Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Backpack Hunting >

Backpack Hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Backpack Hunting

Old 02-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default Backpack Hunting

Has anyone ever did Backpack Hunting? Maybe its not the term, but where you go on a 2-3 day or more trip and camping out over night? Turning the cell off.

Its something I thought about doing, but debating where to go. Has anyone ever done this? Share some tips or experiences?
Old 02-04-2009, 10:23 AM

Default RE: Backpack Hunting

There's plenty of it to do up here. You really need some top notch gear though and getting outfitted ain't cheap. Of course, the better shape you're in the heavier/bulkier/cheaper gear you can hump around. Check out www.Kifaru.net those guys are all about backpack hunting.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

All the time! I love it! It brings a whole new experience to the hunt. It is deffinately the type of hunt where you learn as you go.. You always pack more then you need at first!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:05 PM

I havea few weeks worth of this style hunting planned for the upcoming season. I am quickly learning that the weight added up of the initial gear list...simply isn't going to work. I have to restructure and relist what is a must go. I have good gear, somewhat heavy but still light enough to be considered backcountry gear.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

That is pretty much most of what we do here in New Zealand.

My best advice is get a good pack that fits properly.
Light gear is a bonus and certainly makes life easier, but it is not essential, its the sort of thing you build up over time.

This sort of hunting is what I really love, a total break, it refreshes your body, mind and soul.

Find a buddy and get out there you won't regret it!

Old 02-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would love to have some time to do this. course i would probably never come back if i did.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do it all the time. For me I believe it is the best way to hunt. If you are going deep in you will need quality gear; the first thing is to get a good backpack that fits. Get yourself in shape, and count every ounce you put in the pack. Try to find as many multiple use items as possible. Parachute cord is great. That is all I got right now, if you need anything else let me know.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yup, done a lot of it here in Idaho's wilderness both elk hunting, flyfishingand shed hunting. Longest trip was 9 day elk hunt. We used horses on the 9 day hunt though! Longest backpack trip 5 days. Hvy packs, and Kodiak is right you really need to be geared up with the "right" stuff. to pull it off comfortably and safely. My trips have been into Hells Canyon, The Seven Devils and the Salmon River/ Frank Church wilderness all in Idaho.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:07 PM

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

I havea few weeks worth of this style hunting planned for the upcoming season. I am quickly learning that the weight added up of the initial gear list...simply isn't going to work. I have to restructure and relist what is a must go. I have good gear, somewhat heavy but still light enough to be considered backcountry gear.
I know what you mean. I am planning a backpacking/fly fishing trip for this spring break and I have had to reevaluate my gear a couple times already. That is the reason I bought a pack that is slightly smaller than what I thought I would need. That way I won't fill it up with extra crap
Old 02-05-2009, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

yep do it in the west for blacktails and mulies.

best advice i can give you is to GET IN SHAPE..... when your on your feet and walking around (assuming it will be in mountains, not flat land)... sometimes you end up walking much further than you think due to no deer being in the area you have topo'd. work on the in shape part and you can and will enjoy the hunting much more.

second: for a beginner i would recommend getting some things high end, but the others are not necessary.

high end: good pair of boots, good socks, lightweight sleeping bag and pad, good layering system of clothes to keep you cool and/or warm.

low end: backpack doesn't have to be high end, a decent camelbak commander (ebay for about $40) will work fine for 3 days, cooking items, purifying system (pump or iodine pills), flash light and head lamp (cheaper walmart ones for $15 work well for me), cooking stove, and all other misc. items.

if you want to get into backpacking or even know more about it then i recommend getting Camern Hanes new book about backpacking mule deer hunting....it will teach you a lot of and really help.

Quick Reply: Backpack Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.