Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Annual Bow Upgrade? >

Annual Bow Upgrade?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Annual Bow Upgrade?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Annual Bow Upgrade?

Iam seriously curious as to why a lot of guys here have/need/want to upgrade to the newest bow each and every year? Is it that it's just fun putting together and tuninga new bow each year, and you can afford to do this? Is it perhaps a "keep up with the Jone's" kind of thing? I honestly don't think that the technology is improving in leaps and bounds anymore. I believe they've"pretty much" reached thepeakof bow technology.
All I'm really seeingare minor changes, tweeking if you will, of many of theexisting components/technologies on todays bows. Yes, they might squeeze a few more fps out of some bows, but I see little else really changing. JMHOAm I mistaken in thinking this way? Anyway, I'd like to hearwhat everyone thinksabout this.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Annual Bow Upgrade?

Does stepping back from an '08 to an '07 count as an upgrade?

Just kidding, but that's what I did. I can see why people like to get a new one every year. I love shooting something different.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Bartender

I still have a 1999 Hoyt Magnatec I bought in 2000 and this past fall found out the DL on it is only
27.5 and thats as high as it will go on that bow. All these years Ive been complaining to the shop something
is just not right and once I used this cool site to learn the technical side of archery ive found out a few more things.
I have been currently keeping my on ebay to maybe buy some new mods for it so I shall see.
I am a 29" DL by the way. I am saving for a new bow in 2010 so we should see what happens.
It would be cool to have a new bow every year to test and just shoot to my hearts content.
Some are probably wondering me being a hoyt guy why I have the BT link below, well shhhh
I finally shot a couple and schweeeeet.

Sorry Racewayking, Mechdoc, and Ferg I cheated on ya,
T
Old 01-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got a new bow in 07, i got a new bow in 08, and ill probably get a new bow this summer and the reason why-Because i can
Old 01-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Spike

I think it is more of a want thing than a need. I bought my first ever new bow last year and even though I'll probably keep this one for quite a few years, if I had the money I would get a new one or two every year. I can see how it could become almost adicting to some people. I think the people that can afford to do it, do and us folks that can't question why they do.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I recently became a member of Bowtech's Pro Staff. So lets just say I'm getting my new one for a GOOD PRICE.

Otherwise I would still be shooting my '07 Guardian.

But I can tell the differance in improvements on my Captain.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a problem. I love bows, especially Bowtechs. The solution, well that is simple, buy more bows. I only wish I had more time and money to do so. That said, a new bow every year is probably in the cards for me.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I could care less what the Jones' shoot!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It is more cost effective for me to sell a one year old bow than it is a bow that is 3 to 4 years old.

Kind of like trying to sell a 4 year old computer. I've been a dealer for years, so new every year has always been a No Brainer for me.

Besides I like testing and playing with new equipment. I have a couple of new items I'll be playing with this Spring and Summer.

Dan
Old 01-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like bows a lot as well. If I had more money to dispose of, that would be one of the things I would upgrade often. I don't have a need for three models a year or anything, but having two good ones at all times would be nice (ok three, primary hunting rig, backup, and target). I like other things to spend my money on as well when I'm able to do so (truck things, fishing, guns, truck parts, tools, etc...I've got WAY more toy interests than money).

As for the new bows being worth the upgrade? I think some are, most aren't, but I don't think that's why most do it. I think most like to tinker and experiment (nothing wrong with that). I'm sure if you give Dave Cousins a bow that's 6 years old, he will still whip most of us everytime with our newest fanciest equipment.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Every 5yrs or so for me. As much as I love archery and bowhunting...I have ALOT of other things I'd rather spend my money on, not to mention save and invest it. I did just upgrade a few weeks ago from an 04 model.

For what some of the guys I know spend on the newest latest greatest equipment each season (not because they need it, but more like they can't stand to not have it), I purchased my own land to hunt on!
(that is true...40 acres, $358/mo)

To each his own for sure...but I somewhat agree with EI. I've got a 1996 PSE Inferno hanging in my basement that shoots a 530gr arrow 245fps at 65lbs. IBO on it was like 308 or something. 13yrs later...yes, we've certainly made strides, and greatly in some area's...but with the exception of the true speedbows, most IBOs aren't a whole lot higher than that old PSE. Yeah they shoot better, etc...but back then what we has shot awesome too..remember?

Its definitely more of a WANT than a NEED. I do agree though, unloading a 1yr old bow is better for the wallet than a 3-4yr old bow. Anyone need a 13yr old PSE [8D]

Quick Reply: Annual Bow Upgrade?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.