Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 60# versus 70#...No difference in power? Maybe >

60# versus 70#...No difference in power? Maybe

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

60# versus 70#...No difference in power? Maybe

Old 02-05-2009, 02:56 AM

Default 60# versus 70#...No difference in power? Maybe

Can a 60 LB bow produce the same power as a 70 LB bow? Yes.

My X Force set on 58# 28'' shoots a 355 gr. @ 299 F.P.S. = 70# KE / .47 momentum

How does that compare to an average 70# bow?

August 2008 Bowhunting World tested these bows: All of these bows were set on 70# and 28-29'' actual draw, tested with a 360 grain arrow:

PSE Brute: 276 fps / 61# KE/ .44 momentum
Browning Rage: 270 fps / 58# KE /.43 momentum
Reflex Growler: 293 fps / 69# KE/ .47 momentum
Mission X3: 288 fps / 66# KE/ .46 momentum
Martin Bengal: 280 fps / 63# KE/ .45 momentum
Alpine Frontier: 274 fps / 60# KE/ .44 momentum
Bear Game Over: 276 fps / 61# KE/ .44 momentum
Diamond Rock: 287 fps / 66# KE/ .46 momentum

Yes, the brace height on the X Force is 6 inches, which is less than on some of the other bows; but, it is possible for a high performing 60 LB bow to have the power of an average 70 LB bow.

Minimum draw weights are invalid when bow performance can vary greatly; A minimum KE / and or momentum is more logical.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:59 AM

Default RE: 60# versus 70#...No difference in power? Maybe

Your comparing PSE's flagship to the lower end models of other companies.

See how the 58# Xforce stacks up against a 70# Elite GT-500, or a Bowtech 82nd Airborne...

Not saying the xforce isn't a great bow, just that your comparison is off...compare apples to oranges at least...not apples to cars. My 70# Hoyt Vectrix has an IBO of 316, but I am cranking over 80# of KE. That IBO is slow by the new speed bow standards.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

No.. The big big guy is right with this one. Though your PSE with 60# limbs is a very capable bow. It does not compare to a bow of the same cailber with 70# limbs. However, I will never buy another 70# again. In my opinion it is just not worth it. Your bow for example, I am sure it has more energy then my old Martin Jag. set at 72 lbs. I shot the Diamond edge a couple weeks ago with a 29" draw and a 380 gr. arrow 60# bow, Shot over 300 fps. I was amazed.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

My Airborne 82nd at 61# isshooting 306fps &produces over 72#KE

It really wouldn't bother me to hunt with a 50# modern top of the line bow. They produce much higher KE than they did onlya few years ago.

There is the question of shootability though? I can honestly say I have shot the 82nd as good as any bow I have ever hunted with. I drew back on 4 animals this year, and I tagged everyone of them without even tracking.Is it as smooth, quiet, and vibration free as my New Captain? No! But would you really expect it to be?

I had a shoulder injury several years ago from tumbling out. The next season I was limited to shooting 40 #. I killed 2 does and one Buck that year, and they were all passthroughs. For Whitetail KE# is over rated as are many things.

Nothing beats a well placed arrow tipped with a scary sharp Broadhead

Dan
Old 02-05-2009, 05:48 AM

Guys, I realize I'm comparing a top model bow to average performers, that's the whole point. A really high IBO can offset a lower draw weight.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: im ocd

Guys, I realize I'm comparing a top model bow to average performers, that's the whole point. A really high IBO can offset a lower draw weight.
I was watching an older Bowhunting video the other day (90's I think) and before each hunt they posted the setup on the screen.

I found it amusing as most bows were 70# to 75# and I don't remember even one that was producing over 70# KE. The most of them were in the low to mid 60's as far as #'s of KE.

Dan
Old 02-05-2009, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can honestly handle a 70# X-Force.... honestly now..... then why not shoot it. My experience is that most folks aren't totally honest with themselves and they want to shoot as fast as humanly possible... even if it isn't practical or realistic for them to do so.

Me personally, I'll never buy another 70# peak weight bow. 60# compounds being made today offer plenty of power with the right choice of arrow and broadhead to take out any animal in North America. The difference for me and most all of us on here with a few exceptions is that you can draw 60#s sitting on your hind end with your feet lifted 6" and your back straight while you'd be hard pressed to smoothly draw 70# standing up with loose/warm muscles. Having the ability to draw the bow under any conditions smoothly is critical in my opinion to successful hunting... if you cannot shoot.... then how are you going to kill a deer anyway? Ugly him to death?

Even that said, I'm not a huge fan of super stiff draw cycles. I still think the admiral is an awesome bow and I came within a heart beat of snatching one when I shot it for the first time. But the more I shoot different things, the more I think I like a smoother draw better. I'm not trying to take anything away from the Admiral, its the quietest bow I've ever shot, but it isn't for me I don't think. I just personally feel that I shoot a bow with a smoother/softer draw better.... and for shooting 100# deer at 15 yards here in VA... I don't need but so much.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

SC,
The 2 biggest problems I see from newcomers that come to me is:
1. Shooting too long of a Draw length.
2. Shooting more pounds than they can easily handle.

I'm sure you see it a lot as well!

Dan
Old 02-05-2009, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: im ocd

Doesn't change draw cycle or forgiveness. Not to mention the mushy wall that I thought a lot of the PSE bows had. Be happy with what you have no need to push your set-up on others, you look like a salesman trying to sell your bow with a "My bow's best" message that ain't necessarily true. I'll take silky smooth draw and nice forgiving bow over a short braceheight speed bow anyday. Find something with some speed, braceheight, and a little axle length, and you've go the whole package. You don't see many guys in the big tournaments shooting X-Forces over Moneymakers do you, how about Kateras or Vulcans over those Pro/Ultra Elites???? Not likely, and there's a reason for that. You will find a few out on the 3D's but that's mostly because they can get away with a yardage misjudgement better with a 335fps IBO rated bow much better than a 300fps IBO rated bow. If a guy is GOOD at judging yardage, I'm sure you'll be more likely to see him with a longer axle, longer BH bow because of the forgiveness factor. Similarly, many target archers don't shoot 70# in a target bow.

Another thing to think about is $$$$$!!!! Many guys, not unlike myself and many of my friends aren't going to spend $800 on a bow.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:20 AM

Salesman? All I'm doing is presenting information. I never said my bow is better, more accurate, whatever.

Quick Reply: 60# versus 70#...No difference in power? Maybe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.