HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Are there artists among us? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/284886-there-artists-among-us.html)

iamyourhuckleberry 02-01-2009 04:25 AM

Are there artists among us?

If so, show the group an example of your work. Has anyone ever sold a piece oftheir work? Besides photography (I consider this endeavor an art form), I love to paint with watercolors and I've been known to dabble in sculpting, silversmithing, and goldsmithing. I facet gemstones and instruct the art of cabochon making. Pictures pending...

iamyourhuckleberry 02-01-2009 05:50 AM

RE: Are there artists among us?

Some finished silver belt buckles. Each buckle is about 2.5 ounces of silver

TGRIZWALD 02-01-2009 05:52 AM

i can draw a stickman after that i am done. nice looking work

iamyourhuckleberry 02-01-2009 05:54 AM

A few silver buckles in progress. Cabochons are the doomed stones on the buffalo buckle. I have two more to finish there (garnet, topaz, turquoise, and pink tourmaline-they are the birthstones of the family members of the guy I'm making the buckle for).

iamyourhuckleberry 02-01-2009 05:59 AM

Two buckles really in progress. The first is goning to be mine (it has been cast and the "sprues need to be removed)...a leopard overlooking the African savanna with a rising moon. The second is a polar bear in an ice field. I am using quartz crystals to represent snow, etc. At this point, the bear buckle is purely wax and will be cast within a week. Once it's transformed into silver, I will be able to bend silver over stone to hold the stones in place.

iamyourhuckleberry 02-01-2009 06:00 AM

A few more...a gold/silver elk tooth ring and a silver soldier for my son.

Schultzy 02-01-2009 06:32 AM

Very nice Will, I'm Impressed!!

iamyourhuckleberry 02-01-2009 06:52 AM

Thanks Steve, can you tell I'm obsessed with wildlife? When I get some better light, I'll get some photos of my watercolors.

I sure hope others share their work. I think it's fun to see projects like this. It sure beats the "fixed" verses "mechanical" debates we havebetween seasons.

Slapout_hunter1202 02-01-2009 07:08 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

I love this... It is great...I love belt buckles

Phil from Maine 02-01-2009 07:14 AM

That's some nice work you are doing! Keep it up !

Kanga 02-01-2009 07:34 AM

Will.

Not only are you a gifted hunter but also a gifted artist;)

They are really nice.

buckmaster 02-01-2009 07:47 AM

Will, If you'll give me a day or so, I'll try to take pics of my artwork from high school, nothing as nice of yours but, I did get a couple of 1st places and one best in show at local shows against my peers.[8D] I have acrylic, prisma, pencil, oil, watercolor.

They range from when I was 15 years old, to 19 years old, and you can definatley see the years of progression.[8D]

Ill post them up as soon as I can, but a lot of them have been given away to relatives.

magicman54494 02-01-2009 08:22 AM

Nice work Will, My g/f 's son is an artist. he works mostly with pencil and portraits. He dabbles in other areas as well. Check out his work on his facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=899861&id=601299186&l=21e1c

iamyourhuckleberry 02-01-2009 08:40 AM

Todd,

Sammy is one hellva artist! Some serious talent there!

Look forward to it Aaron!

Thanks Russ. I'm one of those who doesn't sleep much. If I'm not hunting, I'm thinking about hunting-or at least wildlife. Making things keeps me from being bored to death.

Kyle, I am going to reproduce that buckle for friends at cost.

Here area fewof my watercolors:

iamyourhuckleberry 02-01-2009 08:41 AM

two more

lifesadrag 02-01-2009 08:53 AM

Very nice work......I can draw flies!

Edcyclopedia 02-01-2009 09:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Very nice Will, I'm Impressed!!
Let's rename him "iamyoursilversmith"

That tooth piece is awesome!

Chris_H 02-01-2009 09:31 AM

I'm no "artist," but I love to draw with charcoal pencil/scratchboard. I've messed around with acrylic paints.

All but the elk were done in 9th to 11th grade

Charcoal elk

Scratchboard woodie

Scratchboard owl

Printed struttin tom

dogboy900 02-01-2009 09:58 AM

I sketch a little. Mainly for myself and to see the improvements, it kind of takes me away and I shut out everything else when I sketch. I find it almost like being out in the hills.

A Bulldog doing protection work.

Lion pic from Nat Geographic

My father when he was stuck in bed after a stroke.

(And yes his nose really was bent like that, he got it broken defending my mother against 4 men in Tahiti when they were enroute to NZ and it never set straight)

Huntinman23 02-01-2009 10:54 AM

I wish I could do half as good as anyone out here, great job guys.

iamyourhuckleberry 02-01-2009 01:44 PM

Super work Chris and Dogboy! Dogboy, his crooked nose adds character!

dogboy900 02-01-2009 02:12 PM

I am always amazed at the hidden talents people have.

iamyourhuckleberry those buckles are great, my brother has done some similar work with native New Zealand themes and I know the amount of work he put into getting the moulds just right. I have not been brave enough to venture into paints yet, just learning to sketch is hard enough!

