Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Newbie hunter in need of advice >

Newbie hunter in need of advice

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Newbie hunter in need of advice

Old 02-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Spike

Default Newbie hunter in need of advice

I've been rifle and muzzleloader hunting the last couple of years and I'm addicted to that, but this year I'm going to try bowhunting, so I will be shopping for a bow in the near future. I don't need the gold platedstuff, just good quality stuff that won't break the budget. What equipment would you guys buy if you were just getting into it and why?
Thanks.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Newbie hunter in need of advice

Give a complete setup price range, including arrows, that you are willing to spend. You will get alot more detailed info and get straight to the point. Everyone bankdoesn't break the same .Good luck, if your addicted to thehot sticks youll be hooked on bowhuntin in no time. WCL
Old 02-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go to a pro shop an look at some bows in your price range. Just start shooting some of them an pick the one you like best an do not forget to ask questions.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:45 PM
Spike

400 to 500 for everything, but less if I could get away with it. I thought I'd try to find something used.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

One of the Best Mid priced bows I have shot is the Ross Carnivore. Smooth, accurate, and very quiet. Diamond has some excellent offerings as well.

There is nosubstituting shooting the Bows and seeing what feels best in your hands

Dan
Old 02-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Double Post! Sorry![:@]

Dan
Old 02-18-2009, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is another post on here where a guy is looking for his first bow. I will tell you the same thing I told him. There are a bunch of good bows on the market in your price range. On the high end of your price range are Mission bows, which are a very good bow and a sister company to Matthews, or the Hoyt SuperHawk and PowerHawk. Bear has a couple of good bows in your price range, the Showdown (we sell a package (bow, WB rest, sights and quiver) for $449), the lightsout is another good bow. I don't know anything about Ross, but if MeanV recommends it I am sure it is a good bow. I would suggest as other did and tell you to stop in at several pro shops and shoot as many bows as you can that are in your price range and then decided which one feels the best to you. There are many good bows in your price range, you just have find the right bow for you. I would stay clear of the used market, since you new to archery you really don't know what to look for. Good luck in your search and let us know what you decided to go with.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to a shop and shoot a bunch of bows, make sure they measure you and get you in the right draw-length, find what weight feels comfortable to you, and then start making decisions based on what your budget is. If you find something a year of two old, that you like but is not in your price range, there is always the AT Classifieds, Archerytalk.com classifieds are ALWAYS full of some good deals. Some guys will advise against buying used, but most bows are made so well, you almost can't go wrong. All but one of the bows I own was a used purchase, and I've yet to have a problem with any of them.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:52 AM

id say decide how much you want to spend then go to your local archery shop and start looking at and shooting the bows that are in your price range. if you can find it, used bows arent that bad of a deal some are pretty nice
Old 02-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Spike

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the comments.

Quick Reply: Newbie hunter in need of advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.