Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Remember the dogs??? >

Remember the dogs???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Remember the dogs???

Old 02-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remember the dogs???

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

I don't really blame the dog, Just sayin'.

Should have been in the crate...

Sorry for your luck, you still did the right thing, despite the damage.
+1!!!

Chief,
My dogs consider their crate their HOME, and go in there without being told. I've rarely had to lock either of them up in the past few years. But when they were young, under a year, they were inside the crate anytime I left. The wife is being irrational, and if you establish a dominant relationship with that dog, and make it known that YOU are the alpha dog, that dog will respect you more, and destroy less things. They are not unlike kids in that they will make an inch a mile if you let them.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

the crate is the best way to keep them out of trouble. The cage is like there caves in the wild. Haven't you ever seen a dog go in tight covered spaces and go to sleep? They feel safer.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

I don't really blame the dog, Just sayin'.

Should have been in the crate...

Sorry for your luck, you still did the right thing, despite the damage.
+1!!!

Chief,
My dogs consider their crate their HOME, and go in there without being told. I've rarely had to lock either of them up in the past few years. But when they were young, under a year, they were inside the crate anytime I left. The wife is being irrational, and if you establish a dominant relationship with that dog, and make it known that YOU are the alpha dog, that dog will respect you more, and destroy less things. They are not unlike kids in that they will make an inch a mile if you let them.
x2

Crate is the BEST thing EVER invented for a pet. Can't blame the dog, they have a dog brain - and a puppy sized one at that[8D]
Old 02-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are no Bad Dogs only Bad owners. A dog needs training from the very start, and sounds like you had a plan.

Then thewife put a stop to it. I would never leave any dog under 2 years old loose in the house unattended. If I did and something Bad happened I wouldn't blame the dog

I have owned and trained Dogs most of my life and I'm a AKC Licensed Field Judge. I'm no longer active in the Field Trials, but my Rotty just won his 2nd Major today at 12 months old. He only needs a few points now to finish his Championship. It' just a matter of time!

Dan
Old 02-13-2009, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I sure hope you fellas caught a bit of the humor I was putting in my post. In a way, Shotgun (reminder - that's the dog's name) has actually helped as much as he has hurt. I did a little "reflecting" yesterday. After telling my wife that I blamed her more than I did Shotgun (and she AGREED with me!), I told the wife that this pup must be reading my mind and doing what he can to help. Here's why:

1. I didn't like the down comforter. It was too hot and I thought that it looked like crap. Shotgun took care of that. (We're still finding bits of down, though.)

2. I've been wanting to re-do the staircase in hardwood. The wife didn't want to. Now Shotgun has made it possible.

3. I've been wanting to replace the living room furniture for about a year. The wife wants to keep using what we have until it rots. Again, Shotgun to the rescue.

4. I've been considering building a 12' x 16' storage shed in the back. Of course I get the classic "We don't need to spend the money on that." Now that she agrees that the dogs need to go outside when we're not home, I get the green light to build the shed with the provision that I build a frontporch on it so that the dogs have a comfortable place to get out of the rain during the spring and summer when it's too hot for a dog house. Of course, I told her it would need to be longer for the porch to be big enough, so I got the go-aheadto make it 16' x 24' with a 12'x5' covered deck for a porch. Cool!

The other things are minor, and I know Shotgun is just being a puppy. There is one other thing, though IREALLY wish that I could do something about the gas that this dog has. This dog will fart and it'll send you scrambling from the room with your eyes watering. Sometimes it's enough to wake me up out of a dead sleep.
Yep, this dog is a MAN'S dog.....
Old 02-13-2009, 05:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

I sure hope you fellas caught a bit of the humor I was putting in my post. In a way, Shotgun (reminder - that's the dog's name) has actually helped as much as he has hurt. I did a little "reflecting" yesterday. After telling my wife that I blamed her more than I did Shotgun (and she AGREED with me!), I told the wife that this pup must be reading my mind and doing what he can to help. Here's why:

1. I didn't like the down comforter. It was too hot and I thought that it looked like crap. Shotgun took care of that. (We're still finding bits of down, though.)

