Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Africa slide show >

Africa slide show

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Africa slide show

Old 02-12-2009, 07:00 PM

Default RE: Africa slide show

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Zach,

There is one photo in the slide show that show several men standing outside a "stick" fortress of sorts. That is where the cattleare brought into every night. The cattle tenders sleep inside there with the cows. In that photo, we are asking for information from the bushmen about four rogue lions. The lions had been killing 3-4 cows every two to three days. Relief was needed and theRupublic of Namibia granted us the opportunity tocull the problem.These lions had totally lost all fear for humans. Two days prior to the snapping of that photograph, the lions had killed two bushmen, a cow, and the cow's two calves. An old 303 british rifle was found with a spent shell lodged in the chamber. Obviously the bushmen tried to defend themselves. Their bodies were never recovered. I am sure the hyenas ate well. We finally caught up with two of the four lions and killed them. That was as close to a real "Tarzan" typesafari as I have ever come. We slept in fly tents in the middle of Africa's wild. I could hear the lions roaring throughout the night. At one point, while I was lying alone in my tent, I heard the sniffing of something just outside and directly over my head. I prayed to God enormously that night! In the morning, The trackers showed me where a jackal had lifted his leg on the corner of my abode.

In Africa, everything either sticks you, sucks you, or plucks you! The country was simply designed to absorb protein. You are definitely one with the food chain there...

That is plenty serious. Takes some whevos not to freak smooth out. All I had to do was watch "Ghost in the darkness" and that counted me out of lion hunting......period...
Old 02-12-2009, 07:33 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed that Will. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

My pleasure Will. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I wish I could share the rush I feel when I'm there...now that would be awesome!
Old 02-13-2009, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

Wow that is a lot of pictures, but they're all great pics!
Old 02-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Spike

very nice---I cant wait!!!
Old 02-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome! Simply awesome! Will, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to put that great slide show together to share with all of us. I watched the whole thing, and loved it. I even thought the music was perfect.Sorry to hear about your friend's sickness, and one of your PH's getting killed. I was wondering about that white lion. Wouldn't he be considered very rare? Again, thanks for sharing that with us!
Old 02-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff,

Yes indeed, the white lion is very rare. He is currently on a lion preserve and watched like a precious gem. He's four years old now...

When we were on our lion safari in Namibia, we had agents of the government with us all the time. Moverover, the para-military anti-poachers paralelled our every move. At one point I had to ask one of them to train her Ak47 another direction. She had it pointing at my belly with the safety off and her finger on the trigger. Needless to say, it made me a tad uncomfortable.

I wish a could share all the photos and memories I've acquired while there. The place is truly unbelievable!
Old 02-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes Will, I could see how that could change your life as youmentioned earlier. That is literally another world on the "dark continent". Right down to the black momba's![:@]I remember your encounter.Why inHELL would someone who's there to protect you, be pointing a loaded gun atyou? Let alone with their finger on the trigger and the safety off? I don't get that at all!
Old 02-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Protect us...? They were there to make sure we did the hunt by the book. We were hunting on the north side of Etosha National Park. The lions were coming from and back into the park after the had their fill on the bushmen's cattle. The hunt (acquiring spoor)and the simple road system took us in and out of the park regularly (we could onlykill outside the park). When the first lion was killed, we were less than 300 meters from the park boundry. He was killed at 11:00 pm under a full moon-the night vision equipment we had on hand was not required. The anti poachers, I assure you, had their night vision trained on us. They were johnny on the spot after the shot.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff,

Here's a photo of the lion I mentioned above. He was a nice 15 year old male in his prime. We estimated his weight at 600 pounds. Can you imagine yourself as a cow and having that monster sinking his teeth into your neck? We took the lion carcass to the bushmen's cattle encampment. We arrived there at 9:00 am. The lion was completely consumed by 11:00 am. And then they asked us if we were finished with the cow and two calf carcasses-which they promptly retrieve from the bush and continued their feast (keep in mind the dead cows had been in the sun for three days, had hyenas andbuzzardssnacking on them, and stunk to high heaven)!

Quick Reply: Africa slide show

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.