Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 whats your most memorable animal. >

whats your most memorable animal.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

whats your most memorable animal.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: whats your most memorable animal.

The Last Bear I killed was aged at 28.5 years old, canines were broke, teeth were in pitiful shape. I'd say this Bear would not have survived many, if any more winters
I've heard you mention of this before Dan. That has got to be the oldest bear I've ever heard of that was aged. Mine was aged at 15.5 and I've heard others that were aged In that range also but never have I heard anything over 20 years of age. That's pretty damn neat!!
Old 02-04-2009, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

I was looking at the pa commission website last year when they post harvested bears' age and there was on the was 35 yrs and some change. my most memorable is probably my '05 pa bear that weighed 223lb and last years archery buck

john
Old 02-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Spike

My most memorable animal is not even mine. It was my younger brother's first buck he took with a bow. We got to my dad's farm late and were rushing up the logging road together and he asked me where i was going to hunt that morning. I told him that i was getting in my climber. When i told him that he kinda looked down so i asked if that was where he wanted to go. He said yeah but that was okay. I told him that he can hunt it and i will just climb in one of the ladder stands in the middle section. About 9AM i have a nice doe coming in and she just has to take a few more steps and i got her. All of the sudden she takes off running and i was thinking "what the helljust happened?". Then i looked up at the top of the trail and sure as poop there is my brother jumping up and down and waving his hands like a mad man. He starts yellin all excited "i got one! I got one!" I yelled back that I was just about to get one too but he messed it up. He's yellin at me to hurry up and come down and i looked at him and said, "Chris, is it dead?". He said yeah so i replied that there is no hurry, it's not going anywhere. Walked up to it and there it laid 30 yards from the stand, perfect lung shot. it was a real big spike(before AR's). I showed him how to gut it and we drug it out together. That was about the best day out in the woods with my brother that i ever had. We don't get to hunt together too much anymore so when the stories start this one always comes up.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

My first buck/deer. Couldn't have asked for a better first deer. Opening day Wisconsin 2001. 12ga.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to say my most memorable animal is the first deer i took with my both in 2007.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

The Last Bear I killed was aged at 28.5 years old, canines were broke, teeth were in pitiful shape. I'd say this Bear would not have survived many, if any more winters
I've heard you mention of this before Dan. That has got to be the oldest bear I've ever heard of that was aged. Mine was aged at 15.5 and I've heard others that were aged In that range also but never have I heard anything over 20 years of age. That's pretty damn neat!!
Steve, I killed him in Alberta. It was the 1st year that this particular area was opento Bear Hunt by NR's. Several miles North of Fort McMurray. We drove on a gravel road forwhat seemed like forever, then loaded gear into what looked like a giant Mud Tub with tracks to travel several more miles tobase camp which consisted of a few tents. It snowed 6" 1st night and by the 4th morning of sleeping in the cold, No shower, I was wondering what the Heck Ithought I was doing up there.

That's whenI looked at another Bait but didn't like the stand setup. Hung a hangon where I felt confident and the rest is history.Everybody that has seen the Skull says they have never seen anything like it (the teeth)It scored 20 13/16"

I was filthy by the time I gotto a shower several days later. Black mud was the norm, and with the snow and then a melt there was plenty of it. It's funny to think back now, but I hadforgot how good Hot water & soapfeels.

Dan
Old 02-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Steve, I'm envious of anyone that gets to bait and hunt Bears in their Home State. I'd love to live in some of the areas I've Hunted and be able to do my own baiting and hunt a Big chunk of the season.

Every time I've went on a Bear trip I have been as involved as possible. Days have been spent Checking and Baiting sites I wasn't hunting, instead of fishing

On the 2 Biggest Bears I killed I actually opted to set up a hang on in a different spot than the Ladder stand was set, and it worked like a charm. The one Bear I saw come in at about 60-70 yards lay down and watched that Ladder Stand for a good 20 minutes before coming in to the bait, and taking his medicine

Big Bears are not easy, nor are they a push over at a Bait. They don't get Old by being Dumb. The Last BearI killed was aged at 28.5 years old, canines were broke, teeth were in pitiful shape. I'd say this Bear would not have survived many, if any more winters.

Dan
He probably was committing suicide to help pad your ego!!!!

I think my most memorable would have to be the big old doe I killed in 2005 because I had so many deer around me and I'd owed her one for ruining a hunt the year before. I had to wait her out and was near giving up when a couple of the 16 with her popped up an moved my direction. She'd bedded 16 deer in a valley I'd seen deer bedded in in my life, and she circled the entire herd bedded them down, then took a spot out towards the front of the herd, and bedded down herself. When a pair of the yearlings popped up, she circled the entire herd again, bumping them out of their beds, including a pair of young antlered bucks, then she trotted forward to catch the other OLDER doe of the herd at the creek for a drink, appearing almost as if they were having a conversation. With all of those deer within 40yds of me in any direction, she finally came clear after cresting the bank of the creek at about 25yds, and I settled a pin and zipped her, the Wasp Jak-Hammer cut her aorta from her heart, and jellied both lungs and as she spun to run, she spray a pink mist through the arrow the entire 70yds of her "death run." It was the most spectacular thing I ever saw, and I can only wish to film something similar someday to remind me of that hunt. My second might be the big doe this year, that I killed with 12 deer within 30 yds. of me exactly 3yrs. to the date after the first mentioned.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I havnt been able to narrow it down to just 1 yet. All 5 of my deer kills have been exciting, and my "Jom" turkey kill as well. If i had to choose it would probably be my first buck/deer ever because it was with my bow from the ground.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first bowkill.

A caribou in Northern Quebec Canada.

It was also a father/son hunt with 3 other father/sons. I'll never forget it.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say my first deer . I stalked up on here to 10 yards over a hill . She saw me but just stood there so i drew back on an old bear bow and double lunged her. She ran about 25 yards ,stopped then looked back and then fell over.I was so pumped. Also i did it on my birthday .couldn't have asked for a better present

Quick Reply: whats your most memorable animal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.