Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why is acorn rage legal in my state? >

Why is acorn rage legal in my state?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why is acorn rage legal in my state?

Old 02-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why is acorn rage legal in my state?

Hunting over bait is illegal here, in Indiana. BUT All the farm stores sell Acorn Rage, C'mere Deer, Trophy Rockand other "attractants". You can put it out, but it has to be removed 10 days before the season opens.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure on this, but even if it is illegal to hunt over it can't you still use it and put it out to get the deer to come over to your hunting area as long as it is not there when your hunting it?
No - its use is illegal in NY - I think I am the 5th or 6th to point this out.

Steve
Old 02-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seems like there is a logical distinctionto be drawn between an attractant and food or bait.

Cmere Deer, even though probably a waste of money, is more like an attractant or scent.
It flavors the plants or something like that, and is more like a curiosity scent. Trophy rock and minerals
are somewhat similar.They can be beneficial to the deer, but are not quite the same as "baiting." (Most established mineral licks are hit at night anyway).

Acorn Rage is actually food and to me would clearly fall under baiting. BTW, putting out one Acorn Rage ain't gonna get much done if you are trying to "bait."

You should read your regs. They are supposed to be clear enough that the "average" person can tell
what the hell is legal from illegal, sometimes they even list examples and such.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LebeauHunter

Seems like there is a logical distinctionto be drawn between an attractant and food or bait.

Cmere Deer, even though probably a waste of money, is more like an attractant or scent.
It flavors the plants or something like that, and is more like a curiosity scent. Trophy rock and minerals
are somewhat similar.They can be beneficial to the deer, but are not quite the same as "baiting." (Most established mineral licks are hit at night anyway).

Acorn Rage is actually food and to me would clearly fall under baiting. BTW, putting out one Acorn Rage ain't gonna get much done if you are trying to "bait."

You should read your regs. They are supposed to be clear enough that the "average" person can tell
what the hell is legal from illegal, sometimes they even list examples and such.

I gotta disagree Lebeau. Cmere deer, trophy rock, minerals, are all things that deer EAT.They'renot just an attractact like a scent or lure, they are baiting. Any state reg that I know of considers all of them baiting.
I know in Illinois, anyone of them can put you in a nice set of handcuffs
Old 02-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Spike

I'm from NY, and i'm going to agree with everyone else that has said this. Acorn Rage IS illegal in new york. The explanation from the DEC website (new york game commission) is "You may use cover scents and lures, such as doe urine, for deer hunting. However, it is illegal to place a salt block or mineral lick on lands inhabited by deer at any time of year. It is also illegal to feed deer. Some attractants that are marketed for deer are liquids or dissolving powders which deer may not directly consume, but the attractants may entice deer to feed on the material which absorbed the attractant. These types of produces would not be legal."

So, the law says any sexual or scent based attractant is ok, any attractant you PLACE that is used to feed or make the deer want to feed is not. There is, however, a loop hole in the law that says there is nothing wrong with hunting over food plots. The law is that the food must be there naturally. So, planting corn, alfalfa, hunting by an acorn tree are all ok and very legal. Going into the woods with a bag of apples and laying them in front of your stand is not.

The law was actually meant to prevent the spread of CWD in NYS, so they say. Seeing as how they don't know what causes CWD to transfer from animal to animal, they want to keep the amount of animals in one spot to a minimum.

My advice is if you want to pull deer into you by means of food, plant some apple trees, get some alfalfa or food plants and plant them. Nothing wrong with that and your also helping out the animals near buy by providing some available food year round.

Hope that helps explaining things a bit.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Dominant Buck

It's legal to possess some things, though their actual use may be illegal.
Example given:
It's legal to buy and possess seeds from the opium poppy in the US, many seed catalogs carry them, and every poppyseed roll or bagel you've ever eaten was covered with them. Food for thought if they drug test where you work. But actually planting, or even just sprouting those same seeds will get you many moons in the butt hut.

In Indiana where I live both baiting and electronic deer and turkey calls are illegal for use while hunting, but you can legally buy them.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Each state has different rules-some you are ALLOWED to put out & hunt over, some you can put out bait but cannot hunt that area for a certain# of days AFTER REMOVAL& others your not SUPPOSED to EVER use any bait. A growing corn field, Beans,ect. &even FOOD PLOTs people put out are legal.
All theDeer Attractants-baits are sold in almost every stateI have been inBUT not always legal to use. My home states of Ill. & Iowa have tons in every Wally, sport shop there is but NOT LEGAL to hunt over.
CHECK with your DNR if you value your hunting privilages is my suggestion.