Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do you guys know exactly where your big bucks are bedding? >

How do you guys know exactly where your big bucks are bedding?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you guys know exactly where your big bucks are bedding?

Old 02-14-2009, 05:39 PM

Default RE: How do you guys know exactly where your big bucks are bedding?

I found several beds today, some of which were buck beds.

I hunt hill country. I've taken a topo and marked all points on the entire 500 acres. My plan is scout each one of them in the next couple of weeks.

What I'm tring to put together is WHY they decide to bed on one point vs the next point over. One common factor I have found is they bed on the points that offer the greatest view of what is below them. Getting in close during the daylight will be next to impossible.

You need to spend some time on Dan Infalt's website. He is a master on big buck beds. Just google it, you won't be sorry.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Big mature bucks only drop their guard imo during the prerut, rut, post rut
Ithink that pretty much covers the Bow Season[8D]

Dan
lol..prerut= halloween through 1st week in nov(MY FAVORITE TIME) rut= 2nd week in Nov through part of 3rd (My least favorite part of the rut to hunt...bucks have does off somewhere in the middle of nowhere...activity slows way down...sucks pretty well Post rut= end of 3rd week in Nov through Thanksgiving.(Awesome time to be out in the woods...bucks are losing does and back on the prowl looking for chics. Rattling works well.
Our bow season opens Oct 1st and closes Jan 10th...so nope..doesnt cover the entire bow season.
For all it's worth that's your definition[8D]

I would beg to differ

Dan
Old 02-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Big mature bucks only drop their guard imo during the prerut, rut, post rut
Ithink that pretty much covers the Bow Season[8D]

Dan
lol..prerut= halloween through 1st week in nov(MY FAVORITE TIME) rut= 2nd week in Nov through part of 3rd (My least favorite part of the rut to hunt...bucks have does off somewhere in the middle of nowhere...activity slows way down...sucks pretty well Post rut= end of 3rd week in Nov through Thanksgiving.(Awesome time to be out in the woods...bucks are losing does and back on the prowl looking for chics. Rattling works well.
Our bow season opens Oct 1st and closes Jan 10th...so nope..doesnt cover the entire bow season.
For all it's worth that's your definition[8D]

I would beg to differ

Dan
yep...my definition and all of my friends and 99% of all bowhunters I would assume. Pre rut, in nobodys book I know is considered Oct 1(opening day of season) and I don't know anybody that considers post rut Jan 10th either. Maybe in Dan's world...but not mine or my friends
Old 02-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

I found several beds today, some of which were buck beds.
I'm curious how you were able to differentiate between buck beds and doe beds? Because they were on points with agood view?
Old 02-14-2009, 06:32 PM

Here are a couple pics I took today with my camera phone, but you get the idea.

First is the bed, next is the view down below. It was classic point bed.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:33 PM

Old 02-14-2009, 06:36 PM

One other observation, in hill country you don't typically find the old worn out dirt bed that you may find in a swamp or other flat land. I believe the main reason for this is that in hill country, they bed in several different spots based on that days thermals.

I have been told they will bed with the wind blowing down the point to their back and they will face the open bottom below. Very tough to crack that nut!
Old 02-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ok HCH and all his Buddies say the 3 Rut phases run Hallowen through Thanksgiving[8D]

A buck is ready, willing, and able to breed as long as he is carrying hard antlers.

I've found plenty of rubs, and scrapes 1st week of Oct. as well as the same being worked very Late Dec.

I've personally witnessed a Doe being bred mid Oct., and several the 1st half of Jan.

Interesting this could all happen since it is in No way duringany phase of the Rut according to you

This will be my last post on this matter as I learned by arguing with you about Trajectory it's like

Keep after itDon

Dan
Old 02-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

That no dought, is a good view. You wouldn't be getting in there undetected, that's for sure!
Old 02-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

Im just gonna throw this out there but I think of the prerut as when the bucks start establishing there territory and you start seeing signs like rub lines and scrapes. In different parts of the country it occurs at slightly different times but here in the midwest my deffinition would fall in the 2nd week of Oct. approximately and run until the end of Oct. I see young bucks starting to chase does that arent yet in cycle around Halloween. The rut falls into place approx late 1st week to 2nd week Nov. and lasts a week up to 2 weeks. Then the post rut runs up until the 2nd week of Dec.During our shotgun season the first week of Dec. most of the bucks we saw were with does and my dad witnessed some love in the air with the buck he got and a doe.

Quick Reply: How do you guys know exactly where your big bucks are bedding?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.