Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bigpapa's Dream Season 2009 >

Bigpapa's Dream Season 2009

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bigpapa's Dream Season 2009

Old 02-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bigpapa's Dream Season 2009

Chuck, I was just looking at the photos again and it's hard to tell with the rest from the pics but it looks like stand 1 you could turn the ground over pretty good there and get some pretty good stuff growing. Also for the arial photo it looks like all woods but from the stand view of stand 3 that looks pretty open you could put a pretty good food plot in that too.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

Yes I've been toying with the idea of putting a small food plot down in front of stand 1. I've never really done a plot and haven't a clue as to how I would start. I've looked into the Imperial No Plow just because it would be easiest. I don't own a tiller or anything either and that's a draw back.

I had the coolest conversation with Lou yesterday about the Predator IV bow sight. I called the company because I had a few questions and Lou answered. Come to find out he invented the sight and we talked for over an hour about how it works and his recent improvements. I'm pretty much sold on it now. The only thing that concerns me is that the pin is .040 which is quite large but at the range that I'll be using it for (40 yards and under) I think it should do quite well.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

I decided to go ahead and food plot the grove in front of stand 1. I have a ph test kit coming from vita-rack to test the soil this week. I'm planning to till and plant on the 7th. A friend said I can lime at the same time I spread seed and it will be o.k. I called the folks at Evolve and told them that I really don't want to be in there tilling and stuff in the fall and they said I would be better off seeding provide clover in the spring and then over seeding it with the shot plot in the fall. That would give the deer munchies in the spring, summer, and early fall then the shot plot will carry me through late fall and winter. Sound's like a good plan to me. We are getting a good amount of rain right now so I'm anxious to get it going. Still a little cool for planting so I figure I have a few weeks to get it all done.

Called Lou back today and ordered his special peep sight. Once I get it in it's off to the bow shop to have my bow tuned. I have to have the strings looked at by my guy. I bought new strings in September of last year. I've only put maybe 200 shots on it and it "looks" like the serving is spreading and showing the string where the loop attaches to the bottom cam. It's been like that since I had it re-strung but I'm not sure if it's o.k. I have a new guy doing my bow that I trust more than the old shop so I'm sure he will tell me straight.

Patch,
As for stand 3. I decided to put it on the back edge of the woods. I'll have plenty of area covered in the woods plus it will get the back end of the pasture that I'm always seeing deer travel through. There is a path they have worn down to dirt where they are going to and from right by that stand spot.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

My son went out with me (5 years old) Saturday to rake the leaves out of the area I plan to plant. Took a few hours and a lot of fun finding worms but we finished all right. It's gonna be nice if I can get a plot growing. I've been working on an old tiller for a few day's now trying to get it working again. I've cleaned or changed out every part I can. It's been fun to have a mechanical project to work on. My wife asked me last night if I was excited about Turkey season. I said yes but haven't given it too much thought really. Now I realize turkey season is only 4 weeks away. DANG! I got a lot to do to get ready!
Old 02-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

hard to tell by the pics, but it looks like the stands are a lil low to the ground. if you plan to hunt there alot you want to go undetected as much as possible. having your stands 18-25ft is ideal. good luck
Old 06-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

Got my bow back today. Complete tune up. New sight is on the way. I opted for the Predator pendulum sight. According to the specs my bow shoots at 276 fps which should get me out to 35 yards with the pendulum. Yea only down side is all of my stands are ladder stands that are right at 15 ft.
But now that foliage has come up they are pretty well hidden. The food plot looks great so far. I'm definitely getting excited.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Typical Buck

bigpapa's got me pumped for this season!!! I freaken can't wait!