Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Containment rests.....are we a bunch of Sallies? >

Containment rests.....are we a bunch of Sallies?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Containment rests.....are we a bunch of Sallies?

Old 02-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Default Containment rests.....are we a bunch of Sallies?

Notice.........this post is meant to be tongue-in-cheek so I hope nobody gets offended, although I do somewhat believe this :

What a bunch of Sallies we have become in regards to arrow rests. First the reemergence of the dropaway rest, the greatest thing to happen to compound bows in the last few years. Who'd imagine that a rest could move out of the way just before fletching passes by resulting in no fletching contact with proper setup. Then the Whisker Bisquit....fixed rest with full containment so our arrows wouldn't fall off if we let down or turned our bows sideways/upside down. Now dropaways with containment virtues also.

Just a short time ago fixed shoot through rests is what we predominately used. Prongs and blades and with proper drawing, practice and holding the bow rightside up we worried little about the arrow falling off, although it could and probably did to most hunters at least once. I have yet to see ANY dropaway rest that was better as far as accuracy than a good shootthrough rest. Maybe as good but not better.

We are a bunch of Sallies................me too! Though I have been giving thought of late as to putting a shootthrough prong rest back on my hunting bow

Ok, just having fun here but any thoughts? [/align]
Old 02-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Containment rests.....are we a bunch of Sallies?

This has got me to thinkin and Ifeel so ashamed that I just gave away my compound andretrieved the bear kodiack out and replaced the "hair" rest and I also stripped the vanes off my arrows so I can head to town tomm. to get feathers.... C.M. thank you, I will try not to fall into the nancy-boy-sallie way ever again..... L.O.L !!!
Old 02-21-2009, 04:31 AM
Bartender

Dang thought I was seeing a double post.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cougar you are probaby still running dial-up and Windows 95 too aren't you? Beware.... your analog TV might not work on all channels anymore!!!

Seriously though, technology improves a lot of things. I like to lay my bow in my lap while I hunt... I like a full containment rest so I don't have to fool with holding the arrow on.. I know it is going to be there. I also like sleeping on a pillow top mattress, leather seats, waterproof boats, and cold beer. If that makes me a sally... well.... at least I'll be comfortable doing it.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Though I have been giving thought of late as to putting a shootthrough prong rest back on my hunting bow
I did..... and I couldn't be happier. Shooting just as accurate, and no worries about slipping, timing, vane interferance, changing vanes 3 times, knots coming loose. The simple life is the best. Coming from a indoor shoot the other day, and alot of guys have changed back to prongs.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heck, Ihad a good drop away, containment rest 45 years ago Cougar, It was my finger!
Old 02-21-2009, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Cougar you are probaby still running dial-up and Windows 95 too aren't you? Beware.... your analog TV might not work on all channels anymore!!!

Low to mid-speed cable, digital tv, and Windows 98. Ain't getting rid of this old NEC computer until it blows up!

Big John, I may do the same. Thinking of putting a NAP 3000 rest on the Alley.......maybe.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Big John, I may do the same. Thinking of putting a NAP 3000 rest on the Alley.......maybe.
A year ago at the 300 indoor, I was the only unlimited shooter with a prong rest. This year 1/2 the shooters had converted back to prongs and blades. Drop aways were just too much trouble. This past season I removed a drop rest from my hunting bow and put on prongs again, I keep it hanging from a hook so I don't have to lay it on my lap.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry, I could never get the prong style rest to give me the complete vane clearence I needed. I guess I'll stay a Sallie with my Drop Away.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:39 AM

I though about setting up my new SWAT with a regular prong reat because Binary cams are supposedly affected by tying drop away to cable. I ended up setting the bow up with a Dropzone and it seems to work fine. I thought drop away rest were supposedlymore accurate & forgiving.[&:]

Quick Reply: Containment rests.....are we a bunch of Sallies?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.