Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Jury awards 157 million in treestand death >

Jury awards 157 million in treestand death

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Jury awards 157 million in treestand death

Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Jury awards 157 million in tree stand death

ORIGINAL: Rhody Hunter

These kind of law suits just drive companies out of business and others not to get into certain lines of products because of liability. this just stifles creativity and new products that could be invented .I hate lawyers they only care about them selves under the disguise of helping other people.
So you feel that a company that profits from selling a product that it produces,advertises and sells as a "safety harness" that in turn actually kills you need not be sued out of business?

If your spouse were killed because the airbag in your car failed to inflate because of a failed design you would not sue the manufacturer?

As ridiculous as these cases are they do force legitimate manufacturers to produce products that function safely and asadvertised.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Jury awards 157 million in treestand death

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: mahoningbuck

Lawyers and the public driving another company out. Yes, I know a man died but when does the madness end........lawyers and judges make a living off of sueing companies and their own state for that matter. All congressman, lawyers, and judges should be looked at for treason and if found guilty shot on the spot. I am sick of these guys KILLING our country.
There is a GREAT element of truth to THIS, that many lawyers would not want the general public to know!!!!! The LEGAL system is their CASH-COW!!!! And our (the general public's) money pit!!!!

Keep in mind a couple of things.....

In the lawsuit, Carol Simonton requested $6,000 for funeral expenses, which can be reimbursed under Indiana’s wrongful death act. The complaint also sought $1.5 million in lifetime lost wages, which Phelps said was reached by figuring Timothy Simonton’s annual wages of $50,000 for 30 years.
The woman was his MOTHER, not his wife, and she was seeking ONE-HUNDREDTH of the amount awarded. Who is to say he was likely to live another 30yrs, and if he did, how sure could they be he'd have had another 30yrs. to work??? Also keep in mind that LAWYERS contingency fee is likely ~30% maybe more, therefore some LAWYERS are making BIG $$$$$$$ for this lawsuit. We're talking MILLIONS made on ONE LAWSUIT, it likely takes most of us here 10-20yrs to make $1 Million dollars, and these lawyers, even if there were 10 of them each would have made well over $1million dollars for this ONE suit!!!! [:@]
Welcome to the great awakening my friend. They pad their pockets and we as consumers and tax payers pay more. The legal system both federal and state is a cash cow for these individuals not to mention the people who lost their job over this suit. Most people say "Sue them for all they are worth!" but cry when their rates go up for insurance and goods. Hum......strange corralation?
Old 02-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let us know the real payment, if and when it ever comes.

Many companies today do not have the insurance or the assets to pay anywhere near the claim.

Can't get blood out of a rock.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

Another article from today.
http://www.jconline.com/article/2009...WS03/902190348
Old 02-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Got no use for any involved in any way with any of this, all skirts as far as I'm cocerned. You all need a tampon change.

Guy died doing what he wanted and women want to make a case out of it. Only real winning is the dead guy as he doesn't have to put up with all the panties anymore.

I'm sick of the talk of it. I'm sick of "men" who let it take place. Stands break, a real man doesn't loose his head when it does. Spartan up!
Old 02-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

ORIGINAL: Rhody Hunter

These kind of law suits just drive companies out of business and others not to get into certain lines of products because of liability. this just stifles creativity and new products that could be invented .I hate lawyers they only care about them selves under the disguise of helping other people.
So you feel that a company that profits from selling a product that it produces,advertises and sells as a "safety harness" that in turn actually kills you need not be sued out of business?

If your spouse were killed because the airbag in your car failed to inflate because of a failed design you would not sue the manufacturer?

As ridiculous as these cases are they do force legitimate manufacturers to produce products that function safely and asadvertised.
I'm not saying that if the co is neglagent and makes something that is unsafe they shouldn't be sued . There are to many law suits that look to blame a co just because you use there product and got hurt . accidents do happen naturaly without falt of the product and they where just useing it at the time. I'm saying i think that a lot of people don't produce
items or go forward with ideas is because they are afraid of being sued . I know in my area they stopped selling diving boards for pools because they are afraid of being sued for using one. Can you get hurt using a diving board .Yes but can
you use one safley. Yes you can . and no i wouldn't sue because an air bag didn't inflate . I'm sure that it happens
a very small percentage of time but none the less i'm sure it happens. this should not put a stop to using the product
to help save other lives.
Every product has some amount of failures that they make. I'm just sick and tired of those frivalous law suitsthat sue just because they can . like the person that sued because there coffee was hot . now they state it on the cup [:-]. it gets rediculousthat they state the obvious

Old 02-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

Tell me when any one of you has seen a lawyer or a Judge sit in a jury box.
It's usual a jury who awards the large sums of $ in these cases. A jury comprised of citizens.

Don't get pissed off at attorneys forasking for more and more money. I can't speak for everyone, but I know I probably won't ever turn down a pay raise. We as citizens give them the money, just like we buy hats and jerseys and sporting tickets so athletes can get $100,000,000 contracts.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gutshotem

It's usual a jury who awards the large sums of $ in these cases. A jury comprised of citizens.

Don't get pissed off at attorneys forasking for more and more money. I can't speak for everyone, but I know I probably won't ever turn down a pay raise. We as citizens give them the money, just like we buy hats and jerseys and sporting tickets so athletes can get $100,000,000 contracts.
Trust me it is much deeper than you could ever possible know.....I work with lawyers and judges every day. The criminal justice system is a trillion dollar buisiness sponsered by tax payers and consumers in the name of "justice".
Old 02-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

Trust me it is much deeper than you could ever possible know.....I work with lawyers and judges every day. The criminal justice system is a trillion dollar buisiness sponsered by tax payers and consumers in the name of "justice".
That's funny, I've worked in the criminal justice system for the past seven years and lived with a lawyer for the past 4.... Guess I'm really missing something.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's funny, I've worked in the criminal justice system for the past seven years and lived with a lawyer for the past 4.... Guess I'm really missing something.
LMAO!! Ya think??