Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 back up from ice storms >

back up from ice storms

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

back up from ice storms

Old 01-31-2009, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default back up from ice storms

Well,after getting hit hard from mother nature,I am doing fine. the ice hit our area pretty hard and many I know are without power and are expected to be for a while.BUT,I am back up and running.Just got my internet back tonight and my satelite earlier this evening.The power is on for now but it has been on and gone out once already so we are just hoping it stays on.

drockw called me today and said he was without power or water because he couldn't get the pump from his well working.

I also work with a person that doesn't have power or water,(luckily has a generator)his whole town is down(crittendon co) and there are no services up where he lives(no gas or food).His dad works for the electric company and he is expecting a month before everyone has power back.

According to him,we lost 100 poles when the hurricane winds came through,but we lost 2000 with this ice storm.The weight of the ice was too much for the poles to withstand.

There are some people that really need your prayers at this point so please keep them in them.

Other than a trailor full of limbs to cut and haul off,we seem to have escaped serious issues.

Thans Dan,your call was appreciated.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: back up from ice storms

I read Dan's thread over on the other site. Good to see ya back and yes prayers will be sent for all!!
Old 01-31-2009, 08:02 PM

I was going to call you but didnt have your number in my cell. Glad you made it out ok, we got the slip for the most part too. About half the county went down but with as many utility workers that are in Warren County, we were back within a few days. Edmonson, Muhlenburg and others are still a mess though.

I saved our landscaping with, ironically, a baseball bat and a rake. After the first night of heavy ice, I was out there that afternoon after classes, in the pouring rain 33*, hitting our trees and limbs with a rake and/or bat to knock the ice off. The rain was helping break it up some as well. We didn't loose anything, including a few river birches that were rainbow archs when I woke up that morning. Im sure my neighbors thought I was half mental, walking across my yard in shorts, boots, and a tshirt with a baseball bat and a rake hitting trees and bushes.

A girl was knocked out by a falling branch on WKU campus, but they STILL didn't cancel class...just sent out a universal text to all students to "avoid walking near trees when possible."[&:]

Prayers sent for all those without power...a bunch of my friends up in Edmonson County are still powerless, trying to deal with break ins and thefts as well. As sad as it is, there have been a TON of break ins due to this storm...people abandon their powerless house and head into town for a hotel room or a shelter....and some scum comes in a sweeps house. Pretty low to take advantage of a time like this.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I only live 33 miles from KY. and we escaped the worst of Ice, but we have family down in Morganfield and they are still in a shelter as of today.

There is no telling what thousands are going to face when they go back home. This thing was spread out over several states.

I also have family in AR. and they had 4" of ice and are still out of power.

Dan
Old 01-31-2009, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im a lineman for a power company and from what I am hearing its pretty bad down there. Im with a Rural Electric co-op.
Co-ops have a mutual aid policy on sending help(as do other companies) so I am sure there are alot of guys brought in to help.
Be patient and be safe.Dont consider any downed line as dead and watch how you hook up a generator--dont want to backfeed out on the system as it could injure / kill a utility worker
Old 02-01-2009, 01:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am sorry to here about the ice storm being so hard on all you folks down there.. I have been lucky as most all the ice storms that have came threw this way was all south and west of us. The worst one we had was one in 98 and that one was bad. I got out of work when they heavey part of it hit. It was nerve wracking driving along and watching the flashes as power lines were dropping. I drove into my yard and just as I was getting out of the car a branch snap that I had just drove under. It was a large pine tree branch that could have smashed the car up pretty bad. All in all I am glad that you are safe and i hope most were safe down there. Prayers are being sent down there so that all will recieve their power back on and all is well..
Old 02-01-2009, 02:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I feel your pain...
Those creature comforts in life really take a toll after a few days!
That whole Electricity, Water, Heat thing sure can throw a curve ball at you when you don't have them available.

NH was hit hard in mid-December (2008) with a massive ice storm and over 400k people without power.
Can you say CHAOS!
I am about 50 miles north of Boston and if this storm went a little farther south it would have been tremendous!
Not that 400k without power is anything to sneeze at, but it can always be worse.

I was without power for 7 DAYS and it sucked!!!
Fortunately my company had power within a day. We frequently have power outages, living on a lake,
so I installed a stand by generator from about two years ago, when my boy was born.
It runs about half the house with all the essentials - thank God, as we do not have any alternative heat,
like a wood stove or anything. We invited an older couple to stay over with there dog and bird for 6 days.
Also hooked up garden hoses and stored food for the neighbors.

The straw that broke the camels back was losing power on x-mas for 13 hours, by then my wife nearly snapped.
Good luck to all affected by the ice storm!
Old 02-01-2009, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear you got your power back TFOX. Good luck to the rest of those without still.

Got any pics of the damage. I've heard trees in some areas have lost all of their limbs.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dugg my phone line out and spliced it last night....Got the PC pluged into the generator[&:]. I cant stay here forlong....Lots to do[&o]. It took me 6 hours to cut my way in to my Mom and Dads. There saying it could be 3 to 6 weeks to get power. I just got water back this morning. This is my pore truck.....[>:]

Old 02-01-2009, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Main road going to town after hours of cutting...

Quick Reply: back up from ice storms

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.