Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rangefinders w/ ARC etc.??? >

Rangefinders w/ ARC etc.???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rangefinders w/ ARC etc.???

Old 02-10-2009, 11:39 AM

Default Rangefinders w/ ARC etc.???

Are the rangefinders with ARC and similar abilities to compensate for the angles really worth it?? I am thinking that for ME, in the situations that I normally hunt in, they would not be. Normally I would be on pretty flat ground (eastern NC), in a tree from 20-30 ft. high and most of my shots would be 30 yrds. max with most being 20 yrds. or less because it is usually pretty thick where I hunt and visibilty is going to be around 30-50 yrds. max with a realistic clear shot at 30 or less.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rangefinders w/ ARC etc.???

Actually the arc is Not worth it in 99% of situations you face. If you are buying new then get it, but if you already have a good range finder then hang on to it.

Dan
Old 02-10-2009, 01:33 PM

It's worth it out here in the mountains but if you're in a treestand you're not high enough above your target to make a real difference.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Actually the arc is Not worth it in 99% of situations you face. If you are buying new then get it, but if you already have a good range finder then hang on to it.

Dan

I think that would depend on how and where we hunt.

I do agree though,most of the time it isn't needed but when you do need it,it might be worth having.

My next rangefinder with have it for sure but I am not rushing out and buying one.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

like the others said, for most normal bowhunting, its really not needed...

extreme heights and angles and range, and it can make the difference.

i dont own a range finder but will be buying one before next season....mine will have the angle compensation feature....only because i will also use it groundhog hunting and shoot some far distances through the rolling hills of PA shooting a small target where an inch or 2 will make the difference between red mist in the air and a miss....mauser dont like to miss
Old 02-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TFOX

Dan

I think that would depend on how and where we hunt.

I do agree though,most of the time it isn't needed but when you do need it,it might be worth having.

My next rangefinder with have it for sure but I am not rushing out and buying one.
It takes some extreme situations before it is necessary. All it takes is a little math to figurethat out.

Like I said 99% don't need it, but if you are buying new? Go for it!! I've used a range finder for several years and I've yet to miss because I didn't have the Arc[8D]

Dan
Old 02-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Prior to hunting IL I would have argued that they are worthless other than ranging the target no different than any other, however when I was 23' up in a Walnut stand and ranged a gate where deer where jumping in and out of a pasture, I ranged it at 39 yards. There was nothing to range that was level from me and the gate was well down hill.

I had a chance to make a change and I snuck out and sprayed down the gate area with some estrous doe aerisol spray and I ranged back to the base of my tree, it was 34 yards, not 39 yards. In some circumstances, there is something to them after all but on flat land, not necessary.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never miss without the extra arc compensation. My old Nikon 440 prostaff....puts my arrows into the pocket at all ranges from a tree.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:27 PM

It takes some extreme situations before it is necessary. All it takes is a little math to figurethat out.

Dan
Mountain goat at 45 yards by your rangefinder at about what you figure to be a 55 degree down angle. What do you shoot him for? (Jeopardy music in background...) Is your angle estimate accurate? Do you carry cosines in your pocket? Point is that it's more than just a little math on top of a bunch of other stuff you've got to stop from going wrong. They are definitely worth their weight and expense in those extreme circumstances.
ps.) (COS 55)(45) = 26 Hard to trust it but if you do... Bam! dead goat.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

Dan
Mountain goat at 45 yards by your rangefinder at about what you figure to be a 55 degree down angle. What do you shoot him for? (Jeopardy music in background...) Is your angle estimate accurate? Do you carry cosines in your pocket? Point is that it's more than just a little math on top of a bunch of other stuff you've got to stop from going wrong. They are definitely worth their weight and expense in those extreme circumstances.
ps.) (COS 55)(45) = 26 Hard to trust it but if you do... Bam! dead goat.
I did Not say they never were an advantage

How many Archer'sGoat hunt? or How many Archers hunt any animals in mountains so steep it matters?

How many Archers huntWhitetail, Antelope, Bear, etc.?

If I ever buy a New one I'll get the Arc, but I've never took a shot at an animal where it mattered, and I have hunted at least 6 different states, and 5 different provinces.

That's not what the marketing would have you believe. They would have you think"You must have it or you miss all the time!"

I know better!A lot ofbetter places to spend your money unless you are in that small % that hunts mountains at a 55 degree angle[8D]

Dan

Quick Reply: Rangefinders w/ ARC etc.???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.