Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer antler growth progression? >

Deer antler growth progression?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer antler growth progression?

Old 01-29-2009, 07:01 PM

Default Deer antler growth progression?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that a buck puts on about 20% growth from year to year until they reach about age 5.

Can anyone confirm this? Seems like it is a bit high, 20% on a 150 would bump that buck up to 180 the following year, seems like a awfully big jump in size.

I am pretty sure I read this in Deer and Deer Hunting, but the magazine rack got 'cleaned' up and a bunch of my magazines got recycled [:@]
Old 01-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer antler growth progression?

Bucks here seem to put on 20 to 30 inches a year. So I'd say depending on exact age, and region that is close.

Dan
Old 01-30-2009, 04:23 AM
Spike

I have read a similar article and I remember the number being between 10% and 15% depending on the quality of vegetation. With good vegetation or supplemental feeding, it is entirely possible to see 20% jumps but I don't think you'll see it every year. 3 - 4 and then 4 - 5 will be your big jumps. I think it also depends on the deer and if his genetics are even capable of puting on the inches.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

From what I can tell the biggest jump In Inches/growth Is from 1.5 to 2.5 and then 2.5 to 3.5. This past year my neighbor from across the road shot a 135" 4.5 year old 8 point during gun season. The previous year he had found his shed from his left side. Hardly any growth but mass on his rack compared to the year before and the food supply was good through out the year. That buck at the most gained 8" I figured. I know they usually do a little better then that from 3.5 to 4.5 but that's how he was.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is a big debate where im from. Im not too good at scoring small bucks, but most 1.5's are normal 6 and 8 points with little mass and a spread smaller then the ears. I guess this is easier to do with pictures , so ill just post a buttload to show what i mean (bear with me brothas):

1.5 Year Old Bucks:

2.5 Year Old Bucks:

3.5 Year Old Bucks:

And possibly the super freak of the area (look at the body and we also have shed evidence he is a 3.5):

4.5+ Year Old Bucks:

Now every once in awhile we have deer that don't fit the mold, usually smaller and stunted 2.5 year old bucks with weird antlers, like these 3:

Sorry for the length of the post and the amount of pictures, but this is a topic im very interested in and have posted about before. And opinions would be great and im be keeping an eye on this one for awhile. Thanks guys!
Old 01-30-2009, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

On our property, we typically see the biggest jump from 2.5 to 3.5. After that, it slows down some. I never really thought about the % increase from year to year.

Most of this increase really depends on food quality and genetics. I also read somewhere that winter harshness may contribute to the following year's antler growth. The article stated that the period right after a deer drops his antlers is very critical for the following years growth. This is because he's trying to recover from the rut and any food he eats goes directly to staying alive, rather than replenishing and supporting future antler growth. Makes sense to me.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

From what I can tell the biggest jump In Inches/growth Is from 1.5 to 2.5 and then 2.5 to 3.5. This past year my neighbor from across the road shot a 135" 4.5 year old 8 point during gun season. The previous year he had found his shed from his left side. Hardly any growth but mass on his rack compared to the year before and the food supply was good through out the year. That buck at the most gained 8" I figured. I know they usually do a little better then that from 3.5 to 4.5 but that's how he was.
Steve, I've also seen the biggest jumps between 1.5 - 2.5 and 2.5 - 3.5 After that they will add inches, but not at the rate they did those years mentioned

Dan
Old 01-31-2009, 05:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

So Dan, are you saying itspossible for a deer to add 20 or 30 inches to his score from the prevoius year? Or is that too steep an amount?
Old 01-31-2009, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not answering for Dan here but so much goes Into It Caleb that determines how many Inches that particular buck puts on. 20" to 30" Isn't out of the question.

1. Age Is the big thing
2. Harsh winters- Bucks are wore out and run down after the rut. There body's will be taking In all the nutrients and that rack might suffer from It the next year.
3. Food source In the summer.
4. Genetics- Some bucks put on much more Inches each year and have better potential then other bucks do.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

By age 4.5 yrs the average whitetail buck is at about 90% or more of his growing potential. He really won't put on much more after that.

Genes play the ultimate role in total inches NOT age.

It's true they need the age first to realize the bucks potential.. but many 4.5 yr old whitetails never even make P&Y minimums.

If he ain't got the genes to be 150". He'll NEVER be 150". That's the way it is. Age will make no difference.. other than possibly getting closer to 150".

Quick Reply: Deer antler growth progression?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.