Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant >

NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant

Old 02-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant

ORIGINAL: WV Hunter

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

When you go to the meetings next week ask the Commission if the herd numbers are down why they added Doe tags last year? Something doesn't add up in my book! Good luck!
It adds up perfectly....if you look atthe track record of the WV DNR. Most everything they do is Bass Ackwards it seems. Certainly one of the worst run I've ever seen. Hopefully they won't open it, but it wouldn't suprise me if they did at some point, they usually make that kind of choice.

I totally agree. WV's DNR is a disgrace to WVhunting. I always laugh whenever the year ends deer harvest report comes out in the local newspaper. The DNR ALWAYS has an excuse as to why the deer kill is dwindling and down. Their (DNR) excuses fro a low deer kill on opening gun season is either it was too cold, too hot, rainy, snowy or some other BS excuse. The REAL reason is the poorly management over the last 10-15 years by WV's DNR!
Old 02-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Typical Buck

I haven't read this entire thread, but I did read 3/4 of it. Both sides make some valid points. One thing that I do agree on is that NO group should have any influence on deer seasons, limits, weapon uses, etc. other than the biologist hired to do their job. Here in South Carolina we are the laughing stock of the United States when it comes to deer "management" because here it is 2009 and we still have no limit on the number of deer that you can kill and still have a FIVE MONTH LONG GUN SEASON. In 95% of the state there is no bow season, period. This is because our state DNRis ran by politicans, not the biologist that were hired.

Okay, now lets get to bow vs. gun use in these counties. The orginal maker of this thread swears up and down that letting hunters use rifles would wipe out all of the deer. How so? If you set limits and enforce them, it doesn't matter what kind of weapon you are using. A set number is a set number. If your logic was correct then SC wouldn't have any deer left and infact in most of the state we have 45+ deer a sq. mile. Sure there would be more hunters, but that doesn't mean there would be more deer killed. It would increase pressure

It is interesting that I am making this post because I have been "fighting" for a real bow season here in SC (I don't gun hunt) for years now. The bow hunters in SC would be happy with a 50/50 split of our season because that is fair. Now I am sitting on the other side of the fence (even though I don't gun hunt) and defending it.

It seems to me that the "bow hunters" in the area want to keep their little slice of big buck heaven to a point where they are showing their greed. Again, you can have plenty of deer, big bucks, and a good age structure through limits and seasons, NOT banning a specific weapon.

If these areas have been bow only since the 70's and aren't grossly over populated something isn't right. It sounds to me that the LEO's probably aren't doing there job because there is no way that you can show me an area that has been bow only for over 25 years and still isn't over populated unless there is some X factor that throws the natural breeding equation off. Or you guys have A LOT more bow hunters than you think you do.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:30 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: StrutNtom

I haven't read this entire thread, but I did read 3/4 of it. Both sides make some valid points. One thing that I do agree on is that NO group should have any influence on deer seasons, limits, weapon uses, etc. other than the biologist hired to do their job. Here in South Carolina we are the laughing stock of the United States when it comes to deer "management" because here it is 2009 and we still have no limit on the number of deer that you can kill and still have a FIVE MONTH LONG GUN SEASON. In 95% of the state there is no bow season, period. This is because our state DNRis ran by politicans, not the biologist that were hired.

Okay, now lets get to bow vs. gun use in these counties. The orginal maker of this thread swears up and down that letting hunters use rifles would wipe out all of the deer. How so? If you set limits and enforce them, it doesn't matter what kind of weapon you are using. A set number is a set number. If your logic was correct then SC wouldn't have any deer left and infact in most of the state we have 45+ deer a sq. mile. Sure there would be more hunters, but that doesn't mean there would be more deer killed. It would increase pressure

It is interesting that I am making this post because I have been "fighting" for a real bow season here in SC (I don't gun hunt) for years now. The bow hunters in SC would be happy with a 50/50 split of our season because that is fair. Now I am sitting on the other side of the fence (even though I don't gun hunt) and defending it.

It seems to me that the "bow hunters" in the area want to keep their little slice of big buck heaven to a point where they are showing their greed. Again, you can have plenty of deer, big bucks, and a good age structure through limits and seasons, NOT banning a specific weapon.

If these areas have been bow only since the 70's and aren't grossly over populated something isn't right. It sounds to me that the LEO's probably aren't doing there job because there is no way that you can show me an area that has been bow only for over 25 years and still isn't over populated unless there is some X factor that throws the natural breeding equation off. Or you guys have A LOT more bow hunters than you think you do.

There is also a lot more options than mass guns season in these counties. Maybe a lotto gun season. Limited amount of hunters.

The land there is extremely rugged and the deer population takes care of itself without outside influences.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

I just got back from the DNR Commission Meeting held in Flatwoods today. There was an impressive standing-room only crowd present for the meeting. Most of the people that elected to speak at the meeting spoke on this very topic. All of them were against any form of gun season in these counties. There was not a single person attending that spoke in favor of opening a gun season. The NRA was also strangly absent which surprised me as it was their actions that started this mess in the first place. At the end they took a headcount of all those in favor of keeping it bow-only and all those in favor of some form of gun season. The vote was 152 to 0 to keep it bow-only. I think that says it all. I think you will find a few people who do want a gun season in these counties, but the vast majority of the locals that actually live there want to keep it bow only.

The good news is that the DNR stated emphatically that there was currently no plans on opening a gun season in the four bow-only counties.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Banned

Without reading through all of these posts..you stated on your 1st post that you have "heard" that the NRA plans on lobbying. Any "facts" on this or just hearsay?
Old 02-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: madvilledoc
The NRA was also strangly absent which surprised me as it was their actions that started this mess in the first place.
Well, I just saw this right before my last post...once again..maybe it was all rumor and hearsay that the NRA was ever involved
Old 02-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Without reading through all of these posts..you stated on your 1st post that you have "heard" that the NRA plans on lobbying. Any "facts" on this or just hearsay?
I wish it was hearsay. Unfortunately it is fact. They sent out questionaires to all their members in those four counties and the 5 adjacent counties. Copies of the questionaire were printed in the last WVBA magazine.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:48 PM
bigcountry

Good news for you then. I think WV DNR should make the area selfbow only. No compounds, not fiberglass recurves. Handmade selfbow only shooting only wooden arrows. That way those bucks would really reach thier potential. its only good for the deer.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good deal, glad to hear it.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

The problem made the front page of the Charleston Gazette. Interesting story.

http://www.wvgazette.com/News/200902150394

Quick Reply: NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.