HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Serrated Expanible (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/286022-serrated-expanible.html)

Hick442 02-10-2009 06:33 PM

Serrated Expanible

I was just thinking to my self that this would be a mean idea for a broudhead. I was looking online and couldn't find any. It might have some penitrating issues on larger game but seems to me that it would put turkeys down in short order. I don't know just an idea to think about.

Huntinman23 02-10-2009 06:36 PM

RE: Serrated Expanible

That seems like a pretty good idea, but in most states that would probably be considered a barbed broadhead and be illegal. But a good idea none-the-less

Hick442 02-10-2009 06:45 PM

I was just thinking of something like the magnus Buzzcut but in a exapnible with like a 2 or more inch cutting diameter. Just seems like i would be the overall best turkey broundhead for body shots withs its large cutting diameter, good flight, and devastating ripping and tearing. But im just ranting and raving about it:)

BGfisher 02-11-2009 08:49 AM

Serrated blades are nothing new. The concept has been tried off and on for many years. It's been proven time and again that a straight edge cuts more efficiently than serrations thus causing more profuse bleeding. Serrations or any rough cut surface induces a little bit of shock to the skin and muscles which helps promote quicker clotting.

patchholder 02-11-2009 04:10 PM

yah I could see a serrated edge clotting and less blood farther down the trail. I have been using some crimson talon with a spiral tip and they spin the broadhead into the game a little farther than most. Most will pretty much quit spinning on contact. The spinning in there causes more hemoraging and a wound that can't clot up.

MeanV2 02-11-2009 07:15 PM

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

Serrated blades are nothing new. The concept has been tried off and on for many years. It's been proven time and again that a straight edge cuts more efficiently than serrations thus causing more profuse bleeding. Serrations or any rough cut surface induces a little bit of shock to the skin and muscles which helps promote quicker clotting.
Ditto!!

Give me a razor sharp Broadhead anyday!!

Dan

JeffB 02-11-2009 07:35 PM

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

This.

fingerz42 02-12-2009 05:21 AM

Serrated edges are fora sawing motion.. thats why serrated edges are on things like steak knives.. so what good would a serrated edge have being on a broadhead...? I can see no reason for it..

mauser06 02-12-2009 11:10 AM

the others are right...IF you were to cut your self with a razor and then cut yourself with a serrated edge...both just 1 slice forward...the serrated may make a nastier looking wound, but it will stop bleeding quicker and easier...DO NOT try it.....just think about being cut with a razor and getting cut with something that didnt make a nice straight cut...even paper cuts...them things bleed like crazy and pop right open when you think you finally got it closed! they are almost impossible to close if they are deep and long!

i believe serrations on broadheads are just to catch the hunters eye...they look cool and mean and nasty...sure they still cut and kill...but i'll take a razor sharp straight edge...

daveyrock 02-12-2009 11:25 AM

Did you just promote cutting??? haha..j/k I agree though keep em sharp and smooth, you don't see surgeons cutting with steak knives.