Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Breaking the silence, I fell! >

Breaking the silence, I fell!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Breaking the silence, I fell!

Old 02-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Breaking the silence, I fell!

The day was 12/27/08. I was about 17' feet up an starting down. Had mud on my boots an it had started raining.My feet slipped an I fell back on the top part of my Viper stand. I went over it an fell to the ground an landedon alog about a foot in dia. I stood up an the rain started falling harder. I knew I needed to get back across the old river an get to the camp before thesoreness set in. I broke my clavicle anhave 3 sore ribs an a shoulder that is slowly recovering. Have not even attempted to pull my bow back since that day.I have not missed any work an hopefully will be able to pull back my bow to hunt the last few days of Feb.

Oh, I have hunted withoutasaftey harness for 25 years, but no more.When I stood up. I knew I was lucky to be standing.

I know that I am fixing to take alot of slack. If you wear a harness say what you wish. If you don't then you maybe next. It's not if you fall but when.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Breaking the silence, I fell!

I'm not saying anything but glad your OK, It sounds like you learned your lesson! I went without a harness for years and got lucky, I wear one every time in a tree no matter what I'm doing, taking pictures, trimming branches, going up and down the tree and especially while hunting! Glad you are OK!
Old 02-03-2009, 04:40 PM
bigcountry

Dadgone. Your lucky man. Glad to see you didn't break your neck.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:48 PM

Glad your ok man!! Hunter Safety Sytems make a hell of a vest!!
Old 02-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

thats pure luck your still walking around
Old 02-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

The fall isusually notthe problem, it's that friggen landing! Glad to hear you're mending well, you were lucky.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

I've gun hunted since I was young. Since in Wisconsin we only have9 day season I only spent ~4 days/year in a stand. I never slipped or got close to falling but I thought about it many times I really should be wearing a harness. Needless to say since I've decided to take up bowhunting and willprobably will be spending dozens of days in my stand per year now soI bought a hunters safety vest. I probably should have done it sooner but the peace of mind is great!
Old 02-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Damn that must have hurt!

Glad you are OK
Old 02-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like you're going to recover. You're one of the lucky ones. A lot of folks will wear a harness using a hang on. Your story is just a testimonial to their necessity "anytime" your feet leave the ground. Climber/hang-on it doesn't matter wear a harness.

Dan
Old 02-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Glad you are Ok!! I'm not saying anything I've been that route. I also found my Brother in Law with a Broken back and he had to be Life Flighted out.

Those 2 experiences changed my practices. It can happen to anyone. Everyone Be Safe!! There is No such thing as too careful!

Dan

Quick Reply: Breaking the silence, I fell!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.