Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Annual Bow Upgrade? >

Annual Bow Upgrade?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Annual Bow Upgrade?

Old 01-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Annual Bow Upgrade?

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

I agree. Whats the point ?

I can see it being fun to go through the ropes with a new rig, each year, too, though.

I had an intermediate bowtech-diamond in 2007. I planned to upgrade to top end bow for 2008 and thats what I did. I upgraded to a General and then swapped for a Nitrous.

If I decide to put any money into hunting for 2009, I will upgrade from a bowtech to a Hoyt or Mathews.
Please buy a Mathews.[8D]
Old 01-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to buy as many as I can Having the resources to buy 5 or 6 a year like I used to is very cool- but looking back on what I used to do-I think it's a mistake and hurts your shooting- switching back and forth really never lets you dial in and "learn" a bow. Thats just me though- YMMV. Not to mention I no longer have the resources to buy a gazillion bows.

Sometimes of course you think you wil LOVE your new bow after test shooting it at the shop a few times and then down the road ..ehh..maybe not so much. So you may feel the need to experiment some way before the season- thats all well and good. Who knows, maybe I'll feel that way in a couple of months and my current bow may show some shortcomings I'm not OK with.

A bow REALLY has to be something special for me to keep it for more than one season and actively shoot it.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe you right in thinking that it is more of a want thing than a need thing. However, I can see where some people need to change bows every year. Some are like MeanV stated, are either shop owners, work in a shop, or shoot for a shop or comapany and they really need to be shooting the latest and greatest in order to get the word out. This is the case with me and there are times when I wish I could keep a bow for 2 or 3 years. I keep two bows at all times, but I don't keep any more than that. The fact is shooting time is becoming more and more limited so "getting to know" my bows is becoming harder and harder. I use to have a bunch and I would shoot all of them, but know I shoot my 3D bow and my hunting bow and anything that does not make the cut gets sold.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Beware of the man with only one bow.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, I think you are right about having a ton of bows and not getting comfy with any of them IF you shoot them all equal time. I think that most guys with the money or the connections to have a bunch of bows on hand usually have that one "go to" bow that they grab most when it comes to a specific task, be it hunting, 3D, spots, etc. That said, the guy that buys 1 new one every year and truly learns it's nooks and crannys may have a small advantage, all other things being equal. Personally, I want to have two bows at all times. I don't have the money or the marriage to do much more than that and I am ok with that. Upgrade every year? Ya, at least one.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Resale for some when the they get to old just better off to keep them,i don't do it but every year you don't you loose money.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:06 AM
Spike

I love that new bow feel!Just puts a big smile on my face. I love researching the new bows, reading reviews on them, picking out the new stuff I'm gonna put on it. I personally don't care what anybody else is shooting, so whatever the Jones's are shooting makes no diff to me.Besides, I'm shooting a Mathews...they'll have to keep up with me!
Old 02-01-2009, 05:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

It can be said that I have too many bows but if someone were going to take all facets of archery very seriously, one would need 3 to make things go easier. For example, one would want to be set up for 3D. Sure one could set up a hunting bow and then hunt with it but to take it very seriously one would set a 3D bow and let it be just that. Actually you could set two up for 3D, one for pins and one with a scope...that makes needing 4 bows.

Then, you couldn't, well you could but why would you, use it for dots (indoors). For indoors one could set up a lower poundage one pin 20 yard dot shooting bow. (or video)

Then of course you'd want that huntin rig set up and left alone.

I currently have 5, 3 09's, an 08 and an 06. I'm ordering another 09, the Air Raid.

If the Air Raid is everything I think it's going to be I may finally unload my 06 Ally cause what do I want with 6 bows. [8D]

Oh and I usually shoot everyone of them daily.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:07 AM

i would like to upgrade every year but when you got it dailed in what is the need to change. it is more of because you can then need. the pro staff boys get a heck of a deal and would be crazt not to upgrade
Old 02-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: peakrut

I still have a 1999 Hoyt Magnatec I bought in 2000 and this past fall found out the DL on it is only
27.5 and thats as high as it will go on that bow. All these years Ive been complaining to the shop something
is just not right and once I used this cool site to learn the technical side of archery ive found out a few more things.
I have been currently keeping my on ebay to maybe buy some new mods for it so I shall see.
I am a 29" DL by the way. I am saving for a new bow in 2010 so we should see what happens.
It would be cool to have a new bow every year to test and just shoot to my hearts content.
Some are probably wondering me being a hoyt guy why I have the BT link below, well shhhh
I finally shot a couple and schweeeeet.

Sorry Racewayking, Mechdoc, and Ferg I cheated on ya,
T
Have you shot an Alphamax yet Tard????