Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bigpapa's Dream Season 2009 >

Bigpapa's Dream Season 2009

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bigpapa's Dream Season 2009

Old 02-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bigpapa's Dream Season 2009

Bigpapa, after looking at your arial photo looks like you could walk across your fields to get to stand 1,2,4. probably hunt each once a week like for example monday you hunt stand 2 then friday hunt stand 4 then vice versa. I think that would be fine maybe even 3 times a week if the deer want to stay there, depending on food source and water. It might be tough getting out of the stands and sneaking out after dark without spooking all the game in the fields, that would be the biggest thing to worry about. Looks like stand 3 would be one to be careful in too, that one could get boogered up quick maybe too.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:06 AM
Typical Buck

Patch,
Yes. Stand 1 and 4 are relatively easy to get to. Actually 4 is my tree lounge. I'll set it up right before season. It's a the best ambush location with the most cover and it's a stand alone island of persimmon and oak trees. At the beginning of the season deer pass by it regularly. However, after the persimmons are gone they take the route going by stand 1 which is harder to get too. Your also right about getting to stand 3. Getting there undetected will be quite a challenge. I'm not a fat arse or nothing (I was given the nick name Big Papa by my aunt when my son was born. Actually I'm a skinny guy. It's like calling a big guy slim or a skinny guy....well.... big papa... lol here's a pic of me and the fam on vacation down in Destin 2 years ago. and by the way my real name is Chuck) but at 185 I still crackle the leaves when I walk through and it's allllll hardwood leaves. They seem to have everything they need on the land. The streams actually start in the middle of the land on both sides of the house merge and then flow out of the property. The owner has said that in over 30 years it has never dried up. Not even last year when we were in a severe drought it didn't stop a bit. I thought about putting a little food plot out there but I really don't know where I would do it.

Chuck

Old 02-12-2009, 05:13 AM
Typical Buck

Gear update. Last night most of my gear came in from bass pro. My wife laughed at me as I walked around the house with my new release on. One hitch happened. I ordered a whisper flight rest and when I got it part of it (a screw holding the rest onto the arm) was missing. The package was obviously opened before it was sent out and it looked like it was a returned item. I called them and they apologized and said they would send me out another one and send me a packing label so I could return this one without having to pay shipping (very cool of them). However, I wasn't sold on the looks of the whisper flight when looking at it so I told them to change my order to a rip cord arrow rest. It looks more stable and reliable. Cost about $40 more but I feel more comfortable about the purchase. iI was cutting corners with the whisper. The rip cord rest should be in next week. Now I'm trying to decide which pendulum sight to get. I've boiled it down to Keller and Predator IV.

Chuck
Old 02-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

I always liked the ripchord and wanted to get one but I ended up getting a drop zone instead because the price was right. I know what the pendolums are but not quite sure how they work, what do you do when the deer is at 40 or fifty yds I thought they would self level for angle but out to 20 yds only.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:56 AM
Typical Buck

Here is stand 2. One view is looking to my right the other is looking to my left and one is ground level 20 yards away looking at the stand. I circled my stand in blue so you could find it. Now this is a staging area where the deer seem to "hang out" before hitting the pasture that is behind me.

If you look to the right on this pic you can just barely make out the field. Well, not really lol but it's there. About 20 yards from the stand.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:00 AM
Typical Buck

This is stand 1 location from the ground.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

These are my 3 sitting views from stand 1.

To my right

In front of me

To my left

Old 02-15-2009, 06:06 AM
Typical Buck

Finally here are my locations for stands 3 and 4. #4 is in an island that has persimmon trees all around it. And 3 is on the edge of a trail that the deer use going here and there. Both are right on the property lines. I still haven't put up stand 3 yet. I need to use it in my back yard for a few to sight in my bow. But it will go up soon. Stand 4 as I've said before is my tree lounge. It's a pain to get it in and out of there but this year I think I'm just gonna leave it there.

Stand # 3 location:

Stand #4 location
Old 02-15-2009, 06:16 AM
Typical Buck

According to Predator the pendulum is accurate out to about 35 to 37 yards "depending on the bow". They have an "All Terrain" version that supposedly locks down so you can get accurate yardage on ground too. And you can set it to any yardage you want. I guess when you lock it down it converts it to a single pin sight.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

35yds sounds pretty good, I will have to try one of them out sometime I find them really interesting I wonder how they work when you shoot out to20 vs 35 when the arrow slows downit might shoot low I wonder. Them pictures look good, when were they taken just recentlyout of season, because it looks like you could get some good food plots growing around them in those clearings and stuff, looks like it could be pretty good.

Quick Reply: Bigpapa's Dream Season 2009

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.