Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Far from reality hunting.... >

Far from reality hunting....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Far from reality hunting....

Old 01-29-2009, 04:36 PM

Default Far from reality hunting....

I watch Dream Season every once and a while..I like the Drury Bros. They have good shows and dvds...they are great deer hunters I assume....but when they say that "this reality deer hunting at it's best" I laugh. come dudes, it is far from reality deer hunting.. good entertainment? yes. great info, maybe...but it's sooooo far from reality it's sick. done with my rant.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Far from reality hunting....

Not discounting what your message is Landon, but if you're gonna rant, give me the reasons why. What parts of it make it unrealistic to you? For me it's the never ending supply of prime land.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

And the guides!!! i know alot of times they claim they didnt use them but COME ON!!! if your not using guides your the best deer hunters out there cause i dont know anyone that is successful enough on a continous basis to produce a television show. I mean, if you filmed your hunts, how many shows could you make a season showing trophy animals
Old 01-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Drury's have come a very long way. They do things right on great land. They are Good hunters on great land, not great hunters on good land.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jimmy28303

And the guides!!! i know alot of times they claim they didnt use them but COME ON!!! if your not using guides your the best deer hunters out there cause i dont know anyone that is successful enough on a continous basis to produce a television show. I mean, if you filmed your hunts, how many shows could you make a season showing trophy animals
The logic being.. since you don't know anyone who can do this it's NOT possible? Huh?

Think about it. Lets say Terry Drury puts down 3 bucks in 1 year. And he's hunted like 75 days on good to great land. Then yes.. a man can do this.

I'm not saying he's never talked to a guide before.. but I'm sure any man can hold their own with those odds. The real TRICK is laying it down on film. MUCH harder.

You put any good hunter on great land and he'll put one down. Put him on good land.. and he'll find a way too. Put him on poor land.. it may take him sometime... but he'll get it done. Not the big numbers maybe.. but he'll get it done.

Now.. I'm not sticking up for anyone.. Drurys included... but what one man can do another man can do.

Oh.. and Ben/PA.. love the quote from Paine. I enjoy reading Common Sense at least once a year.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agreeduke, if the majority of the guys on here had the access to countless farms, unlimited trail cams, and no nagging boss wanting us at work, I see our results as close tothe Drury's or anyone else out there. It's the filming where their talent and luck come to play. Kudos to them for getting where they are.

And thequote, well Ipicked it up somewhere like 6 months ago and I love it. If you are recommending the book, then I will pick up a copy. I am about out of reading material, with only one Grisham left to go and no moreLee Child "Reacher" Novels in clear sight.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

ORIGINAL: jimmy28303

The logic being.. since you don't know anyone who can do this it's NOT possible? Huh?

Think about it. Lets say Terry Drury puts down 3 bucks in 1 year. And he's hunted like 75 days on good to great land. Then yes.. a man can do this.

I'm not saying he's never talked to a guide before.. but I'm sure any man can hold their own with those odds. The real TRICK is laying it down on film. MUCH harder.

You put any good hunter on great land and he'll put one down. Put him on good land.. and he'll find a way too. Put him on poor land.. it may take him sometime... but he'll get it done. Not the big numbers maybe.. but he'll get it done.

Now.. I'm not sticking up for anyone.. Drurys included... but what one man can do another man can do.

Oh.. and Ben/PA.. love the quote from Paine. I enjoy reading Common Sense at least once a year.
Dont get me wrong duke, i wish i was hunting the land that they do. But you said 3 bucks, they are putting ALOT more then three bucks down in a year. I understand that they are hunting probably 75 days a yr or more but your talking about MULTIPLE trophy animals. I dont mind if your gonna use a guide at all, i love the realtree video's and everything on there is guided. I just dont like the fact that you are gonna try to IMPLY that the majority of your hunts are DIY when they are really not. I will still watch them so please dont think i am putting them down. the original post was simply askingwhat dont you like about them. Also, i am well aware that i cant throw a 90mph fast ball but i know it can be done so the phrase "i dont know anyone who can" was a figure of speech. sorry for the misunderstanding
Old 01-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bet a lot of us would like to hunt on land like that. I know I sure would. Those guys must have worked their butts off to be in the position they are today. But to say they are hunting like the majority of us (reality) is just plain ridiculous. Like I have said before many times on here, I hunt a tough place where most people struggle to score on bucks consistently from year to year. Many guys I have talked to over the years have not even gotten more than a 4 pointer within range. Now that is reality hunting. Is it some place I would like to continue to hunt if I could gain access to better land...no way.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:10 AM
Fork Horn

I think the reality of hunting is relative. Some guys hunt in areas where seeing/shooting a Pand Y buck is probably not realistic, but they still hunt because "you just never know" or they just love to hunt. This is their reality. On the other hand there are guys who hunt areas that are loaded with big bucks and the chances of shooting one is pretty good. They know they are going to see P and Y bucks, but the might get a crack at a Booner. This is their reality.

I know this because I have lived it. I grew up in SW Wisconsin and hunted all the time. Guys shoot some good deer around their, but I never had any access to ground that would offer that chance. But for the last15 years I have been hunting in Southern Iowa. Now when I go hunting I Know that at any second I may turn around and see an absolute giant standing there. I know this because I have seen them, and a lot of them. This is reality for me.

I know guys that live in areas that are notthe most condusive to shooting big bucks, but they still give it their best and a lot of years they get it done. I also know guys around here that are pathetic hunters and shoot some pretty good bucks, because of the land they hunt on. It doesn't happen every year for them though because you still have to be a good hunter to put one down every year no matter where you hunt.

After saying all this I still say the quality of the hunter is way more important than the quality of the land. A good hunter will find a way to get it done. If they also have a good piece of land then it will just happen on a more regular basis.

Dan
Old 01-30-2009, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I watch hunting shows just because...they're hunting shows. Very few shows are actually informative to me anymore. North American Whitetail magazine is probably my favorite in terms of knowledge shared. They actually go into detail on whitetail behaviour and such.

The Drury's are good, I like em, and think they've come a long way in the industry. However, as with most of these shows, its difficult not to shoot or film big bucks if you have prime realestate to hunt in the first place. Most of these shows are done on outfitter land, where the scouting and stand hanging is done well in advance of them actually showing up. I would be willing to bet that top dollar is spent by these guys to get the outfitter to "reserve" these areas for them and their film crews.

I'm not knockin' them though. Heck, I'd do it in a heart beat if I had the opportunity to go "pro".

Quick Reply: Far from reality hunting....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.