Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 life or death..... >

life or death.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

life or death.....

Old 02-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: life or death.....

Well I gave you a list of what you have haha. I strongly believe if I had my backpack I could survive. But let's say you only have what I listed. Could you do it then? Huck how would you go about starting your fire? Also what style of fire would you build and what style of shelter would you build?

Ryan.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I would do fine. The biggest killer in these situations is panic. One big mistake that I make is heading out without anyone knowing where I am. I move around a lot and could be just about anywhere on any given day. I hunt alone so I don't have backup.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I already have but was for 3 days &I got out on my own.I have had 2 other occassions when it was a 1 nighter.I am always prepared when I go into wilderness-that is the key beside NEVER loosing your cool.If your lost, your lost & only being able to THINK will get you out safe & alive. I do think you could manage IF you had a knife & a few essentials but I sure as hell would not want to try it-especially if it is COLD weather...
I did live in the mountains @ 10,000 ft. in a tent for7 months (started in snow May until end of Nov.ended in snow).
Went 6 weeks at a time b/4 getting supplies-now that is a retreat & you get to know all about your inner strength.
Just hope you never have to see if you can.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know I could.. But I wouldn't want to!!

One of my most amazing experiences in the Coast Guard thus far was when I was stationed in Alaska. I got to attend a week long Survival school. It was the worst best thing I have ever been through! I too was an eagle scout. But foremost I was raised hunting the back country of Idaho by my Mountain man father, He has taught me more then he will ever know! I have spent many a night at 9000' plus in a blizzard! Would have been scared as hell to if the old man wasn't there! I swear he is scared of nothing!
Old 02-05-2009, 05:38 PM

14 days, yea. S.E.R.E - J.E.S.T

Anyone that says 14days in the wild is easy- hasnt ever been LOST or STUCK.

Aplanned trip is entirely different than being lost. Just the word lost- sets the tone.

Being calm and confident is key.

Food-Fire-Water-Shelter

If you can secure the above and know how to ration- you'll do just fine. Understanding weather patterns, topography and knowing where North is- will increase your chances.

Hunting knowledge(wild animal knowledge) will increase your odds, but just because you're a good whitetail hunter, doesnt mean much.

I wont claim that I would "thrive". I do feel confident that I would do just fine. Focusing on being rescued is key, but dont dwell on it.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

Boy alot of you think pretty highly of yourselves, there is a difference between making it for 14 days and doing fine with skills you know but thriving is totally different. Thriving would be just doing hunky dory, no struggles no problemsjust happier than hell. I guarantee alot of you that said you would thrive would be cussing and wining the first timeit rained and you got soaked.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldnt THRIVE if I was minus my backpack. If I have my backpack, Yes. I'd be thriving. You cant panic and you have to keep positive Dont matter how bad it is.

Ryan.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

knife
flashlight
hunting clothes on
10 matches

For me the knife is pretty key. It depends on where your at but with a knife you can make alot of things. I could make a bow and arrows fairly easy. Enough to kill smallgame. But the problem is that takes alot of energy. If your talking about just getting by your talking aboutfinding the easiest food source. So you have to figure out each situation.Like others said staying calm is key. And unless you took off to try to make it out there you looking to get rescued or get out. Otherwise you'd be better prepared.

So how did you get there? Are you injured?
There are a bunch of possible things you cannot prepare for. Being in shape is major too. I think I would do ok. Thrive ...maybe eventually. But in the example the way I take it you lost or stuck and planning on getting out. Thriving to me means comfortable and staying there. I could do that tooif I knew I was staying.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, given the objects above, minus the matches, I could make fire a couple of ways. My first attempt would be to use the reflective surfaces of the flashlight (glass lens, parabolic cone, etc)combined with tinder. A sunny day would be critical. The process would be the same as starting a fire with a magnifying glass. If that did work, I would construct a bow drill. I have a knife to carve all the necessary parts. I would use a shoe lace for a string, soft wood for thehearthboard and bearing block, a willow for the bow,and hard wood for the drill/spindle. I sure I could find something to serve as tinder. I could also use the batteries from the flashlight. I would gently break the glass on the flashlight's bulb exposing the bulb's filament-risky I know, but it would serve as a last effort. The filamentcould be gently held against fiberous tinder which would ignite instantly. I'm gonna give this one a try in the off season. I know 100% I can start a fire using the bow drill...

Do you know you can start a fire with a chocolate bar and a pop can?

As far as shelter, how hard is it to stack rocks and chink them using grass and mud? A simple shed roof will suffice. Downed timber would serve asthe supports for theroof with grass and mud applied over top.It's done everywhere in the world.

Panic kills people. The trick to survival is keeping your head and solving the problems as they occur.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I was lost in the yukon. I would build a different type of shelter than what you described, I would go for a lean to because of the heat reflection factors. I doubt its very warm there at night.

Ryan

Quick Reply: life or death.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.