Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rangefinders w/ ARC etc.??? >

Rangefinders w/ ARC etc.???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rangefinders w/ ARC etc.???

Old 02-11-2009, 04:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rangefinders w/ ARC etc.???

Wolfpack wanted to know if they would be worth it for HIM. Considering the fact that he hunts generally flat land with out anything drastic, I would go with your run of the mill rangefinder. In extreme mountain conditions they might be beneficial, but not for this fella!
Old 02-11-2009, 04:39 AM
Dominant Buck

I thought about getting one but have a perfectly good range finder. I have a couple spots it would be nice because I'm at the top, right on the crest of a severe hillside. I mean you could fall and roll for 75 yards.LOL It would be nice there but I can't justify the cost for one or two possible stands. I need too many other things like new waders for Alaska, a new fly rod, etc etc etc.LOL I threaten to carry a judo and shoot it off the cliffs.... but then I'd have to climb all the way down and back up to retrieve it. [&:] When you get old you think of those things.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I thought about getting one but have a perfectly good range finder. I have a couple spots it would be nice because I'm at the top, right on the crest of a severe hillside. I mean you could fall and roll for 75 yards.LOL It would be nice there but I can't justify the cost for one or two possible stands. I need too many other things like new waders for Alaska, a new fly rod, etc etc etc.LOL I threaten to carry a judo and shoot it off the cliffs.... but then I'd have to climb all the way down and back up to retrieve it. [&:] When you get old you think of those things.
Amen on that!!

Dan
Old 02-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

I guess for bowhunting most of the time it's not needed, but like Rob said, it would be nice. I thinkthe best scenario would be on a rifle hunt where you can input your ballistics into the rangefinder with what you shoot, and it will let you know where to aim and such(atleast that's what it seems the Bushnell 1500 ARC)
Dandbuck
Old 02-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

It takes some extreme situations before it is necessary. All it takes is a little math to figure that out.

Dan
Mountain goat at 45 yards by your rangefinder at about what you figure to be a 55 degree down angle. What do you shoot him for? (Jeopardy music in background...) Is your angle estimate accurate? Do you carry cosines in your pocket? Point is that it's more than just a little math on top of a bunch of other stuff you've got to stop from going wrong. They are definitely worth their weight and expense in those extreme circumstances.
ps.) (COS 55)(45) = 26 Hard to trust it but if you do... Bam! dead goat.
I did Not say they never were an advantage

How many Archer's Goat hunt? or How many Archers hunt any animals in mountains so steep it matters?

How many Archers hunt Whitetail, Antelope, Bear, etc.?

If I ever buy a New one I'll get the Arc, but I've never took a shot at an animal where it mattered, and I have hunted at least 6 different states, and 5 different provinces.

That's not what the marketing would have you believe. They would have you think "You must have it or you miss all the time!"
I know better! A lot of better places to spend your money unless you are in that small % that hunts mountains at a 55 degree angle[8D]

Dan

Absolutely agree.

I was just poking a little fun but there are some that hunt primarily hills and mountains and the 99% number would be a little off for them,for you or me,it is probably pretty accurate.I did,however have one stand set last year that it would be an advantage to have the arc system and a few other potential places on my farm that it would be a valuable asset as well.

Oh,and the math is quite simle,I use the same theorums and trig functions at work on a regular basis.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd say the 99% figure is closer than you think[8D]

Numbers of Bowhunters in steep mountain terrain, compared to those in normal rolling hill or flat land terrain.

Then even if you do Bowhunt in Steep terrain it won't matter every shot. Far from it

How many resident & NonresidentArchers in AK? How many resident & Non resident archers in PA? IL? MI? WI? etc., etc.

For the OP. Nope you don't need it, but if you are buying new then why not. It definitely won't hurt!

Dan
Old 02-11-2009, 05:19 PM

For the OP. Nope you don't need it, but if you are buying new then why not. It definitely won't hurt!
Basically sums it up...buying new, it is actually kind of stupid to NOT get it...considering ARC models are basically the same costs as the non ARC models, all things equal. You never know when you might need it. I agree that MOST hunters don't need to buy a new one if they already have one, but if you are buying a first or replacing a broke one......it would be dumb to NOT do it.

So, if the OP is looking to pick up his first rangefinder, get one with ARC, no brainer.

If/When I head for steep country to bowhunt, I will have one in my pack. May trade mine up if I ever find a good deal on an ARC model, or just buy a new one and gift my current one to my dad next christmas. Like Rob said, some terrain unless you are a math wiz, it is necessary unless you carry conversion charts. I am fairly confident enough in my math skills that i could get by without it, but second guessing yourself is the LAST thing you want at crunch time.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Where I hunt and my way of hunting I can see where it could come in handy.. Most here are talking about hunting from tree stands but I preffer stalking. With the hills here and ledges shooting straight up for about 20-30 yards this would most likely be a nice tool to carry with you. I have found that shooting up hill can prove to be a little difficult at times.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

It takes some extreme situations before it is necessary. All it takes is a little math to figurethat out.

Dan
Mountain goat at 45 yards by your rangefinder at about what you figure to be a 55 degree down angle. What do you shoot him for? (Jeopardy music in background...) Is your angle estimate accurate? Do you carry cosines in your pocket? Point is that it's more than just a little math on top of a bunch of other stuff you've got to stop from going wrong. They are definitely worth their weight and expense in those extreme circumstances.
ps.) (COS 55)(45) = 26 Hard to trust it but if you do... Bam! dead goat.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that every drawingthat I have seen that explains the " ARC" is a hunter in a tree stand, down to the tree base, and out to the target. If I'm not mistaken, that creates a " Right Triangle". I may be mistaken, as it has been alot of years since I have taken Geometry, but wouldn't the distance from the hunter in the stand to the target represent the " Hypotenuse" ( ? ), of the Right Triangle, which is found by adding the distance from the hunter to the base of the tree, to the distance from the base of the tree to the target? If so, then the distance should be longer, not shorter. I think it's the Pythagorean Theorum ( ? )- A2 + B2= C2 ?

Old 02-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

It's worth it... I rather have it than need it and not have it. I mostly hunt on hill sides and only a couple times a yearI wouldhunt on flat land. All my shots are either going up or down hill. It makes a world of difference to me to not have the arc.

Quick Reply: Rangefinders w/ ARC etc.???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.