Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Post your 2008 Deer Mounts >

Post your 2008 Deer Mounts

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Post your 2008 Deer Mounts

Old 01-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Post your 2008 Deer Mounts

While researching for a good Taxidermist to do my 4 African Trophies I spoke with countless guys around the country that all said the same thing, they don't use the DP because over time it has the potential to slip, shrink and lose hair, IF, the guy using it didn't take his time on the cleaning of the hide! I have a hunting buddy who had one done the DP way, his 196+ was ruined, because the guy didn't know what he was doing, I've seen this deer first hand and its not pretty, all because wanted to save money and wanted it back sooner than later.
Is that the method of mountings fault or your buddies and others faultfor going to an unexperienced taxis with their "trophies"?

Going dry preserve however, is not a way of cutting corners on your taxi bill.

Now back to your regular scheduled programing... Post your 08 mounts!
Old 01-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: buckeye

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I don't have my 08's back either and don't expect them until Nov 09.

Ya'll that have them back, your taxi's must not be very busy. [&:]
One of my best friends is a taxi... It is nothing for them to do a deer a day, two if they want to put in a long day. Let it dry and setup for two weeks, air brush it and send it home.

300 whitetail a year is very doable by a full time taxi shop.
I agree on the whitetails.

But does he also do elk, turkeys, exotics, bears, fish, small game etc.? ?

My taxi is also a very good friend of mine but I don't expect special treatment. I'll get it when I get it and that's fine. IF I get pushed up in line, some else is waiting. I wouldn't want that if I were waiting. He's a full time taxi and is swamped, he's got guys helping him out as well.

I don't mind the wait though, I take one in, pick one up. Seems like a win, win. LOL
Old 01-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Typical Buck

There is so much bogus mis-information out thereregarding the use of dry preserve in place of tanning. The simple truth is if processed properly a DP mount can lookas goodand last as long as any tanned mount, but the margin for error in processing properlyis much less when using DP.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

No problem about the hijacking of the post guys. My taxidermist said that he normally gets 250+ per year but because of the economy his numbers are down to around 150 this year. Whe I droppedmy deer offin late November he told meit would be finished inlateJanuary and sure enoughJan 25th it was ready for pickup.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since I did it myself I got it back very quickly (3 hrs), and it wassuper cheap. I don't think it looks too bad either.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

We'll get this thread back on track

Here's my 3 nicest.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob my taxi is a friend now and I don't expect special treatment but they offered me a deal and I took it.They don't offer it to everybody but did to me because of all the business I give them. They have done 8 deer and 2 elk for me. I'm spoiled now if I had to wait until the next hunting season I would be pissed.
[/quote]

I agree on the whitetails.

But does he also do elk, turkeys, exotics, bears, fish, small game etc.? ?

My taxi is also a very good friend of mine but I don't expect special treatment. I'll get it when I get it and that's fine. IF I get pushed up in line, some else is waiting. I wouldn't want that if I were waiting. He's a full time taxi and is swamped, he's got guys helping him out as well.

I don't mind the wait though, I take one in, pick one up. Seems like a win, win. LOL
[/quote]
Old 01-30-2009, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

My taxi told me around the May time frame......
Old 01-31-2009, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not my deer, but I did mount it. Late September bow kill.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mine from MidNov. got him back Dec. 29th. $275.00

Quick Reply: Post your 2008 Deer Mounts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.