of that nature probably not so much ofthe pellet stuff, deer are browsers and gonna be moving around feeding all the time. Also I am sure that alot of people suppliment feed andwhat not to the deer in pellet form and had success but I have always had terrible luck withpellets and actually have had deer eat everything I gave them and leftall thepellets, it looked kind of funny nothing left but pellets. It did eventually disapear but it was probably birds and squirells and maybe coons too[8D]