Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 anyone  bow hunt africa >

anyone bow hunt africa

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

anyone bow hunt africa

Old 02-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: anyone bow hunt africa

Seems like those close range slight quartering or broadside shots on large animalsare the ticket then...Thanks for taking the time Jake. Mark, endeavor to shoot them close and as broadside as possible. If you canhandleany extra weight, it isn't going to hurt...
Old 02-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry
Seems like those close range slight quartering or broadside shots on large animalsare the ticket then
Thats fair to say Will, provided its accompanied with proper shot placement. With that said...Pureadrenaline, If theres one thing that you should really be obsessing over, it should be shot placement. The vitals are further into the chest cavity than that of a whitetail or elk. I admit I nearly messed up a shot on my warthog, when i got to full draw i went into "auto-pilot" andsettled my pin3 inches behind the crease of the pig. Luckily I snapped out of it and put my top pin right on the "vital V" and made a perfect shot. I recomend practicing on a backyard 3-D deer target. Really beat it in your brain that you need to go straight up the middle of the leg (on a broadside shot).
Old 02-08-2009, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

The vitals are further into the chest cavity than that of a whitetail or elk.
Another excellent observation, thanks for throwing that out Jake! There's a photobook available and I believe it's called, "Perfect Shot". It's a handy reference for shot placement.

Mark, keep in mind that an eland has nearly 2.5 times the body mass of a kudu. Bust him when he's completely broadside to ensure the maximum penetration.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I will suggest a min. of 700gr arrow with the FOC above 20% with a 2 blade single bevel head.

Yes your bow is going to be slower but it is going to have a lot more momentium and hitting power.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:55 AM
Spike

thanks to everyone for the advice.I am trying to gather all the info I can,so if any one has any tips at all I will take them.I know that like any thing to do with bow hunting -you will get many different ways to do the same thing,but this is probably a once in a life time trip(I knowww --once you go you cant wait to get back).For those of you that do alot of traveling,what kind of bo case should I get?that is along way to go just to find that my bow was damaged,I want to be sure to get the best I can-- thanks again!!

mark
Old 02-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would strongly advise gettingthe SKB Rectangle bow case. It's pricey ($230), but for what your doingI wouldn't skimp. I believe it's honestly the very best bow case out there. Super well made, very secure, and has plenty of extra room in it to put other items. I would pack some of your extra clothes all around your bowjust for the added security. It comes with a no bow damageguarantee. They insure your bow against damage.
The only issue would be that you're probably going to want to bring a back up bow for your trip of a lifetime to Africa. So you'll have to take it from there.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mark,

Yes, SKB all the way. I travel with a SKB dble bow case, I usually take two bows. Make sure you take the sights off each bow and carry them in with your carry-on. Baggage guys have a way of tearing up sights. I use bow slings to protect my strings-I have two onwhile the bowsare in the case. I also use a plastic arrow case to transport my arrows/broadheads. The arrow case fits nicely in the skb case. You are not going to need a whole lot of hunting clothes-they do your laundry daily. Three changes of clothes (one for travel, two for hunting) will suffice. It's dry in Limpopo, so one pair of ankleheightboots is plenty (Crocs are great on the plane and for around camp). Warm jacket is a must. It's cold in the mornings. A stocking cap and light weight gloves help. If you can find a single detachable quiver with brackets to work on both bows, it saves room. You'll need a camera, binocs, rangefinder...The thing to rememeber, you do not need a whole lot of stuff. Your PH and the outfitter will have nearly everything as far as the hunting goes.

Takesome candy...wins favors with the help and is great when your throat is dry in the blind

For international flights, you get two 50 pound bags as your luggage allotment, plus a carry-on

I can help you get a SKB case at cost....PM me.

One last piece of advice: go to Africa with an open mind and with zero expectations! You'll have more fun when you are capable of adapting to the present conditions verses those you pre-conceived. Don't let your undies get balled up for any reason-it's hunting for goodness sake. Stay positive and listen to your PH-don't shoot the very first thing you see, your PH will tell you what's good or not-listen.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry
One last piece of advice: go to Africa with an open mind and with zero expectations!
I'll second that.Don't even bother making a "hit-list" of animals you want to take.I can remember sitting on the plane looking at pictures of Blue Wildebeest thinking why anyone would wantone of those ugly things on their walls...Then sureenough, three days later I'm releasing an arrow on a big bull. The beauty of the animals there wont hit you until your actually sitting there looking at them.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just an observation but cut on contact broad heads instead of mechanicals and a heavier arrow and your going to have better penetration. You kind of proved that or so it seems. Even with 78 lbs a mecheanical strips energy from the arrow to open it. Rage BH are the best I have seen but still take energy to open. Cut on contact take no energy to open. And a heavier arrow takes more to slow down.

Sure it won't shoot as flat out at farther range but you'll probably have a rangefinder and have practiced up for that kind of trip. So what are the downsides of uping the arrow weight and going to a cut on contact?

Old 02-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was Namibia a few years back in 05' hunting with a gun. It was amazing experience I'll never forget! I would like to say I bought a pair of hiking/hunting boots for this trip. The soles were all thick tread! While there in Namibia and putting a stalk on a Kudu, the boots because of the soles were very loud on the terrain! I recommend a smooth bottom sole on you boot! Good luck!

Quick Reply: anyone bow hunt africa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.