Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Jury awards 157 million in treestand death >

Jury awards 157 million in treestand death

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Jury awards 157 million in treestand death

Old 02-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Jury awards 157 million in treestand death

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Must be an Ol' Man fan.....

ORIGINAL: mahoningbuck

Lawyers and the public driving another company out. Yes, I know a man died but when does the madness end........lawyers and judges make a living off of sueing companies and their own state for that matter. All congressman, lawyers, and judges should be looked at for treason and if found guilty shot on the spot. I am sick of these guys KILLING our country.
Why does someone always enter a insult or insinuation.

Doesn't matter what stand you use, just think of the implications that stand manufacturers now must look at for liability insurance if in fact this is true and it stands. It may drive many manufacturers out of business because they can't afford to protect themselves. I think this could open a HUGE can of worms for the industry.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Must be an Ol' Man fan.....

ORIGINAL: mahoningbuck

Lawyers and the public driving another company out. Yes, I know a man died but when does the madness end........lawyers and judges make a living off of sueing companies and their own state for that matter. All congressman, lawyers, and judges should be looked at for treason and if found guilty shot on the spot. I am sick of these guys KILLING our country.
Why does someone always enter a insult or insinuation.

Doesn't matter what stand you use, just think of the implications that stand manufacturers now must look at for liability insurance if in fact this is true and it stands. It may drive many manufacturers out of business because they can't afford to protect themselves. I think this could open a HUGE can of worms for the industry.
I agree Rob!!
Old 02-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where this really hurts is that it drives companies and jobs out of America and right to China.
And I think every one knows the quality of Chinese made produces.
Believe me theres more to thissuit than were reading in this story.This kind of litigation has far reaching consequences and by failing to defend them selves it appearers that they will no longer be in business.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:13 AM

Why blame the lawyers? Hell even the LAWYER said his highball figure was 100 million, and was baffled by where they got 157 million.

Sueing is getting ridiculous, but its the peoples sense of entitlement, not the lawyers that is the source of the problem. Something for nothing, something for nothing.

How about the rancher in AZ sued for violating the civil rights of ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS TRESSPASSING ON HIS FARM?[:'(] Came upon 20+ of them, drew his pistol as he says the ones he sees are nearly always drug runners who tear down fences and drive through with 4x4s running drugs into Southern California.., holstered his pistol once he figured out they werent armed, and called border patrol to pick em up...they then got together with some Mexican American agency and sued this man for $2 millionPERPERSONfor psychological and emotional damages and violation of civil rights....absurd. One was even deported 3 years prior on convictions of being an illegal alien AND drug trafficking charges. The jury finally ruled that only 2-3 were to be rewarded $1800 while another 2 got $1400. Add that to the guys lawyer fees, all over a bunch of illegal immigrants sueing him over their "rights". Laughable. This country is turning ass backwards in a hurry....and the root of the problem is people's sense of entitlement over something that isn't theirs.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

MOST are the result of misuse or lack of safety equipment or appropriate use of it.
A news release issued July 17, 2007, by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said that TSR Inc. recalled about 9,000 Ol’ Man tree stands and about 500 replacement pin sets because the locking pins could unexpectedly fall out.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Every single time this stuff happens, the liability insurance for all the treestand companies reacts. Now TMA is going to force some additional (and worthless) requirements that forces the pricing up on all related products - and we will ALL pay for it.

Ask yourself this question. When a guy goes to Lowes and buys a chain saw - does Lowes require that that person also buy safety glasses, gloves, chaps, and an instructional video showing the guy how to properly use the chain saw?

For the love of god - how does the common sense of man fall so short on the topic of hunting from an elevated stand????? It is one thing to have a product completely fail in the field; but 99% of these cases could have been prevented with a little less stupidity - and a little more common sense. This just drives me INSANE.

Yes, I'm a treestand designer and use this stuff as much or more than anyone in the field. I'm so friggen careful when in the tree, it justPISSESME OFFthat people are still getting injured and killed because of pure stupidity and laziness! So, cash in boys - we're all ripe for the picking!
Old 02-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

We are the losers in this. This sort of thing could ultimately result in us making homemade stands again. I am sorry the guy lost his life, and I would like to know all the facts of the case. Did he wear a safety harness, did he use the stand properly as in the manufacturer instructed, was the hunter within the weight restriction, etc.

Where this really hurts is that it drives companies and jobs out of America and right to China.
And I think every one knows the quality of Chinese made produces.

Believe me theres more to thissuit than were reading in this story.This kind of litigation has far reaching consequences and by failing to defend them selves it appearers that they will no longer be in business.
Funny, because the Ol Man stands have been manufactured in China for several years now!
Old 02-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I found this little tid bit.

"We are sorry that this happened, but Mr. Carley was not named as a party in the lawsuit," Gunn said. "You can't collect a judgment from a company that does not exist."
Old 02-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

This should explane the award to some of you.

in February 2006, for the wrongful death of her husband, Timothy Simonton. He was hanged and strangled to death by the tree stand's safety cord, which was designed to prevent injury during a fall.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Jury awards 157 million in tree stand death

These kind of law suits just drive companies out of business and others not to get into certain lines of products because of liability. this just stifles creativity and new products that could be invented .I hate lawyers they only care about them selves under the disguise of helping other people.

Quick Reply: Jury awards 157 million in treestand death

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.