HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   bows vs crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/285301-bows-vs-crossbows.html)

Rhody Hunter 02-04-2009 09:48 AM

bows vs crossbows

I was looking at friend of mine shoot a crossbow that he has for kicks to target shoot. Why aren't they set up like a bow omly sideways ? I don't understand why it has arrow and string friction down the rail and you need to wax it after very 5 or 10 shots. why not have it release like a bow trigger and have a rest that contains it ? seem like it would be a lot quieter that way

early in 02-04-2009 10:04 AM

RE: bows vs crossbows

ORIGINAL: Rhody Hunter

I was looking at friend of mine shoot a crossbow that he has for kicks to target shoot. Why aren't they set up like a bow omly sideways ? I don't understand why it has arrow and string friction down the rail and you need to wax it after very 5 or 10 shots. why not have it release like a bow trigger and have a rest that contains it ? seem like it would be a lot quieter that way
It has arrow/string friction because the bolt (not arrow) sits in/on the rail. There's no avoiding that.The trigger mechanism ona CB is much llike that of arelease used by bowhunters. You don't need to "wax" it after 5-10 shots, you apply rail lubricant. There isnothing quiet about a CB, and I don't think there ever will be.:D

KodiakArcher 02-04-2009 10:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Rhody Hunter

why not have it release like a bow trigger and have a rest that contains it ? seem like it would be a lot quieter that way
One reason the trigger is the way it is; the force it is holding. You can't load that kind of draw weight onto a sear/trigger engagement and have it hold without stiffening it up. The reason for the increased draw weight is because of the less efficient power stroke generated by the shorter limbs. As far as string travel across the deck, it ensures that the string stays in contact with the shaft. I suspect that the arrow isn't mounted on a rest like a compound with the string free floating behind it has something to do with the amount of force on the limbs and needing them to be more in line with the stock but I'm sure there are ways to engineer that problem out. It just may not be as efficient in energy transfer and the system is plenty inefficient already. I doubt that it would be quieter either. You're not hearing the string going across the deck, you're hearing all that latent energy that didn't get transferred to the shaft as it escapes the limbs. If the system becomes more inefficient it would actually get louder.

Rhody Hunter 02-04-2009 10:20 AM

seems like you could almost engineer it using a stock bow but have it held at full draw mechanically . I suppose it would be very wide then

KodiakArcher 02-04-2009 11:23 AM

It's been done but then it's not a crossbow anymore, it's just a bow with an illegal draw lock on it.

jag101 03-04-2011 06:18 PM

In-Line Crossbow and In-Line Draw-Loc

Originally Posted by Rhody Hunter (Post 3249054)
seems like you could almost engineer it using a stock bow but have it held at full draw mechanically . I suppose it would be very wide then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwCKfM4rxOg

also take a look at the In-Line Draw-Loc

www.drawloc.com

huntingkidPA 03-04-2011 06:43 PM

that draw loc looks really cool, its a good idea for older guys who cant pull back a bow because it simulates is pretty well. even tho they have the safety and anti-dry firing thing, for some reason it looks really unsafe to me...

jag101 03-08-2011 04:25 PM

In-Line Draw-Loc

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA (Post 3782152)
that draw loc looks really cool, its a good idea for older guys who cant pull back a bow because it simulates is pretty well. even tho they have the safety and anti-dry firing thing, for some reason it looks really unsafe to me...

It's not, It is very safe. I have been shooting one for a while and have had no problems. I shot the original Draw-Loc before that for years and have killed all kinds of critters with it. They are great for turkey hunting with your bow.

Valentine 03-09-2011 05:14 AM

Maybe some genius . . .

will come up with a new crossbow, that won't be called a crossbow, but will cost an arm and a leg to own. :barmy::barmy::barmy: