Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant >

NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant

Old 02-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant

ORIGINAL: bowtech die hard

ORIGINAL: cooter144

ORIGINAL: DannyD

ORIGINAL: cooter144

Of course if they do make these counties open to gun hunting it probably wouldn't take long for the "brown its downers" to to wipe out enough of the buck herdto eventually make hunting there no better than the rest of the state.

Am I wrong?

No you are not wrong.
But it should be about setting the proper kill limits to control the herd sizenot aboutbanning guns.
What's wrong with being a "brown it's down" guy? If you want to impose your idea of a trophy on someone else go buy up some land and manage it.
Wherein my post didI try to impose my idea of a trophy on anyone? All I said is people want to rifle hunt there because there arebig bucks present...BUT...the reason there arebig bucks there is because there is no rifle hunting aloud. I didn't say there is anything wrong with "brown it's down".

BTW...I dohunt privateland and manage it but thanks for your advice.
yeah I think you're wrong. What was the world record typical killed with? Where was it killed? Does saskatchewan still produce monster deer in massive numbers despite gun hunting? The answer is yes. What about the kids who can't hunt with a bow yet? Can't we give them a shot with a firearm? As for the browner downer comment, that was implied, you have to admit that. I hunt private land and manage it also, so how does this affect you that much unless you only hunt a couple acres? You know a deer's core area is usually less than a square mile right? if the guys around you manage I don't think you're going to be seeing much of an effect. Just saying.
Can you explain to me how there are any similarities between Saskatchewan and WV? Are you paying attention? This area started to produce mature bucks AFTER the DNR decided to make it bow only to reduce the hunting pressure that was wiping out the herd. Hunting pressure and habitatvaries a lot between different States/ Provinces. Why do think a state like MI produces so many fewer mature bucks than a state like Iowa for instance? Hunting pressure

I have many friends who are "brown it's down" type of hunters and that is good for them if it makes them happy. I never said any of this affects me. I was just making a simpleobservation. The rifle hunters who so badly want to get into this area to shoot big bucks would turn in back into what it was before the rifle ban.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:59 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: madvilledoc

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: concordmountaineer

I live in the smack middle of the four bow only counties in Southern WV and I don't give a rats butt as to what any outsider thinks about this. The point is that the people here want this to be kept bow-only, in a unanimous decision. If you wanna come to our area to hunt then hunt by our rules. Do we go into counties up north and fuss and cry about making it bow-only? No. You guys want it kept open to gun season, so if we hunt there, then we have to play by your rules, its only fair that you do the same when you come to our counties to hunt.
From someone who also hunts and comes smack dab to the middle (well edge) of those counties, what in the world are you talking about????? Nobody here is saying they are not going to play by Mingo's etc rules?
I thought what he said was pretty clear. He doesn't want outsiders like the NRA to come in and dictate rules when the people who live there don't want it. I know you said earlier that you know several people who want a gun season in these counties, but where were they during the Commission meeting. I can tell you where. They were like the NRA (Not Really Around). I don't know why you are still arguing this, bigcountry. It really doesn't matter anymore.
no, it was clear from his post he thinks people are coming in not playing by the rules. That doesn't make a lick of sense. Well, most of the people who would like to gun hunt in the pineville, mullens, Gilbert area would come to a commission meeting. I don't blame em. I can't imagine they would have been accepted well. What you don't understand is the loudest group is not the always the right ones, in fact, rarely.peta is prime example, they are out there making a bunch of noise, where are us hunters?

Old 02-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: concordmountaineer

I live in the smack middle of the four bow only counties in Southern WV and I don't give a rats butt as to what any outsider thinks about this. The point is that the people here want this to be kept bow-only, in a unanimous decision. If you wanna come to our area to hunt then hunt by our rules. Do we go into counties up north and fuss and cry about making it bow-only? No. You guys want it kept open to gun season, so if we hunt there, then we have to play by your rules, its only fair that you do the same when you come to our counties to hunt.
From someone who also hunts and comes smack dab to the middle (well edge) of those counties, what in the world are you talking about????? Nobody here is saying they are not going to play by Mingo's etc rules?
I thought what he said was pretty clear. He doesn't want outsiders like the NRA to come in and dictate rules when the people who live there don't want it. I know you said earlier that you know several people who want a gun season in these counties, but where were they during the Commission meeting. I can tell you where. They were like the NRA (Not Really Around). I don't know why you are still arguing this, bigcountry. It really doesn't matter anymore.
no, it was clear from his post he thinks people are coming in not playing by the rules. That doesn't make a lick of sense. Well, most of the people who would like to gun hunt in the pineville, mullens, Gilbert area would come to a commission meeting. I don't blame em. I can't imagine they would have been accepted well. What you don't understand is the loudest group is not the always the right ones, in fact, rarely.peta is prime example, they are out there making a bunch of noise, where are us hunters?
I understand what you are saying, bigcountry, but if there are people wanting a gun season in these counties, the DNR Commission meeting and the regional meetings next month are the proper places to voice their opinion. And yes it is true that the people wanting to keep it bow only were the loudest voice. But not only were they the loudest voice, they were the only voice.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:39 PM
bigcountry

I understand what you are saying, bigcountry, but if there are people wanting a gun season in these counties, the DNR Commission meeting and the regional meetings next month are the proper places to voice their opinion. And yes it is true that the people wanting to keep it bow only were the loudest voice. But not only were they the loudest voice, they were the only voice.
Maybe, I don't know. Maybe one day, a louder voice will keep you from doing something you love or want. Hey, like I said, it would benefit me much more if they made it selfbow only with primitive supplies. But what benefits me doesn't make it right or fair.