Chris I really like that elk but the scratch board woodie really appeals to me, great work.

bloodcrick 02-01-2009 03:44 PM

superb work hucklebarry, they look awesome. They look like tedious work.
I guess you could call this some form of art work. I engrave canyon stones. And yes i have sold alot of them. Im currently doing/ learning Taxidermy habitat displays. I have my first ever waiting for my Archery turkey so ill wait on pics when its done. I just did one for Hunsuckers Giant buck to be mounted on but will let him post those pics when he gets his buck done ;)I do some engraving on wood to. here are just a drop in the bucket of ones i have done.

iamyourhuckleberry 02-01-2009 06:27 PM

Cool Dan, are the designs sandblasted into the cobbles or what? I cannot image them being carved preciselywithout some damage occurring. Please tell...

Chris, I think your elk would make an awesome buckle.

benno 02-01-2009 06:36 PM

Hey Huck I like the silver work, very impressive.
Do you do the casting yourself as well? I used to work as a Pattern Maker in a foundry so i know a little of the more industrial side of that type of work.
Unfortuneately i dont have a creative bone in my body so ive nothing to show of my own!

buckeye 02-01-2009 07:47 PM

Not sure if you would call this art or not but I made this out of shed antlers...

drockw 02-01-2009 07:47 PM

Im an artist... of a different kind;) Heres a couple pics from a few years ago. Ive been in several bands and recorded a couple songs...

(dont know what i was doin with my mouth lol!!!)

I havent been doin too much lately with it b/c of school, and shooting. My passion started shifting to archery about a year and a half ago or so and music slowly went down hill from there.

Derek

bloodcrick 02-01-2009 08:12 PM

Yes....It is sand blasted in using a rubber stencil and blaster. I either freehand the stencil or create a print to transfer to the rubber to be temporaialy glued to the stone. Its then cut out using an x-acto knife and peeled out, The blasting bounces off the rubber but cuts/etches anything lifted out. I then clean with air and paint before removing rubber.
Buckeye...In my eyes, thats art ;)I like it!!

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Cool Dan, are the designs sandblasted into the cobbles or what? I cannot image them being carved preciselywithout some damage occurring. Please tell...

Chris, I think your elk would make an awesome buckle.

tsoc 02-02-2009 03:53 AM

Very nice everyone! I do not have one ounce of artistic ability,which just has me really appreciate those that can do what you guy's do.

MGH_PA 02-02-2009 07:30 AM

What about digital? I can't draw for the life of me (Some of you guys are GOOD), so I turned to graphic design. Here are a few of the things I've done:

Arrow Wrap:

Steeler's Wallpaper (Small version):

Sticker:

Racing Logo:

Chris_H 02-02-2009 11:10 AM

That'd be a great idea huckleberry!

Drockw im in love with your Les Paul. How much for that piece of work? All I've got right now is a Gibson Explorer in black with a white pick guard. I can't decide between the telecaster and the les paul... its tearing me apart!

early in 02-02-2009 11:38 AM

ORIGINAL: drockw

Im an artist... of a different kind;) Heres a couple pics from a few years ago. Ive been in several bands and recorded a couple songs...

(dont know what i was doin with my mouth lol!!!)

Derek
You were just doing what rock stars do with their mouths.:D:D:D:D

buckmaster 02-02-2009 02:22 PM

Here are quite a few of mine...

Pencil

Prisma Color

Watercolor

Acyrlic

Oil

MO_Bowhnter 02-02-2009 02:37 PM

Awesome stuff Buckmaster.

MGH_PA 02-02-2009 02:49 PM

Buckmaster, that is GREAT work! Holy cow. Who would have thunk it?;)

iamyourhuckleberry 02-02-2009 03:07 PM

Holy smokes, I had know idea...

Wow Aaron! I want that pheasant for a buckle!

Yes DrockW, yours is an art as well. Is there someplace where we can hear you play? Do you have a link to your music?

Benno, Yes, I do all the casting. Lost wax casting at this level is different than industrial sand casting-it involves a high temp plaster investment and a centrifuge verses sand and pouring. I also worked in a foundry (30 years ago). I had some good life lessons there! What metals did you work with?

Cool lamp Scott. I need three for my house. Are you taking orders?

Matt...simply awesome! Yours is an art I wish I could do!

Dan, I figured it had to be a sandblast or beading process. I just couldn't, for the life of me, figure out how the stones could be chipped without causing non-crisp edges. Thanks for giving us your secret.

Excellent work everyone! Thank you for sharing. I hope we see more!

drockw 02-02-2009 11:06 PM

Yeah, ive got the myspace link to one of the bands i was in. Its rock/metal music so i assume most here wont care for it but whatev[8D] I still loveplaying that type of music more thananything b/c i enjoy the technicality/challenge (probably why i love archery/hunting soo much too) of the composition.Whats funny as most people who know meas the guy who shoots all the time would never, ever realize what ive done with music!And vice versa on the people who knowme b/c of my playing. Its like i have2 personas even though im the same guy no matter what im doing, just using a differnt weapon of choice!!!

The singer was a potty mouth.He did all of the vocals, b/c icannot write that way. Nor can i draw, so props to the artists from me, cuz im terrible at anything involving a writing utencil.The recording was shotty at best on this one. I dont have any of the others or links to them thati know of. One of the other band members has them. My guitar solo at 2:35ish isnt too bad considering i was only 16 when we recorded it. Im still actually pretty proud of it, but the recording doesnt do it justice.

http://www.myspace.com/fairlyphilosophical

I thought this was a pretty cool pic of me too that i just found...

Derek