Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you use Scent blocking clothing/sprays? (poll) >

Do you use Scent blocking clothing/sprays? (poll)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you use Scent blocking clothing/sprays? (poll)

Old 02-04-2009, 08:44 AM

Default RE: Do you use Scent blocking clothing/sprays? (poll)

I have the whole works, dream season suit, the boots, gloves, hat, you name it, all from scent blocker!! I shot 2 of the 4 deer this year down wind of me... You people that say it is a joke, better think again. I know it is hard to get 100% scent free, but scent blocker or any other scent eliminating products will give you RESULTS.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I only use the spray and even then i don't always use it . The clothes are a wast of money in my opinion
Old 02-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

When i first bought my scent lok clothes i was not sure if it worked, so i waited for really good sales and got scent lok clothes that i would ware wether or not its scent lok, so even if it dont work i still use it for the right weather conditions. For example i got Cabela's MT050® GORE-TEX® Scent-Lok®/pants for 100 bucks including tax!(normally costs 220) I would of bought them for that price even without the scent lok...
Old 02-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I posted a similar poll not long ago. I use and will continue to use sprays- I do believe they help (somewhat)

I purchased an original Scent-Lok suit wayyyy back before most people knew about them- back when they had to hock the suits at local hunting shows. I used it for a few years. I came to the conclusion that I still had to play the wind, however if the wind varied a bit or swirled for whatever reason, like the sprays, it helped .

As an example (and anecdotal evidence- certainly not scientific) I remember one extremely warm 80 something degree day in October bowhunting and I was sweating like a pig- going in and on my stand. The wind changed/ (top of a hollow) not long after I got in there, so I was continulously testing the wind with powder and it kept falling down to the ground and drifting into this one particular area before becoming so fine I could no longer see it it. I really didnt have time to move anywhere else and hunt for the evening so I stuck it out.

About 30 minutes later after running a doe around my area for awhile and giving up on her, I had a nice 6 pt buck come back to my doe grunts and walk right down the path I came in nose to the ground, and then where my wind powder had been falling to the forest floor. He caught me move a little, relaxed after looking through me. and then milled around in the area for a bit. Finally presented me a good shot and I centerpunched his lungs. After watching him do a giant semi-circle around my stand back up into the field and then cartwheeling to the ground , I tested the wind again and the powder drifted right into that area I had shot him. I don't know how he did not get my wind that day I have to honestly say the suit (WITH MASK!) is the only logical explanation I can give. Overall I think the mask is very important for whatever added effectiveness the suits give you.

On a side note-It was so hot that day and he had been running like a mad man that it looked like an axe murder scene following the bloodtrail.

Will I buy more scent clothes this year? I don't know- I'f I'm able to procure some property to hunt again, I may invest in one of those silvermax suits or whatever, or some other kind of "base" layer- and then rely on my normal "scent free as possible "regimen (how the clothes are stored, putting them on in the field, , proper washing etc).
Old 02-04-2009, 10:18 AM

I use them when hunting whitetails in woodlots where I can drive from home. If I'm hunting anything else it's on multi-day hunts and you can forget the Scent control clothing. You've just got to pay attention to the wind and know when to go or stay.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scent Blocker suit, and Scent Killer spray