2. I've been wanting to re-do the staircase in hardwood. The wife didn't want to. Now Shotgun has made it possible.

3. I've been wanting to replace the living room furniture for about a year. The wife wants to keep using what we have until it rots. Again, Shotgun to the rescue.

4. I've been considering building a 12' x 16' storage shed in the back. Of course I get the classic "We don't need to spend the money on that." Now that she agrees that the dogs need to go outside when we're not home, I get the green light to build the shed with the provision that I build a frontporch on it so that the dogs have a comfortable place to get out of the rain during the spring and summer when it's too hot for a dog house. Of course, I told her it would need to be longer for the porch to be big enough, so I got the go-aheadto make it 16' x 24' with a 12'x5' covered deck for a porch. Cool!

The other things are minor, and I know Shotgun is just being a puppy. There is one other thing, though IREALLY wish that I could do something about the gas that this dog has. This dog will fart and it'll send you scrambling from the room with your eyes watering. Sometimes it's enough to wake me up out of a dead sleep.
LOL LC

Here ya go!!

Flatulence in dogs - dog farting - treating dog farts
Although most dogs seem to enjoy the smell of a human flatus or fart, the reverse is rarely true. Dogs suffering from excessive flatulence (farting) can quickly pollute the air quality in a room. Although not harmful to human health, the smell is often horrific and can it create some embarrassing moments, especially when guests are around.
[align=left]
The most common causes of bad flatulence in dogs include;
[/align][ul][*]Eating too fast - When the dog eats too fast, swallowed air (aerophagia) makes it to the intestines very quickly and in a more concentrated quantity.[*]The natural processes of producing the gas through food digestion and absorption within the digestive and eliminatory tracts.[*]Eating foods that are known to cause flatulence (beans, cauliflower etc). [*]Eating a poor quality dog food. [align=left][/align][/ul][align=center]
Tips that can help diminish the severity of dog flatulence:
[/align][ul][*][align=left]Instead of feeding your dog 1 or 2 portions of food per day, divide the daily ration into smaller portions and feed the dog more frequently. [/align][*][align=left]Sometimes dogs eat too quickly because they fear their food will be taken away, so feed your dog in a quiet comfortable area.[/align][*]Exercise the dog more frequently to stimulate its intestines.[*]Choose a premium brand of dog food that is highly digestible. [/ul]
There are products on the market that can can be added to dog food in order to reduce farting but these should only be used after consulting your veterinarian. Activated charcoal is often used in this regard and it does absorb the bad smelling gasses that cause bad flatulence. It must be used with caution and only occasionally however, since it can also rob the dog's body of the nutrients it is getting from its food.
It should be noted that although bad flatulence can be reduced, all dogs (just like all humans) experience daily flatulence and it should never be your intention to get your dog to stop farting altogether.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

Sounds like Man's Best Friend![8D]

On the Gas problem. Try a dog food switch until it cures the problem. Some Dog foods areextremely badfor causing Gas, and individual dog's tolerancesvary as well.

Dan
Old 02-13-2009, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony
Activated charcoal is often used in this regard and it does absorb the bad smelling gasses that cause bad flatulence.
Can you reactivate it in the Dryer?

Sorry I just had to![8D]

I think the best change you can make is to a Premium Dog food which will be more digestable.
Excellent choices are:
1. Orijen
2. California Natural
3. Canidae
4. Taste of the Wild

There are other good choices but a huge % of pet foods are very bad when it comes to digestability, and quality ( a dog needs mostly meat) ingredients.

Dan
Old 02-13-2009, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony
Activated charcoal is often used in this regard and it does absorb the bad smelling gasses that cause bad flatulence.
Can you reactivate it in the Dryer?

Sorry I just had to![8D]
I'll let you try that one Dan, and you can let us know how it turns out.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man that sucks big time I have had my fair share of puppies ruining my stuff never to that extent.

Quick Reply: Remember the dogs???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.