Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 whats your most memorable animal. >

whats your most memorable animal.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

whats your most memorable animal.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: whats your most memorable animal.

Gettin my first deer this past year! I saw her the same spot the day before. The next day I went there causeI knew that there would be some deer there, they always bed in this spot when it snows. So me and my girlfriends father started our hike to the top of the mountain where the spot was. Sure enough about 70 yards from the top we jump one out of its bed. I said "we'll wait it's not to spooked its gonna circle back to see what it was that scared her". Still in the same spot as when we jumped her, My girlfriends father says theres one I look up and see her. I take the shot and am almost postive I hit her as soon as I pulled the trigger. When the smoke from my muzzle loader cleared we could see her in the distance trying to get up. And there it was my first deer!

Old 02-04-2009, 10:14 AM

I'm sure you'll all guess that my avatar sums it up... and you'd be right! My moose was a real close second though.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

my 05 PA black bear

Old 02-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

and my 08 archery buck not only because he is my biggest but because i also have about 40 trailcam pics of he from early june til sept. never one daytime photo of him though.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

All of my deer hunts (since the mid 70's)have been memorable to me. I can actually recall every single deer huntin whichI killed a deer (and there's been about 30 some), believe it or not. But I have to say my '06 Albertabowhunt is at the top, for a couple of reasons.
This was the second week of Nov '06. It was in the teens-low 20's, and we had a foot of snow on the ground, which madefor awesome conditionsI was hunting via a guide that I had used the year prior (no kill). I was hunting dark to dark hunts (12 hrs), and hadn't seen a single deer the first two days!! Talk about disheartening. I kept plugging along though. The third day I rattled in ahuge bodied, thick racked (low profile) 10 pointer right at noon time. He got within bow range (20yrds) but he was facing me, looking for the "fight". I never got a clear shot at him and had to watch him walk out of my life! At the time he was THE biggest buck I'd ever seen in my life!
The fourth day was real cold (teens) with 10-30mph winds. Around 2:30PM I rattled in a pretty nice, real wide (22")8pt. He came to within 15yds of me. I stood without being detected, and went to draw on him, and couldn't even draw back my own bow!!The cold had locked up my musclesfrom sitting so long without taking periodic draws to stay loose!! That was a lesson well learned.
On Friday my fith day, next to the last day of my hunt, the sun had only been up (see pic)for about an hour when I saw a lone deer about 100yds away through the woods. I thought it might be a buck. As it came in my direction I could finally see that it WAS a buck. I said "Lord let him keep coming my way". Well he did, only topaw at the snow to bed down about 60yrds from my tree stand!!After about 10-15 mins he got up and continued in my direction. Now I couldsee his rack better. It was a pretty good 8pt,and decided that he was nice enough to kill. He angled from right to left in front of me at 19yrds (ranged it after the kill) and stopped briefly enough for me to send my Muzzy through his heart. I watched him run 60yrds or soand drop!!! Yea!! I killed my first Bow Zone buck!!
Thisis mymost memorable huntso far in my quest for "the big one". I'm still looking to get him, but that's where the fun is! Sorry if I was too long winded, but I get pumped!!

Old 02-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

trailcam pic of him

Old 02-04-2009, 11:45 AM

Probably this guy. It was my second "serious" bowhunting season, It was a PM hunt. I was sitting on a creek that was about 30 yrds away from the edge of a wheat field. There was a scrapeline coming down the creek right infront of the stand. Being a mid oct hunt I was really hoping to find a little scrape action. The old hang on I was sitting in was about 15 ft off of the ground and fairly well hidden. I had killed a 6 pt earlier in the first week of oct and he was my first deer with a bow ( a whole nother story but its a good one too) thinking I was quite the hunter I decided I was going to "wait" for a big buck. I had hunted this stand a few times with nothing to show but the scrape line was being used and I was really hopeful. It had been a pretty long evening and I was getting a little bit of ADD. I noticed a little movement off to my left and brought up the binocs. A dang coon, oh well I might get a shot at him eventually I though. I continued to watch him and all of a sudden I see a rack coming up the same trail as the coon. Oh man thats when it hit. I was shaking like a leaf. Grabbed my bow and waited. It was so quiet and I watched the coon cross in front of me at about 15 yrds. Oh Lord please let that buck do the same I prayed. God answered my prayer and I sent an arrow right through his lungs at 15 yrds. I watched him circle around and fall about 50 yrds away Icouldnt contain myself, I was screaming like a kindergarten girl. I gurantee you guys have never seen a16 yr oldscramble down a tree as fast as I did. I got my arrow and ran to thebuck. I was so excited, I called my dad and he told me to load the dang sucker up myself and hurry up with it he wanted to see the buck. I can remember it was dark when I gutted him and then had to drag him down the creek bank and back up the other side I was pretty well toast after that. Drove the pickup down to the bank and pulled him in. I was so proud of him then and still am, in fact he is my biggest to date. I finally finished the eruo mount of him just a few months ago, sadly I never got a field photo of him, a little bit with my moms camcorder the next morining but no pictures, oh well I got pictures in my head.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I honestly don't know. There are several that jump out.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's one nice looking bear!! Way to go!!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to say my 1999 buck. Mainly cause it was the last season I got to spend with my grandpa. I had kiled some smaller bucks up to that point was nowhere even close to coming to the caliber of deer he had killed. less than 2 hours into my first sit of the season. up walks a 115" 219lb 11 pointer. nailed him at 27 yards. he didnt make it 20 yards. I will always remember the way it felt. now i look back at now how proud of me he was. and it seems like everytime i'm in the stand i try and have a little talk with him.

Quick Reply: whats your most memorable animal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.