Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant >

NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant

Old 02-03-2009, 10:12 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant

ORIGINAL: tmontgo1

By making bow hunting only it takes off alot of pressure. Go to a game station in WV the first and second day of gun season and see how many deer come in. Then go the first and second day of archery. Ur going to see a huge deficit.
Yep, but why not take all the pressure off? I think thats the question.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: madvilledoc

In southern West Virginia, there are four counties that have been archery-only for deer since the mid 70's.

Also due to the archery-only status and one-buck limit, the age structure is much higher than what is found elsewhere in the state. In these counties bucks have a great chance to reach their true potential.

You can still gun hunt small game, coyote, bear, birds, etc. The only species that is archery-only is whitetail.
These first threesentences reveal EXACTYLY why the Edmonton Bow Zone (1600sq miles)in Alberta is what it is (including the year they started bowhunting ONLY).A bowhunting big whitetail mecca! I have a question regarding the last part.Is this shotgun only, or riflein the four countiesfor these other species excluding whitetails?
Old 02-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

By making bow hunting only it takes off alot of pressure. Go to a game station in WV the first and second day of gun season and see how many deer come in. Then go the first and second day of archery. Ur going to see a huge deficit.
Thats already been said and the idea was to take some of the pressure off and let the population rebound( cause it was about annihilated. When ever this is done there are quotas set on the amount of animals that have to be in the area for the regulation to be taken off. ****((((If the quota is met the regulation should be taken off, IF it is not met then the regulation should stand****))))) This is the same crap thats goin on out west the Gray wolf population is ten fold now, as what the quota was set for and they are still protected.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:23 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Thats already been said and the idea was to take some of the pressure off and let the population rebound( cause it was about annihilated. When ever this is done there are quotas set on the amount of animals that have to be in the area for the regulation to be taken off. ****((((If the quota is met the regulation should be taken off, IF it is not met then the regulation should stand****))))) This is the same crap thats goin on out west the Gray wolf population is ten fold now, as what the quota was set for and they are still protected.
Again, its such a simple question its sad. I can't believe you can't answer it??? But I don't think you were around when all this went down in the first place so I understand why you wouldn't know.. Ky took a different stance, and stopped all deer hunting.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

As madville said in his post, the regulation was put in during the seventies when the population was wiped out, like most of the rest of the state in the early last century. The goal was to get a sustainable herd back, and that is a conservation mindset.

The population of deer in these counties has increased in the last several years (especially in the last 10). For years you could only take one buck (no does) in these counties. Last year the DNR added one doe to the mixture to combat the rising population. However, the overall population is rather low in comparison to other areas of the state.

tmontgo1... and he also said this,"adding a Doe to the mixture", why are they adding tags if there is a deer population problem????
Old 02-03-2009, 10:24 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: early in

In southern West Virginia, there are four counties that have been archery-only for deer since the mid 70's.

Also due to the archery-only status and one-buck limit, the age structure is much higher than what is found elsewhere in the state. In these counties bucks have a great chance to reach their true potential.

You can still gun hunt small game, coyote, bear, birds, etc. The only species that is archery-only is whitetail.
These first threesentences reveal EXACTYLY why the Edmonton Bow Zone (1600sq miles)in Alberta is what it is (including the year they started bowhunting ONLY).A bowhunting big whitetail mecca! I have a question regarding the last part.Is this shotgun only, or riflein the four countiesfor these other species excluding whitetails?
Its rifle.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

[/quote]

Again, its such a simple question its sad. I can't believe you can't answer it??? But I don't think you were around when all this went down in the first place so I understand why you wouldn't know.. Ky took a different stance, and stopped all deer hunting.

[/quote]

Ur right man, i wasnt around when this was set into order, in fact i wasnt even a twinkle in my parents eye. But in WV if they completely shut down hunting in there it would be hell. People in WV dont like things being taken away from them, they were lucky to just get that much regulation on it.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

As madville said in his post, the regulation was put in during the seventies when the population was wiped out, like most of the rest of the state in the early last century. The goal was to get a sustainable herd back, and that is a conservation mindset.

The population of deer in these counties has increased in the last several years (especially in the last 10). For years you could only take one buck (no does) in these counties. Last year the DNR added one doe to the mixture to combat the rising population. However, the overall population is rather low in comparison to other areas of the state.

tmontgo1... and he also said this,"adding a Doe to the mixture", why are they adding tags if there is a deer population problem????
Come on please, i simply said that there was a population problem obviously when it was put into effect, and i said if the population is back up then the regulation should be taken off, and ur right from what he said, the regulation should rightfully be taken off and all hunting types aloud.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Spike

I live in the middle of Wyoming County, WV which is one of the bow counties and the only kind of hunting I do is bowhunting. Right now the season runs from Oct. 18th - Dec. 31st. You are allowed to kill one buck and one doe, or two does for the entire season. Personally - I wouldn't have a problem with them allowing maybe a two week Muzzleloading season, only in return for a longer bow season. Let's say bow season opens on Sept. 14th - Dec. 31st, with a Muzzleloading season running from Nov. 14th - Nov. 30th. Muzzleloading only though, so you have one shot and done, just like a bow. No unloading allowed! NO RIFLES! If you wanna rifle hunt, go to Raleigh, Mercer, or Monroe counties, which is boardering counties.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The NRA is a PRO-GUN group, NOT a PRO-HUNTING group.

They spend millions trying to sell themselves as a group that cares about outdoorsmen - in a veiled effort to drum up as much $$$ as possible - but when the rubber meets the road, they'll cutbowhunters' collectivethroats in a heartbeat. They don't care about bows. They don't care about conservation. They don't care about wildlife management. They just want the most liberal gun laws possible.

Obviously, there is a direct conflict of interest there.

If you think thatthere is some overlap between gun rights and hunting, you're probably right. However, when you really look at things, the two issues aren't nearly as interwoven as one would think.

Put it this way: I'm in the woods at least 75 times/year. Of those 75, I have a gun in my hand for a maximum of 8 hunts. Of those times when I DO take a gun out, those weapons are not the type of firearms that the NRAwastes millions of hunter dollars"protecting."

I don't hunt with assault weapons and handguns.

Toborrow a line frommy buddy-Iwouldn't piss on the NRA ifthe headquarterswas on fire.

I mean, I respect what they do. It's just not anything that I care about. It just bothers me when I see fellow hunters being snowed into believing that the NRA is here to save deer season. It's not.

Quick Reply: NRA vs West Virginia Bowhunters Rant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.