Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 whats your most memorable animal. >

whats your most memorable animal.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

whats your most memorable animal.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: whats your most memorable animal.

ORIGINAL: mohunter82

I would have to say my 1999 buck. Mainly cause it was the last season I got to spend with my grandpa. I had kiled some smaller bucks up to that point was nowhere even close to coming to the caliber of deer he had killed. less than 2 hours into my first sit of the season. up walks a 115" 219lb 11 pointer. nailed him at 27 yards. he didnt make it 20 yards. I will always remember the way it felt. now i look back at now how proud of me he was. and it seems like everytime i'm in the stand i try and have a little talk with him.
Good for You!! I'm sure he is listening!

Dan
Old 02-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sort of with Greg on this one.All of my hunts havebeen extremely memorable for one reason or another-some good and some bad.There isn't a single one I would trade! The life experiences were/are too important to me.I do think, however, hunting those things that can and do hunt back are lofty on my list of "most memorable". I've killed a 350 pound blackbear in Alaska which I did not want to kill. When he charged, he gave me no other choice. I leaped into a wait-a-minute bush upon seeing my leopard and instantly became tangled and snagged. I was the first person to see the leopard laying in ambush with its tail slightly curling at the tip (according to Chapman, this is the sign a leopard is ready to charge).Luckily, Iwas in the company of several people. Two PHs trained their weapons on the leopard while a farmer and his son freed me from the bush. The cat was less than 40 feet away.I killed her and we skated through without any further incident (other than a change of underwear). And then, I cried like a baby after I successfully spot and stalked a lioness-killing her with archery gear. This lion hunt was by farmy most emotional.

The one hunting moment I hold at the pinnacle involves a number of near misses. I was hunting Gemsbuck in S. Africa alone; my PH had been rushed to a local hospital after suffering diabetic shock. I was given a radio, a map,and a pickup point. With bow and GPS in hand, I set off. Around mid-afternoon, I located a herd of twelve gemsbuck ambling through the dense bush. I plotted an intercept course. I gained ground quickly. I had the beasts within bow range in a matter of minutes. I took a shot which was defected by an invisible downrange twig. The arrow sailed high and over the back of a nice 30 inch bull. The sound of the arrow slamming brush downrange was enough to cause the gemsbuck to split into two groups-both fleeing in opposite directions. A group ran around me and offto my right. My focus was on them. Whenit became apparent there wasn't going to be a follow up shot, I turnedmy attention back to the animal's original location. I noticed the second group, after being split from the first, were trying to rejoin the first. Opting to use the closest distant between two points route, the oryxwere coming right for me and in a hurry! I moved ten steps forward, brought my bow to full draw, and loosed an arrow in a matter of seconds. The bull I was after came around a bush not more than eight yards in front of me. He slammed on the brakes as my arrow passed right in front of his chest-shaving hairs as it went by. MOTHER OF GOD! I looked down and between my feet was a huge grey snake coiled up in a barrel coil like a constrictor. I shot to the moon!

Long story short, it was a black mamba and the deadly snake was no more than 12 inches from either leg. Why it didn't strike is still a question I ask today. I am lucky to be alive. The funny thing, at the time I had know idea the snake was a mamba-it wasn't black! I had this weird feeling though. I wanted to kill the snake and even nocked an arrow-I stopped pulling at half draw. I brought my bow down and stared at the snake for several minutes. I departed saying, "if you are a mamba, I will show you the samemercy you showed me. Have a nice day." After that life experience, I am a firm believer in Karma. When I returned to the states, I googled "Black Mamba".I found aphoto and confirmed my snake.

I like the locations where youbecome part of the food chain...

Old 02-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

All are memorable, but my first ever bowkill (which happened to be on my 23rd birthday)will be a day I will remember in detail for the rest of my life. AlthoughI've shotgun hunted since I was a kid, I had no one to teach me anything about bowhunting (except for the knowledge I gather from HNI members and my cousin), so all the scouting, preperation, practice, and patience was well worth the feeling I felt when I heard that little doe crash about 35 yards into a thicket.

I was so worked up I couldn't even speak. My brother tells me I was mumbling random and words and shaking uncontrolably.. It was no monster buck or even big old mature doe, but it will be a "trophy" in my mind forever. It is that natural high that makes me feel grateful for my lifeand freedom,and excited every time I step foot into the woods on our farm. Nothing (besides friends and family)on this planet compares to bowhunting.

