Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 warm hunting boots >

warm hunting boots

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

warm hunting boots

Old 01-29-2009, 05:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: warm hunting boots

My warmest boots are 1600 grain Danners. I wear a sock liner and wool sock when its real cold.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

Cabela's Inferno 2000 Gram Pac Boots...Lighter than my gore-tex 1000 leathers...They are not very bulky...they slip right on...and you can walk in them all day...very warm for the most part....I have issues with my feet getting cold as welland have found these to be quite warm in some nasty weather. Here in the Northern part of PA by Lake Erie it is not uncommon to see over a foot of snow and blistering cold during gun season. I bought these this year after some cold encounters in the woods....Im fairly happy with my purchase...Not too hard to spend a ton to try to keep your feet warm....

Problem you are having is most likely from sweating on the way into your stand. Feet sweat, they get damp, then once you sit down you calm back down and then cold hits you....Get yourself some quality breathable boots that do not fit tight...get some good wool socks and you should be alot better off than ur 400grams. They also make heat packs that go in on the sole of your foot as well they work from what I have heard..
Old 01-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Spike

Try wearing Muck Woody Max boots. Very warm,dry and comfortable. I had Lacrosse alphas but they were not as warm and started leaking after 2 seasons, my buddys pair started leaking after 1 season.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:33 AM

I hunt in Minnesota and Canada. I used to swear by Sorels. In recent years they fell on hard times, got sold at least a couple of times. Now IMO, they're cheaply built chinese crap. Nothing like the Sorels I had years ago. I also can't find replacement liners anymore for my old Sorels.

I was not impressed by the LaCrosse boots I looked at, tried on.

Now I've got a couple of pairs of Baffin boots (a pair of super warm pac boots, and a pair of moderately warm rubber boots). Made in Canada. They're a little hard to find in the US, but they are very well made and very warm. Also, they're not especially cheap. If you go that way, get extra liners so you'll always have a dry set (the liners even fit my old Sorels).

Check out http://www.WinterFootwear.com

They sell Muck boots too. I've never tried them.

-nosualc

ps - Hints for warm feet: A slightly loose fit is better than slightly tight. One pair of good wool socks. Never wear cotton socks.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

i really like the alpha burlys becasue of the waterproofness and that they are slip ons. so they would be good with what kind of socks?
Old 01-29-2009, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11/OH

i really like the alpha burlys becasue of the waterproofness and that they are slip ons. so they would be good with what kind of socks?
You can use a thin liner sock, but for an outer sock there are No better than Smart Wool!

Dan
Old 01-29-2009, 08:55 AM

The problem with rubber boots is that they are impervious to water. While not letting water in is good, but not letting water vapor out is bad. All that water vapor from your sweaty feet will end up in your socks and the liners. That makes your feet cold.

With rubber boots, there's nothing you can do about it except avoid sweating, and have liners and socks that stay warm when damp. Things like wool, fleece (and other synthetics) still retain heat when wet. Things like cotton actually wick heat away from you when wet (which is why cotton shirts are great in the summer).

-nosualc

ps - As MeanV2 sez, Smart Wool is a great choice.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11/OH

ORIGINAL: marquismarc

I highly recomend Sorel Glacier boots....Worth every penny.
do you wear them hunting?

any other ones you'd reccommend?
Yes I do wear them hunting as well as snowmobiling. I have had these boots for 10 years and they are still going strong. I have also sold my entire family on them and none of them have issues with getting cold either. they are light weight and comfortable. I dont wear any special socks with mine, my wife and my mom do not usually wear extra socks either unless is it in negative temps.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

Muck Boots!!!
Old 01-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Went from Browning 1200 gram boots to Cabelas 2000 gram. Very warm toasty boots but if your feet sweat walking in they will get cold anyway. The trick for me was to carry an extra pair of socks to change into. The older you get the colder you get.
I remember "waterproof" Timberlands and wet blue jeans and still being warm.

Quick Reply: warm hunting boots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.