Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 BroadHead Advice >

BroadHead Advice

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BroadHead Advice

Old 02-02-2009, 05:44 PM

Default BroadHead Advice

I bow hunt in the Southeast and have always used expandable blades because the fly exactly like my fieldpoints.

I'm heading to Colorado for Elk this fall and exandables are not permitted. What fix broadhead would you recommend for Elk. Is there a broad head that flies like a fieldpoint?

HELP!

Thanks

Old 02-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: BroadHead Advice

I'm heading to Colorado for Elk this fall and exandables are not permitted. What fix broadhead would you recommend for Elk. Is there a broad head that flies like a fieldpoint?
MULTIPLE!

The key to broadhead flight is a well tuned bow, matched tuned arrows and adequate fletch. All this and the arrow comes out of the bow properly, the arrows are quick to spin thusly stabilizing the arrow so that the broadhead will not plane the arrow.

I have Muzzy, G5's, Slick Tricks all flying like field points.

There are others like the Shuttle T that are marketed as field point accuracy and I've read several members here backing that marketing.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

MULTIPLE!

The key to broadhead flight is a well tuned bow, matched tuned arrows and adequate fletch. All this and the arrow comes out of the bow properly, the arrows are quick to spin thusly stabilizing the arrow so that the broadhead will not plane the arrow.

I have Muzzy, G5's, Slick Tricks all flying like field points.

There are others like the Shuttle T that are marketed as field point accuracy and I've read several members here backing that marketing.
Agreed all the way, I shoot Montecs, and they have always flew like my field points, muzzy's also, both great heads. Either would be a great choice for you.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

You won't find a tougher, better flying, and sharper Broadhead all in one package than a Slick Trick.

For Elk I'd suggest the 100 or 125 Standards.

Dan
Old 02-03-2009, 01:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with all the above. There are a lot of excellent choices. you can take a look at my website and get some more info and tuning tips to help you out. www.broadheadtests.com some of my personal favorites are magnus stingers, muzzys, NAP nightmares, slick trick razortricks etc.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot Slick Tricks, not because of the claim "they fly like field points," but because they're a nice sharp, affordable head. Like Rob said, any broadhead should fly like a field point out of a properly tuned bow with a properly spined arrow. I would recommend Slick Trick's since that's what I use, and have been happy, but there are plenty of other options that would be just as effective. I think if I wasn't shooting these, I would be looking to the Montec's to try. I like the one piece design.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the advice! I went with the Muzzy 100 grain 3 blades. Without any "tuning" they fly exactly like my field tips!

Now I'm ready for ELK!

Old 02-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MGH_PA

I shoot Slick Tricks, not because of the claim "they fly like field points," but because they're a nice sharp, affordable head. Like Rob said, any broadhead should fly like a field point out of a properly tuned bow with a properly spined arrow. I would recommend Slick Trick's since that's what I use, and have been happy, but there are plenty of other options that would be just as effective. I think if I wasn't shooting these, I would be looking to the Montec's to try. I like the one piece design.

X1 I personally shoot the montec 100gr. with great results!
Old 02-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob hit this one right from the beginning. The real truth is, regardless of all the calims of "field point accuracy, there isn't a fixed blade head made that will live up to these claims if poorly spined arrows and a poorly tuned bow/arrow combo are not achieved.

Pick almost any good head, pick the right spined arrows, tune the whole setup well, and most will give fieldtip accuracy within acceptable hunting distances. Because there are blades up front they can be more susceptable to wind drift on breezy days, but that is matter for a different discussion.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buy Slick Tricks! You will not regret it.

LT

Quick Reply: BroadHead Advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.