October 11th, 2008:

Old 02-04-2009, 04:06 PM

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

I like the locations where youbecome part of the food chain...
No doubt about it. It changes your outlook on things.

"Welcome to Alaska... step out of your car and into the food chain!"
Old 02-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GregH

Not trying to be smart, but all the animals I've hunted ( 1 moose and a lot of deer) are memorable. I can't really pick one over the others.
I really agree with this as well. I can remember each one of them.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been blessed with some very memorable hunts. But over all the one that still means the most to me is one I didnt even pull the trigger on or trip a release.

1997 ... My brothers 4x6whitetail that he rattled in. We call that buck the "Paige" buck. Paige was my brothers little girl that was tradgically killed earlier that summer. She was 18 months old and was ran over by a delivery truck. The pain of that Fall still brings sadness and tears at times. My brother and I didnt talk much on our normal talkative outting together into the woods that fall. Instead that fall we often would just sit in silence on the drives to the mountains, hike into our spots and hunt. The day he killed that deer, ( a really fine job of calling by the way) I finally sawa tiny bit of a smile on his face for the first time since Paige had been killed. He took that buck home cleaned up the rack immediately that night. Boiling the skull everything. he hand wrote "Paige buck" across the back of the skull and hung it on the mantle of the house thatRob and I grew up in as boys. Today my brother has over 25 whitetails on his wall, I always see that 4x6 rack first and it reminds me every time I look at it to never take what we have in life for granted.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Schultzy beginners luck i guess. first year i got a bear license 9:45 am first day 4th drive. 223 lb live weight and 17 15/16 skull not bad for a 2yr 10 month old bear

john
Old 02-05-2009, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

1997 ... My brothers 4x6whitetail that he rattled in. We call that buck the "Paige" buck. Paige was my brothers little girl that was tradgically killed earlier that summer. She was 18 months old and was ran over by a delivery truck. The pain of that Fall still brings sadness and tears at times. My brother and I didnt talk much on our normal talkative outting together into the woods that fall. Instead that fall we often would just sit in silence on the drives to the mountains, hike into our spots and hunt. The day he killed that deer, ( a really fine job of calling by the way) I finally sawa tiny bit of a smile on his face for the first time since Paige had been killed. He took that buck home cleaned up the rack immediately that night. Boiling the skull everything. he hand wrote "Paige buck" across the back of the skull and hung it on the mantle of the house thatRob and I grew up in as boys. Today my brother has over 25 whitetails on his wall, I always see that 4x6 rack first and it reminds me every time I look at it to never take what we have in life for granted.
Amen Troy! I am deeply sorry for your family's loss.

All the best-Will
Old 02-05-2009, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: CAMPFOURCORNERS

Thanks Schultzy beginners luck i guess. first year i got a bear license 9:45 am first day 4th drive. 223 lb live weight and 17 15/16 skull not bad for a 2yr 10 month old bear

john
CFC, Congrats as well on a Nice Bear! I know from that picture I would have guessed him much bigger.

Bear hunting can get in your Blood. I really hope I can go again next year.

Dan
Old 02-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

2009 is the start of my 53rd year of Bowhunting so I have had a ton of memorable Bowhunts-every one in fact BUt the onesI have enjoyed the most have been with my brother & my kids that bowhunt now.
I truly think I get "MORE" excited whenI am with my kids & they are going to get a shot at something than if I was the shooter.
A ton of Whitetail, Mule Deer, 15 Black Bear Bowhunts, 15-20+ Elk Bowhunts, 2 Caribou Bowhunts& one with my son when he was 16-that was great, Wild Hog bowhuntingwith my kids AND G-kids& some other Exotic Deer Bowhunts over the years.
My 1st ever Deer in 1958 of course will never be forgotten as when I saw my son arrow his 1st Buck.I have 2 daughters that will "hopefully' get their 1st shots this year-it's gonna be a busy season for Dad & planning a getaway hog Bowhunt for 1 daughter & son (dads payin of course) in the off season in Tx. or Oklahoma.
I'm on the back side of life soI want to share as much as possible with my kids.I have been blessed with great family & a Bowhunting journey thorugh life that many will only dream about.
All my Bowhunting has& is memorable. Enjoy your journy....